View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adele4dan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-12-2006, 10:52 AM

Is 10 months old time for teenage behaviour?

Greg was 10 months old yesterday, in the last 2-3 weeks he seems to be playing up alot more.
When we tell him off now he just woofs at us, sometimes he even barks really loud, which we hadnt heard him do until about two weeks ago.
He keeps having crazy moments where he runs around the house grabs things (like cushions etc) shakes them around and generally goes mad! He is walked for about 1.5-2 hours a day split into two walks.Hes on the same food as he has always been and we are not doing anything different at all.
It seems like he has been more crazy since his castration! Is this normal 'teenage' behaviour?
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-12-2006, 02:20 PM
Yep, sounds about right to me

Console yourself with the fact that it does pass.....eventually!!
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2006, 04:14 PM
Get a hammer and some nails and nail him to the living room floor lol that should work ...I'm sorry I know its not funny, can be very stressing, I just think to myself tomorrows another day maybe they'll be quieter tomorrow.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2006, 04:25 PM
Oh yes, the fun begins!
teenytiny
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-12-2006, 04:32 PM
At this kind of age my dog used to 'nudge' things and run around grabbing things and looking back at me as if to say....I got it....It was me!!!!

It doesnt last forever....promise it doesnt
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-12-2006, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by Adele4dan View Post
Greg was 10 months old yesterday, in the last 2-3 weeks he seems to be playing up alot more.
When we tell him off now he just woofs at us, sometimes he even barks really loud, which we hadnt heard him do until about two weeks ago.
He keeps having crazy moments where he runs around the house grabs things (like cushions etc) shakes them around and generally goes mad! He is walked for about 1.5-2 hours a day split into two walks.Hes on the same food as he has always been and we are not doing anything different at all.
It seems like he has been more crazy since his castration! Is this normal 'teenage' behaviour?
Hi Adele4dan What do you mean by 'playing up' and what do you tell Greg off for? Perhaps he doesn't know what you mean and the barking is Greg getting excited and joining in with the noise you are making.
If he is doing something you don't wish him to do the best option is to distract or ignore him, turn away no word no eye contact.

The mad moments are normal puppy exuberance, do you laugh at him when he barks and runs around? If so he will do it all the more because you are rewarding the unwanted behaviour so ignore him if you don't wish the behaviour to continue.

At ten months the recommended lead walking to protect his growing joints is 10x5mins = 50 min a day preferably split into two walk of 25 minutes a time , but he can have lots of off the lead play and games to tire him out.

Don't forget to give him praise when he is sitting quietly and being good, people often ignore puppies when they are doing this even though it is wanted behaviour.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2006, 06:17 PM
I must admit, I think the mad crazy moments are great fun and it's easy to be too authoritarian about such times...my view is that as long as you can say "OK that's enough now" and the pup/dog will then stop, it's fine.

Our jrt used to do what we called mad "figure of 8's" and did those until she was quite old

At Greg's age he's just letting off steam and getting rid of all his excess energy so it's not a bad thing really. But as Mini says, always remember to reward for the right thing - if he's every lying down calmly, don't ignore him and think "thank goodness he's quiet, we have peace for 5 seconds"... stroke him gently and let him know that that behaviour gets reward and attention, too

Wys
x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-12-2006, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I must admit, I think the mad crazy moments are great fun and it's easy to be too authoritarian about such times...my view is that as long as you can say "OK that's enough now" and the pup/dog will then stop, it's fine. Wys
x
I have to say I love to see a dog having 'a mad five minutes' my dogs have always done this even when they were getting old and why not! I always think they are expressing the joy of being fit and alive...
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

02-12-2006, 07:23 PM
I don't remember any of mine growing out of "mad Moments". they all had them when they were feeling on top of the world - of course you could get another dog and they could have mad moments together Kath
awleics
New Member!
Female 

03-12-2006, 04:34 PM
I can totally empathise with you. Timber is now 13 months old, and he started his terrible teans at about 10 months. I don't know how long they go through them for, but he's doing very similar things to your dog. He's also really trying to push the boundaries and assert himself. Our dog trainer says that in the wild this is about the time a young male dog would be needing to find his place in the pack hierarchy and possibly trying to increase his ranking. Timber is also castrated, but it hasn't made much difference so far!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >