Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adele4dan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2006, 11:37 AM

Whistle training, recall, help needed!

Hi Guys,

We have been training Greg to come back to a whistle,I originally started it in the house and every time he came to me he got a tasty treat or good toy, then the garden, then in the field.
Before his op (cryptorchid castration)he was doing great and would come back to the whistle no matter what, but after his op he couldnt be off his lead for two weeks. Whilst he was recovering I still did some training but just in the house/garden.
As soon as he was allowed back off his lead we began with the whistle again. He comes back if there are no other dogs around but as soon as he sees a dog he wont come back! I normally take a selection of lots of different tasty treats out with me and make a huge fuss of him when he comes back. But this just isnt incentive enough when he can go and see another dog.

Any suggestions???
zepthedep
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-11-2006, 09:12 PM
Hi
How old is he, and are you saying he diddnt run off to other dogs before the op or he did not have the chance ?.

basicly go back to basics and start all over again with his recal training , just to reinforce it, start off with a lunge/tracking line and work from there. to be honest i would not think an op and two weeks on lead would make him forget his training, chances are hes just going through a phase of testing his bounderies
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by zepthedep View Post
Hi
How old is he, and are you saying he diddnt run off to other dogs before the op or he did not have the chance ?.

basicly go back to basics and start all over again with his recal training , just to reinforce it, start off with a lunge/tracking line and work from there. to be honest i would not think an op and two weeks on lead would make him forget his training, chances are hes just going through a phase of testing his bounderies
I would agree with this.

Take in to account his age as said above.

Restart his training and only recall him when you're absolutely 100% sure he'll come back to start with. Once that's 100% start with a few distractions etc.

He's probably just paying you back for taking his nads!
Adele4dan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2006, 03:34 PM
Thanks Guys, he is 9 months old, I think your right that he is testing his bounderies, today he came back first time even with dogs around! just need to stick with it I think!!