Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adamyork
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-12-2012, 03:34 PM

Help with lead training please

Hello,

i have just this last week started putting real effort into lead training kaya.

i am doing this by walking her on a shortish lead (about 3 foot) and when she pulls i stop, then i call her to me and reward her with a treat when she stops pulling then continue to walk.

is this is good way to do it or am i doing something wrong, im worried she thinks shes getting rewarded for pulling rather than stopping.

any help will be appreciated

Thanks
Adam
Wild storm
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Hi,
Everyone may have different techniques on how to walk a dog correctly or to stop it pulling. If your way is working then thats great. what breed is she?
Adamyork
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-12-2012, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by Wild storm View Post
Hi,
Everyone may have different techniques on how to walk a dog correctly or to stop it pulling. If your way is working then thats great. what breed is she?
she is GSD X Akita X collie and is 4 months old
Wild storm
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-12-2012, 03:53 PM
4 months is a good age then to start proper training. The younger they are the better in my experience. From the beggining i would keep my pups leash smaller so she learnt to keep to heal then when she got better i would loosen more length. But if your method is workin then no-one can criticise
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Hi Adam it sounds as though you are doing ok .
It is important that a puppy never learns to pull when walking on the lead, once pulling becomes a habit it can be hard to break.
This excellent video by the dogs trust demonstrates teaching to walk on a lead without pulling...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=E1fujx6vGC4
kobi
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-12-2012, 04:05 PM
It is best to go for a walk when its not important where you go and time is not important,then when lead goes towards tight turn and walk in a different direction, dog is then behind you and wants to catch up, keep turning so dog is watching you not getting ahead. Short spells 5 - 10 mins when it suits you is best.
Adamyork
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Adam it sounds as though you are doing ok .
It is important that a puppy never learns to pull when walking on the lead, once pulling becomes a habit it can be hard to break.
This excellent video by the dogs trust demonstrates teaching to walk on a lead without pulling...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=E1fujx6vGC4
thank you, this looks promising, i will try that when she wakes up, shes still exhausted from our walk earlier
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-12-2012, 09:18 PM
how about clicker training. you click when she is walking in the correct position. I haven't tried this but the idea just came to me and I'm sure it would work well
Adamyork
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
how about clicker training. you click when she is walking in the correct position. I haven't tried this but the idea just came to me and I'm sure it would work well
Yea i might try this as my sisters dog responds very well and i can use her clicker, im going to continue trying without for a couple of weeks and if i dont make any progress i will try clicker training
kobi
Dogsey Senior
Male 

14-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Do the opposite.
Try the clicker for a couple of weeks.
Clicker training has now been around since the 40's and is established as a leading method but still catching on with dog training.
Once you get the hang of it you can use it across all your training.
Click and reward
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >