Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lainyb
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-12-2009, 09:05 PM

Dog Scootering Advice Needed

I would really love to get into this sport with my dog, he is a 10 month old utonagan. I know he is too young just now to put on a scooter, but was just looking for some advice as to what I could be doing with him training wise in the meantime.

I also spotted this starter kit and was wonderin if it is a good buy as a start up scooter?
http://www.snowpawstore.com/dog-scoo...ck-single.html

Any advice gratefully received
SibeVibe
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Hi Lainyb

I notice that you are in Ayrshire too. You are very welcome to borrow my scooter when the boy is old enough to run. We could easily meet up when I have my guys out a scoot. You would be able to see if it's something the lad is going to enjoy before purchase.

Don't hesitate to get in touch if you want to

Take good care of yourself.

Seoniad.

ETA. In the meantime be a good idea to get the boy out in front when you are walking and start to teach him some commands. Gee, right. Haw, left. Trail, straight on. On by, when passing other dogs. Whoa, stop etc.

Once he has a grasp of what's expected of him you can pick up the pace and run with him.
lainyb
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-12-2009, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by SibeVibe View Post
Hi Lainyb

I notice that you are in Ayrshire too. You are very welcome to borrow my scooter when the boy is old enough to run. We could easily meet up when I have my guys out a scoot. You would be able to see if it's something the lad is going to enjoy before purchase.

Seoniad.
That would be great thanks......just a few more wee questions.

1. what should i be doing training wise with him just now in preparation for when he is big enough

2. Should i purchase a harness to get him used to it

3. should i have him pulling light weights just now

Really havent got a clue but hey ho you got to start somewhere
SibeVibe
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-12-2009, 01:07 PM
I just edited my orginal post when I realised I hadn't answered

Always a good idea to get a dog conditioned into wearing a harness before they run. My young lad hated getting his harness on at first. Loves to work, but not the getting ready bit. Harness equals lovely sweetie now for him. He runs to get his harness on. Make it a calm nice experience for him and he'll be fine

If he were my boy I'd concentrate on teaching him his commands first, then make sure he enjoys running in harness.

Take care.

Seoniad.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by lainyb View Post
That would be great thanks......just a few more wee questions.

1. what should i be doing training wise with him just now in preparation for when he is big enough

2. Should i purchase a harness to get him used to it

3. should i have him pulling light weights just now

Really havent got a clue but hey ho you got to start somewhere
hi
i know this question was not aimed at me

imo you should get a harness and get him used to it,i would also teach him a 'line out' command (out infront on a taught line) it may feel strange to him at first,a stop command and a left and right command
they would be the first things i would do
have fun
eta... oops sibevibe already answered
lainyb
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-12-2009, 01:40 PM
It was a question to anyone im just after advice and info from folks that do this sport with their doggies

So what type of harness would you recommend that i get for him in the training process?

And do you need public liability insurance for this sport?

He already is quite a puller when walkin him, he has no problem being out in front, he actually prefers it and seems happier when he is pullin your arm from the socket
lainyb
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by SibeVibe View Post
Hi Lainyb

Seoniad.

ETA. In the meantime be a good idea to get the boy out in front when you are walking and start to teach him some commands. Gee, right. Haw, left. Trail, straight on. On by, when passing other dogs. Whoa, stop etc.

Once he has a grasp of what's expected of him you can pick up the pace and run with him.
wonder if i could be real cheeky sibevibe and actually come and see your doggies in action and see how its done, i know ill take more in if im shown what i should be doin with mine rather than ploddin along blind.

It was masel that brought lanie up to the fundraising day you had the other month there