Our sister sites
Our sister sites
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2006, 09:37 AM

feeling a little disappointed.......

hi guys,

i have been looking into how and where i can start to train to do field trials with my boy sam. the kennel club sent some info through yesterday, so i rang one of the clubs on the list local to me. i told them all about sam and what i wanted to do with him. they said that i wouldnt be able to do field trials with him because he is a rescue springer and therefore i wont have his pedigree papers and so wont be able to register him with the kennel club. the secretary suggested i do agility and obedience classes with him (which i do). the only other suggestion she came up with is getting in touch with the local shoots and chatting to them, and maybe doing a bit of beating. would have loved to have tried the field trials with him though as he is very bold and scared of nothing!! never mind eh i'll just carry on with my agility.....
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2006, 09:43 AM
You could try working tests, If I am not mistaken your dog does not need to be KC registered to enter. They are often organised by the local shoot. There are also Gundog scurry's held at Country fairs which are fun. You may find that if you start beating and doing some gundog training you find it more fun that actual competion.

You would need to do Gundog training, poosibly find a shoot which will let you beat, that is where you will find out where the tests are. They are less formal and you can get lots of advice from other gundog owners and handlers..

Just the Gundog training itself is great fun, it is marvellous to watch your dog doing the job it was bred for. Good Luck.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-06-2006, 09:47 AM
Oh, that is such a shame Will none of the clubs take him if he is registered as an 'associate'?
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2006, 10:10 AM
hi there,

think i'm going to go and see my local gamekeeper tonight and ask his advice. he is my girl bronte's breeder and has about 5 springers himself! i'm sure he can help if anyone can. the shoots are usually in autumn and winter aren't they?

i'm off to the cheshire show tomorrow, so gonna take the mutts with me and hopefully get some advice from the countryside pursuits trades stalls.

i fancy doing something more with sam. i used to show benson (he was a show springer), but as sam is a working springer i wont be able to show him (and he isnt registered with the KC anyway). also i am going to be lost in winter when the agility classes stop as they only hold them from may to september
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2006, 10:17 AM
Talking to your local gamekeeper is a good idea, he may know where the best gundog classes are, they should be available most of the year, most especially before the shooting season starts in August. You would need to have some basic gundog training before going beating as things are slightly different to obedience. You would probably find there is a lot of offlead heelwork and not as close either. Last thing you would want would be your dog tripping you up if you had a gun in your hands. You will love it, once you start it is addictive.
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2006, 10:32 AM
thanks novavizz for your advice! i'm sure i'll get started somehow . i gather that you work your dogs then by your enthusiasm????

i think i've prob got a long way to go yet, as i have only just started basic obedience classes with him (he had no basic training when he came to me!). just looking to the future i guess!
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2006, 12:04 PM
Don't give up completely. Some clubs may welcome you to do the training even if you can't compete in KC organised events. That might not be ideal, but at least it would keep you both busy during those winter months. Or perhaps you could look into doing search and rescue training with him instead..?
springergirl
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-06-2006, 12:17 PM
mmmmmmm....like the idea of search and rescue training! i'll hopefully get some more info tonight from my local gamekeeper and take it from there. wish me luck!
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2006, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by springergirl
thanks novavizz for your advice! i'm sure i'll get started somehow . i gather that you work your dogs then by your enthusiasm????:
I did quite a lot of gundog training many years ago but because I didn't drive it was hard for me to get to shoots. I did enter a few working tests but my breed was fairly unknown then and the lab and spaniel people didn't have much time for her, shame really as she loved working and was a clever little dog. I gave it up in the end primarily because I had to defend her all the time and I got sick of the patronising comments. Also, there were no HPR training classes anywhere local and lab/spaniel training is not enough for a Vizsla. Ill health now means I couldn't do it now. I'd love to be kept up to date on your progress and on how much you enjoy it.