Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2009, 11:17 PM

Free Standing?

Could anyone give me some advice on how to train a dog to free stand? I'm struggling to get to ringcraft lately and although Oscar is trained to be shown stacked, I'd really like to try free standing him as he's such a blimmin' fidget when being stacked!

Any thoughts/advice welcome (and sorely needed!).
alady??
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2009, 11:22 PM
They all fidgit ...the more you train to stand and then place the feet the more of a habit it will become to the dog to stand properly...then when you free stand the dog more than not should place his/her feet where they would generally be placed but in a more relaxed manner... in theory
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2009, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the reply. I know things will improve with time, but I'd really like to get some advice on free standing. Partly just because I'd enjoy the challenge really!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2009, 11:52 PM
Well I can only tell you how I trained Maddy to do it if that helps.

Stack him and then keep the treat in your hand, don't let him take it, just lick at it, then leave his head, keep it in the right place with the treat by moving it away slightly from his face a few seconds and then back to let him nibble/lick, increasing the time as you progress. You can get his tail right usually if you stroke it outwards on the underside, mind Maddy's is a stump so easier to train her to stick it out as it usually is anyway when she is alert. But she learnt as soon as I touched it underneath I wanted her to hold it out.

With Maddy i'd always be putting her right, anywhere we were and I had a chance, just stack her then tell her to wait and introduce 'stand' and let go, treat her for keeping still. Even in the living room watching tv, if she came over i'd put my foot under her belly anyway to tickle it and she'd stand still for it so i'd also move her hind legs out and tell her 'stand'. Don't make it perfect at first, just reward him for standing still and then for letting you move his legs. Before long she just 'got it' and everytime she stood still she'd stand right, or near enough. Then it was just perfecting it. She's fairly lost it now mind, haven't stood her for a year or more probably.

I know it's not explained very well but hope it helps!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Thanks hun, it's certainly a start.

I didn't know Weims were free stood btw! Goldens always make me chuckle, they seem to do both - like they just can't decide which is right!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Thanks hun, it's certainly a start.

I didn't know Weims were free stood btw! Goldens always make me chuckle, they seem to do both - like they just can't decide which is right!
No, you know you're right, they aren't, but i'm just a cocky sod.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 12:03 AM
Oh I honestly didn't know, I walk around with my eyes closed most of the time!

I do think most breeds look better free stood anyway, don't know why more don't do it?!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 12:06 AM
Oh I honestly didn't know, I walk around with my eyes closed most of the time!

I do think most breeds look better free stood anyway, don't know why more don't do it?!
I don't know, I showed Dusty a few times just for fun and freestood her once and I actually got told off by a 'dachshie person' (not by the judge) even though she stood perfectly, could tell from a mile off they weren't my breed, she won over 2 well bred whippets the time I did mind, I nearly died.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 12:09 AM
Now how on Earth would you stack a Dachsund? Surely you'd have to lie on the floor!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2009, 12:14 AM
Now how on Earth would you stack a Dachsund? Surely you'd have to lie on the floor!
LOL! EXACTLY! WHY DO THINK I FREE STOOD HER????? She's a miniature too to top it off lol!

I think they meant on the table to be fair, but she came first so I wasn't caring lol. x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >