Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-12-2005, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by rich c
Anyone seen/heard of a docked tail dog doing any good in agility contests?
Yes - Boxers, GSPs, Schauzers, Poodles, etc. etc.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2005, 08:46 PM
Great explaination of the ratio of spinal cord/boney bits!

Yep, I know the main balance organ is the inner ear, but as far as I'm aware, pretty much all animals with a tail use them as a balance aid. On a purely logical level, surely removing the tail will incur a (slight) loss of speed/agility.

Initially perhaps but I know cats that have had their tail amputated after being run over and after a short time to adjust go back to life as normal!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2005, 10:16 PM
Yes loads of docked dogs do also dogs that carry their tails over there backs, if you watch one of the breeds who do not carry their tails hanging down at the back you will realise that some do not use the tail at all when moving or even in interaction with other dogs. When moving or working in thick undergrowth or long grass a long low set tail may well be a hindrance which I would guess is why dogs thus equipped are inclined to hold the tail up when moving although not all do and it is common to see a Whippet running with the tail held low.

Tails differ a great deal in type, set and carriage and even within the same breed one dog will hold the tail almost straight behind when moving at speed and another will hold it over the back, some will hold it stiffly others let it flop about so that when their body turns the tail goes in the other direction but this is not steering it is the effect of centrage force. Even amongst my own dogs 3 run and corner with the tail tightly curled on their croup and the other 1 streams hers out the back and very strange it looks to as an Elkhound’s tail can’t be totally straightened as the lower vertebrae are bent
Below Solomon running flat out
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2005, 10:34 PM
Another thought has just struck me, what about all those docked terriers who are able to chase vermin around corners with no help from their short tails they are very fast and very agile. What about the docked gundog breeds they have to move fast and with accuracy.

Whether or not docking should be allowed I do not think the balance arguments really holds water, one only has to watch dogs for a while to realise that different dogs use or don’t use their tails in different ways and IMO it has little to do with steering.
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

07-12-2005, 03:56 AM
I guess that about covers off that angle then.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2005, 06:33 AM
I guess that about covers off that angle then.
Well I could just as well be wrong and you right, but it would take a lot to persuade me that a dog needed a tail to function. Primates yes, Canines NO.

Thank you for the discussion, it is nice to hear opinions from a different viewpoint without it getting over heated.
Dibley
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-12-2005, 02:16 PM
Have you lot been hassling that TV vet Emma by any chance? Because she's certainly hit back at all our arguments (have a look on her site)

I have to say nothing I've read from the pro docking people on here will ever convince me that docking for cosmetic reasons is right. I still believe things should be left as God intended unless for working purposes when it's in the best interests of the dog.

If the kennel club said tomorrow right docking is unacceptable for cosmetic reasons how many of you hand on heart would really WANT to cutt off a dogs tail. I believe if you are being honest with yourselves not many! Maybe I am just from a different kettle of fish so to speak

Also no-one explained to me why it is that my old cat gets into far more dangerous situations than even a lot of working dogs and he still has his tail intact? Shall we cut off all dogs tails incase they may get injured on their walk? and why haven't we all started on the cats?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-12-2005, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Dibley
Also no-one explained to me why it is that my old cat gets into far more dangerous situations than even a lot of working dogs and he still has his tail intact? Shall we cut off all dogs tails incase they may get injured on their walk? and why haven't we all started on the cats?
Hi Dibley a couple of observations regarding cats, I don't think you can compare the two species . Cats are lighter, more agile and in some cases have a thicker hair covering on the tail than many breeds of working dogs. Also cats hunt with thought and stealth for pleasure and at their own instigation.
Think of gundogs on a shoot, they don't hunt with thought and stealth like a cat but rush into a thicket in excitement with no thought for safety, the same with terriers, they see a rat and they are gone, working dogs obey their owners and instincts regardless of the conditions unlike cats who hunt with care and please only themselves .
Dangermouse
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-12-2005, 06:26 PM
apologies if I am repeating something others may have said, but I haven't read all (10!) pages.
I am anti docking. In Denmark (where I live) docking is illegal, and has been for a good few years now. You see rotties, Dobermans, boxers and terriers and all those sorts all with their long tail wagging away merrily . Rotties ARE sometimes born without tails, but not all that often. I heard once that studdies shows that docked dogs are more prone to bowel incontinence at old age, because of weaker muscles in the back/tail area... lots of wagging makes the muscles stronger, but when you only have a small stump, the muscles don't get as much exercise, and don't hold the same strength. This makes perfect sense to me. Can I just say how ironic I find it when people mention that it should be down to personal choice.... I am sure that if anyone asked the dogs, they'd choose to keep their tails!
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2005, 06:31 PM
Just as a correction Dangermouse from a fellow danish member, docking isnt illegal in all breeds here
And the rules on which breeds its allowed on and which it isnt is a whole diff debate that will show just how stupid rules can be when they are made by someone who has no idea what it means to work a dog! IMO anyway.
Page 15 of 33 « First < 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 25 > Last »