Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
I think it was 34 from the one that had won the club show BIS?
He had 34 litters in total, however 26 of these were AFTER he had been diagnosed with syringomyelia - to me this is unforgivable!

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I thought the KC people were right in saying they could not force breeders to test or change. They can`t. They are (as are the RSPCA) a self-elected quango, not accountable to anyone outside their own organisation. However, they certainly could make a start by changing breed standards to stress `fitness for purpose` and take some of the emphasis on looks away.
However they could enforce some mandatory health testing like they do on the continent.

Originally Posted by AliceandDogs View Post
On the other hand, there ARE good breeders who do only breed healthy dogs, and I don't think this was portrayed at all. My Border Collie is touch wood, totally fine, but my crossbreed girl is covered in lumps & has fits just like the boxer did. I don't like the way ALL KC breeders could now be seen as terrible. BYBs will be advertising non-KC as a plus point.
This is one of my worries, whilst the program was as expected (biased towards pedigree dogs) I had hoped they might highlight the fact that there are decent breeders out there and stress the importance of health testing. It was incredibly distressing to watch the clip of the poor boxer fitting

Overall, I think it could have been a lot worse. I must admit I really didn't like Mark Evans - calling all pedigree dogs mutants? I certainly wouldn't take any of my dogs to him if those are his views (I looked very carefully into the health of the lines my dogs come from before going for those lines).

I did think they chose to omit certain pertinant information though, such as stating that white boxers were culled for looks alone - there was absolutely no mention of these dogs having a much higher likelyhood of being deaf etc. I also was unaware that white GSD's were routinely culled as seemed to be inferred in the program.

I did like the representation of the changing scull shapes though!

What are everyone elses views on the statement that "animals with genetic issues should be banned from dog shows"? Whilst this sounds like a good idea in theory, it would be horrendous to put into practice, where would you draw the line?
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by Skyespirit86 View Post
I don't know for sure, but I remember reading somewhere that although the kennel club tells members of its responsible breeder scheme to do health tests, that that is as far as it goes. I read that you could still breed a dog and register it if it got a bad result. It just had to have the test.
DNA Test Control Scheme For Irish Red & White Setters
19-Jun-08

The Kennel Club would like to remind all breeders of Irish Red & White Setters that new rules regarding the DNA Control Scheme for CLAD (Canine Leucocyte Adhesion Deficiency) for the breed are now in place.

As agreed by the Irish Red & White Setter Breed Clubs and the Kennel Club, the Kennel Club will now refuse registration of Irish Red & White Setter puppies unless both parents have been tested clear of CLAD, or are hereditarily clear of CLAD.

No Irish Red & White Setter carriers of CLAD will be registered after 16th June 2008.
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 11:16 PM
White GSDs arent routinely culled that stopped many decades ago.
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 11:16 PM
Very Harrowing veiwing...the poor Cavaliers never knew that condition existed, It certainly opens your eyes to some unbelievable practices.

I'm shocked. and that woman who bred that dog knowing full well he has that awful disease is just despicable.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 11:18 PM
The flip side to this is how many people are going to start breeding xbreeds (as if there arent enough already) and have the excuse that they are doing right because of the fact they are x breeds and so healthier?

mo
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 11:19 PM
I think that many litters from a healthy dogs is wrong
that many from an unhealthy dog!!
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
He had 34 litters in total, however 26 of these were AFTER he had been diagnosed with syringomyelia - to me this is unforgivable!
Thanks for putting me right Greyhawk - I knew 34 came from somewhere! Dreadful.
fluffybunnyfeet
Dogsey Senior
Male 

The KC could enforce health checks by simply refusing to register any that don't comply.

They won't though because its full of pomp and something else that goes in bags (that you have to pick up when walking the dog but eludes me at the moment).

We bred one litter but tested (on our side ) for any relevant traits and diseases we could. Many don't do anything at all.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
It was incredibly distressing to watch the clip of the poor boxer fitting

You're telling me. You should see it from here.

Overall, I think it could have been a lot worse. I must admit I really didn't like Mark Evans - calling all pedigree dogs mutants? I certainly wouldn't take any of my dogs to him if those are his views (I looked very carefully into the health of the lines my dogs come from before going for those lines).

I would, I think he has a good perspective of how things are at the moment.

I did think they chose to omit certain pertinant information though, such as stating that white boxers were culled for looks alone - there was absolutely no mention of these dogs having a much higher likelyhood of being deaf etc. I also was unaware that white GSD's were routinely culled as seemed to be inferred in the program.

That is awful, on top of the other cullings that were mentioned.

I did like the representation of the changing scull shapes though!

What are everyone elses views on the statement that "animals with genetic issues should be banned from dog shows"? Whilst this sounds like a good idea in theory, it would be horrendous to put into practice, where would you draw the line?
I think it would be a good place to start again. As far as I am concerned, as the owner of an epileptic dog (it's in his lines) I think drastic measures are called for.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2008, 11:22 PM
If a breeder is prepared to breed from a dog that has a genetic disorder, not allowing them to show wont make any difference IMO they will still continue to breed

Mo
Page 11 of 65 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 61 > Last »