View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2009, 06:44 PM
I must admit we were VERY lucky with Woody and he is now 100% house trained at 4 months.

Not to brag, but to share something I think was paramount in getting him to this stage, as recommended by Gwen Bailey:

When you catch your puppy going to the toilet in the house shout a word (we used "oooopsy") loud enough to stop her mid flow so to speak and coax her excitedly outside instead so she can finish it outside, then, once she's finished, reward her and take her back in. Important to show her the way to the door so she remembers over time that when she wants to wee this is where to go.

Apologies if you've been doing this, but if not try it, it really is good.

Good luck xx
gemz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-01-2009, 06:50 PM
My Theo can be the same sometimes, he is almost 4 months old now and he will wee outside big ones sometimes twice. He will come in and a while later with no warning he will just squat, but he does look at me while he is doing it waiting for me to say no. Not really sure what that is about. lol
I wonder if me being stressed at occassions could contribute to that?
Adele-84
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I must admit we were VERY lucky with Woody and he is now 100% house trained at 4 months.

Not to brag, but to share something I think was paramount in getting him to this stage, as recommended by Gwen Bailey:

When you catch your puppy going to the toilet in the house shout a word (we used "oooopsy") loud enough to stop her mid flow so to speak and coax her excitedly outside instead so she can finish it outside, then, once she's finished, reward her and take her back in. Important to show her the way to the door so she remembers over time that when she wants to wee this is where to go.

Apologies if you've been doing this, but if not try it, it really is good.

Good luck xx
We were doing that pidge, but general advice on here was to not tell her off or correct at all, when we do catch her now, I normally pick her up quick and take her outside, I tried not picking her up and getting her to walk to the door,but she just wee's all the way to the door, so theres nothing left when she gets outside. Its so frustrating I feel like im doing something all wrong, but I just dont know what. I had no problems with my staffy, and I did exactly the same with him, but just didnt use a crate.
Adele-84
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2009, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by gemz View Post
My Theo can be the same sometimes, he is almost 4 months old now and he will wee outside big ones sometimes twice. He will come in and a while later with no warning he will just squat, but he does look at me while he is doing it waiting for me to say no. Not really sure what that is about. lol
I wonder if me being stressed at occassions could contribute to that?
Maisy does tend to look at us when she does it too, its so hard because everytime she looks at me know I think she's gonna wee. Im starting to think its attention seeking.
gemz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-01-2009, 06:58 PM
yea i think theo does it for attention, at one point I thought he did it jst so I would take him out because as soon as I said no he would dart to the back door. So he knows what to do and most times he does go to the back door to tell me he needs to go.
I have tried not making a big deal about it and try not to show any emotions, jst a quick no or click my fingers so he stops and then to go take him out, as soon as he is done i will take him back in. I have stopped the treats for wees in the garden. it does seem to have helped with Theo.
I have also found he will wee in the house more often if me and my boyfriend are on the sofa together, (maybe a attention seeking, jealousy thing) do you find its at certain times or generally all the time?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2009, 06:59 PM
poss it would be a good idea to contact the breeder, she may have a few good tips on how to help
Adele-84
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2009, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
poss it would be a good idea to contact the breeder, she may have a few good tips on how to help
I tried that , but she didnt return my call
Adele-84
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by gemz View Post
I have also found he will wee in the house more often if me and my boyfriend are on the sofa together, (maybe a attention seeking, jealousy thing) do you find its at certain times or generally all the time?
Hmmm it seems to vary, but it tends to be when we take our eyes off her for 2 minutes. It does seem to be more if we are together, although since we have had her we dont get any time to cuddle on the sofa !
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2009, 07:10 PM
It's not correcting her, it's just snapping her out of it and luring her out so she associates the needing to wee feeling with going to the door and outside.

Well I think it worked for us.

Don't give up. I think it's just a case of finding what will work for you and planning a wedding is VERY stressful so can relate to that. I was doing mine this time last year and I was a wreck!
Adele-84
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
It's not correcting her, it's just snapping her out of it and luring her out so she associates the needing to wee feeling with going to the door and outside.

Well I think it worked for us.

Don't give up. I think it's just a case of finding what will work for you and planning a wedding is VERY stressful so can relate to that. I was doing mine this time last year and I was a wreck!
Hmm I may give that a try again, see if she responds better to that.
The wedding is no where near as stressing as all this wee'ing !
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >