Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
adamski
New Member!
Male 

17-07-2008, 10:49 PM

help with dog not eating with new arrival

me again! since my puppy arrived my older dog wont touch his food he just sniffs it attempts to hide it(even tho there is nothing there just thin air he sort of nods his head towards it ) i'm a little worried she's been here now since sunday she's eating fine and there seperate at feeding time.can anybody help with this cause or tell me why he's doing this ?

adam
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2008, 05:47 AM
I pressume by separate, you mean in different rooms?? If so try putting them together, BUT you supervise. If not try different rooms. When I am feeding, bearing in mind Bruce is only 9 months, I feed him and Skye in the kitchen (this is where Skye always eats) one, one end one the other and supervise (as Skye is a slow eater) Reah is fed outside, but that is because Reah is a gannet and she can only eat food with bran of it, because of her bowels.
If that doesn't work, try feeding the older dog first, then feed the pup after, keeping the pup away(perhaps shut th pup in another room) so the older one can see the pup is not around.
Make a big fuss over the older dog, telling him ''what a good boy you are etc etc.,'' I really think this is just a bit of upset on his behalf, and will sort it's self out.

The display of looking like he is burying his food, is nothing unusual, this is what wild dogs would do to protect thier food from others, then when the coast is clear they will go back and retrieve it. He is displaying a natural instinct, to hide the food from what he feels is a threat.

Maybe other will have a different take on this,after-all we all view things differently, but personally I wouldn't worry to much, as your older one will pick up on your tension too.

Good luck with you new puppy by the way xxxxxxx
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-07-2008, 07:56 AM
What I did was putting food down for the older dog, then take the puppy inside and feed by hand..

I'd never worry, if they're not hungry enough to eat, it just means they don't need it...