Our sister sites
Our sister sites
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2005, 03:42 PM

Do I let her use my Stud???

Ok im looking for some advise as to what to do. Heres the problem

Back in Oct last year a woman called to say her bitch was in season and needs mating in 5days time and can she use my stud dog Reeno (Cavalier) she had been put intouch via one of my other dogs breeders. I said that she could use him as long as i saw her ped, reg docs (didnt see them were still in post due to change of ownership) and I was happy that she was healthy and. All was ok, she was a maden bitch which was fine as my dog is experianced.

Well off we went to do the mating (went to bitch as i cant do studs here atm which she was more than happy with) Well Reeno wouldnt mate her, owner wouldnt hold bitch after me telling her time and time again, I had a look and she wasnt even ready she said that she was about day 10 but her colour was still very red. So i tried again 2 days later still couldnt do it (still not ready) At this point im getting mad as shes saying shes ready but Reeno isnt convinsed and neither was I. On the 3rd and 4th attempt we went to my other dogs breeders so she could see and try. The woman still wouldnt hold the bitch, Reeno doesnt like being handled and doesnt need to be, but who we went to was touching Reeno and he didnt like it, by the 4th attempt we got a mating but no tie which has happend before and we have had pups. the bitch shoudl of been on day 16 according to what we were told at 1st but no it turns out shes on day 11 she wasnt really ready still. She wanted to wait untill there were pups before she paid me but i kicked off and i got Reenos money.

In Dec the pups were due, I get a call from a friend who says oh that bitch missed shes just left me a message to tell me. (shouldnt I have been told it was my stud dog???)

Well the bitch came into season about 9days ago and called my friend again to say she will be using Reeno again (she didnt call to ask if it was conveniant as i didnt even know she was due in and she has my number) I tried to call her once i found out she wanted to use Reeno but no answer, shes no called my friend again whos rang my mum ( i dont even live with my mum) to pass a message to me saying i either let her use Reeno TODAY or give her the stud fee back

I cant get to her today as Ste isnt home from work and we arent around tomorrow as I have to go and work with Ste. Shes refused to get her bitch swobed (make sure shes got no infection ) which i get all bitches to do, she got angyr when i asked to show me her reg docs as I didnt get to see them last time (again do with all bitches)

I am reluctant to let her use Reeno as shes not called me to tell me she missed last time (1st ever for Reeno but still his fault she says) or that shes even in season.

I never have a prob doing a repeat if they only get 1 pup or they all die ect but this woman is taking the P***

What do I do??

Sarah
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2005, 03:48 PM
How well do you know her?

If I didnt see registration docs and other relevant info etc i *personally* wouldnt let her
michelled
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2005, 03:48 PM
give her the stud fee back!
i wouldnt want anything to do with her. what a pain in the ***.

also as shes already been funny god forbid there be anything wrong with the pups....that would be all your fault to i bet!
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-04-2005, 03:52 PM
I agree with Michelled, more trouble than it's worth.
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2005, 03:59 PM
I dont know her at all most people who use Reeno are show prople so i know nearly all of them, but shes a pet breeder (nothing against them just i wouldnt know her if i fell over her)

If she can provide all the docs and get the bitch tested then at least i know my dog wont catch anything then fine but shes sure her bitch hasnt got an infection (think shes sycic (sp?) )

If shed told me the bitch was due in I would of had her stud fee waiting but as i have only just found out I dont have £250 to give to her (only Ste working im a carer so not on much)

I have to call her later (so im told) but im putting it off, i have never had trouble like this with either dog.
LF
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-04-2005, 04:06 PM
Hi Sarah,

I don't see why you should give the stud fee back at all. It is a fee for the services of the dog and if there are no puppies, so be it. You wouldn't even have to offer a free repeat if you didn't want although, of course, most stud dog owners do. It's not as if your boy was a maiden himself; he's experienced and proven

As for a repeat, quite frankly, I'd be very reluctant indeed in the situation you've described. She did not co-operate with the original mating, didn't even tell you the bitch had missed and then doesn't even have the courtesy to contact you herself to make arrangements for the courtesy repeat mating. Add to that her reluctance to show you the registration or to get her bitch swabbed and it all adds up to someone not prepared to accept the conditions for the use of the stud that you as the stud owner have quite rightly have laid down. In fact she doesn't seem to even have any manners

Lesley
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2005, 04:15 PM
I would say 'no papers, no stud' simple as that I'm afraid. How do you know if she's had all the health tests, it's just her word against your, this is your boys....and you line here that could get slandered if you get unhealthy pups due to the bitch.

Did you give her anything in writing to say you would repeat the mating, should there be no pups?

I'm afraid if in the cocker world, if we didn't show the papers for clear eye KC/BVA certificates, the bitch wouldn't be allowed any where near the stud.

Not sure what to suggest, but good luck!
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2005, 04:17 PM
Oh thanks Lesley that is exactly what I have been thinking. She paid to use my boy which she did. If you go to a sperm bank and have to pay and dont get pregnant does that mean you get a free try next time?????????
I gave her a stud resept which said (Repeat if no pups or pregnancy) I dont even know if there were pups and she absorbed them or if she just didnt take she wont tell me anything, it didnt say anything about a (FREE repeat if no live pups) which i am very carfull to point out at time of mating.
LF
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-04-2005, 04:33 PM
Hi Sarah,

Hmm, I can see a wee problem! If you said repeat in writing, even though you didn't stipulate free, it might be assumed you meant free due to it being common in dog breeding to offer a free return. However, fear not!! Even if you decided to accept she might be entitled to assume it was free, you would still be allowed to lay down the conditions of using your stud. That would mean she should have contacted you directly in plenty of time to give you notice of the expected time, to show you all documentation requested and to have her bitch swabbed. Plus, you didn't say repeat next season!! If she doesn't meet your not unreasonable conditions I can't see that she can complain.

A middle way to get out of this would be to call her up and explain to her that she has not gone about things in the right way. Tell her a mating at this season is not possible because she hasn't shown you the reqested paperwork, hasn't had her bitch swabbed and has not given you decent notice of the event. Tell her you will be willing to offer the repeat at a subsequent season, but only if she meets your normal conditions for use of your stud. If she doesn't meet the conditions, which I doubt she will based on her conduct so far, then you're off the hook.

Alternatively, phone her up and give her your brilliant sperm bank argument and tell her the repeat would have been charged for anyway

Good luck with whatever you decide to do

Lesley
enerosar
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2005, 04:35 PM
Oh sod it shes not using my boy. I will call her in a min (got to get guts up and calm down or i end up yelling at her cos she makes me so mad) I will ask her to provide upto date heart and eye (heart with in last 3mth as we have MVD in the breed) which i know she wont have, proof that she didnt have a litter last time or was treated for absorbing a litter (uses same vets as me so i know they will put it in writing to the best of the vets knowlage) reg docs (which i know she has got but couldnt find last time ended up in post due to change of ownership) and proof that she was swobbed and cleard for this season (which she wont have)

My boy is heart and eye clear with upto date certs, going for heart ultra sound next month as son has murmer so want him checking, going for MRI later in year as we have SM (ArnoldChiar) in the breed with 99% of dogs having the disformed scul so i want him checking for his sake and the benafit of the breed as hes nearly 7 and showing no signes.

So she cant say i dont have the right to check ALL her docs

Like its been said any probs with the pups it will be blamed on Reeno.

I pup repeat if no pups or pregnancy, she wont tell me if she actually took, my friend knows but said does it matter if there were no pups.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >