Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moosh_the_Dog
New Member!
Female 

05-12-2013, 04:35 PM

Dog clippers, need recommendations please

Hey everyone

We have been taking Moosh, our shih tzu boy, to the groomers every 8 weeks for the past year(he's 2 in march). They do a pretty good job and Moosh always looks n smells great after he's been groomed but it's £30 a time and a decent trek to get there! We have been considering doing it ourselves for a while and have finally decided to invest in some good dog clippers.

We have looked around the Internet and we are thinking of getting the wahl pro series, but it would be great if we could get some recommendations from people experienced in clipping their own dogs
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-12-2013, 04:43 PM
Hello Bee welcome .
Oster make pretty good clippers but they are expensive, some of the cheaper ones just can't cope with soft thick hair.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

05-12-2013, 05:20 PM
Andis super 2 speed are the ones I use, they are expensive, but good...
Meg
Supervisor

05-12-2013, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
Andis super 2 speed are the ones I use, they are expensive, but good...
I agree Andis are very good too...
Bee maybe do a Google search for 'refurbished Andis/ Oster clippers' and see what you can find.

I am still using 50 year Hauptner hand shears on bits of Chloe, they don't make things like they used too.
Moosh_the_Dog
New Member!
Female 

07-12-2013, 10:55 PM
Thankyou both for the replies. Had a search for both brands and the andis ones have a lot of good reviews on amazon, but yes they are quite pricey I guess the same applies though, even if those clippers lasted a couple of years it would still save us a small fortune not having to use the groomers.

I shall have to keep an eye out on eBay!

Would still be interested to hear opinions from anyone that has the wahl clippers we were originally looking at
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2013, 11:40 PM
Wahl... I don't have their dog clippers, but I can say with confidence that the clippers they make for people aren't worth a CRAP!

They don't last long, have very little precision IMO, and don't do a very good job. Note that my family is black and we all have thick, kinky hair that might be making it even worse... but still.

I think you'd be wise to go with the clippers that the other users have said. If they work well, what's the point in wasting money on clippers that aren't that good?

In defense... perhaps Wahl makes better dog clippers than they do people clippers? Maybe someone has a better experience with that brand than I have.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2013, 09:26 AM
I use Oster clippers for my poodle and they are great . Expensive but when you consider what they will save you over the years they are a great investment . I also got a poodle grooming DVD on the internet and you can probably get them for other breeds too . It was very helpful and well worth £5
Moosh_the_Dog
New Member!
Female 

12-12-2013, 07:54 PM
Well I have the andis clippers on my amazon wish list as it seems they are worth the money got very good reviews. So we shall be saving up for those

However that means back to the groomer for now! but this evening I found an advert for a dog groomers I hadn't heard of before, but they are closer then the groomers we currently use. Gave them a ring and was impressed with the full groom offered which was explained to me and surprised to get an appointment for Moosh as soon as next wednesday. My quote was £30, and they do have a pricelist online for different breeds if anyone is interested. Quite looking forward to trying the place out lol

A groom now, means two months to save, and most likely a lot of time spent searching ebay or amazon for a bargain! wish us luck!