View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adele4dan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2006, 12:45 PM

Chewing in the house, Any ideas on prevention?

Hi :smt100
We have been very lucky with Greg he has hardly chewed anything at all that he shouldnt have until recently!

He has taken to chewing the corner of the skirting board in the living room, whilst I am at work.
We have tried several things, I have had 2 different brands of anti chew spray with no joy. A friend suggested mustard, no joy. My OH spent ages at the weekend filing in the chewed bits, screwed on metal brackets so he couldnt chew the corner and he has now just chewed further along the skirting board!
He has loads of Toys at home, he has a kong stuff it ball he plays with, loads of things to chew squeak etc. He has a good walk before work and one after. The longest he is left is 4 hours, always has loads of water available.
All his puppy teeth have gone now, I thought that would stop the chewing!

Does anyone have any ideas on preventing this???
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2006, 12:56 PM
How old is he because I found my dog didn't chew anything as a puppy and was brilliant until he reached 10 months old and then started chewing corners of things and also destroyed most of his toys that he had had from being a little puppy - I think its something they go through about this age - he's fine now and doesn't chew anything he shouldn't
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2006, 12:57 PM
Hi there, sorry I dont have any good tips apart from patience. Or someone popping in when you are out to let him out for a bit of a break.

Made me laugh though, seriously you should see the damage Roxy has done to our bedroom wall
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2006, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
How old is he because I found my dog didn't chew anything as a puppy and was brilliant until he reached 10 months old and then started chewing corners of things......

Teagan was similar!
Didn't chew as a pup - reached 1, and did 2 weeks of chewing my kitchen (skirting boards, door frames - 2 parts of the concrete floor, lino!)

Luckily, the anti-chew spray worked for us!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2006, 01:38 PM
Try a mixture of vinegar and water in a spray bottle, heavy on the vinegar. House will smell like a chip shop but worked for us...eventually
petebren
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Interested in this thread, have same problem but with 2 pups! AT age Foxy said hers started so hope there is an end to it too, chewed wall in their room, all their nice raggy toys, help themselves to drying clothes off the airer in kitchen! Even chew OHs dirty smellies yuk they are not fussy eh! Hubby now got lots of odd socks!!!! Tried all sorts of remedies including lots and lots of attention but even do it when i am with them but reading or on here! Actually a bit like my young Grandson who will do anything to get my attention. Tried Vick too was told it makes their eyes sting and water, not mine though!
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-08-2006, 01:59 PM
I know as I type this that it won't be a popular response but...

Blondi, our rescued 18 Month old GSD took it upon herself to chew our sofa and chair cushions whenever we left her, even if for a few minutes. Because I'm not a believer in changing my lifestyle or furniture to suit the dog, I refused to move the cushions.

I tried sprays, I tried toys, ignoring it completely, I tried everything. All failed. Until one day I returned, picked up the cushion, pointed at it, gave a very firm "NO", and then ignored her for, I think about an hour. (I can almost hear the "there's no way the dog can relate the act to the reprimand after that time" statements coming in.)

Anway, the difference was almost immediate. The next couple of days, she still did it, but you could see by her face she knew that I was going to be displeased, (not something ever seen in her face or expression before) and so I repeated the pointing to the cushion, giving a firm "NO" and ignoring her for an hour.

The behaviour stopped after no more than a week I believe it was. Food for thought...
Adele4dan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2006, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by Foxy
How old is he because I found my dog didn't chew anything as a puppy and was brilliant until he reached 10 months old
He is six and a half months, he has really only chewed his toys until now. (the odd sock and I found a puppy tooth in my slipper but thats it!)
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-08-2006, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by Adele4dan
He is six and a half months, he has really only chewed his toys until now. (the odd sock and I found a puppy tooth in my slipper but thats it!)
Hi Adele your puppy will be teething at six and a half months, try freezing a large carrot and giving that to chew on. Just like human babies its a phase all puppies go through and hopefully the chewing should stop when teething is over. If you are not around to distract your puppy hen he chews it is difficult to prevent the behaviour. A good thing to prevent chewing is to rub a little pure oil of lavender on the surface that is being chewed but then the puppy will probably find something else to chew on.
poodle-mad
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-08-2006, 09:57 PM
Hi, I am a believer on using indoor cages, I have got 6 dogs all brought up using the cages, which has prevented damage being done to my house or funiture. This is just an idea it will be interesting to hear other peoples views on this.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >