View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2007, 09:15 AM
The KC does not have a recommended breeder list, they will list any KC registered puppies on their puppy sales list & also they have an accredited breeders register.

However until the breed councils put pressure on the KC(as was done for Irish Setters)to ensure no puppy is registered unless the parents have had all available DNA & clinical tests & the results are such that puppies born will have no chance of having genetic conditions & less chance of having polygenetic/external factored conditions(such as HD)then puppies will be still registered from untested parents.

AT the end of the day you would not(well shouldn't)buy an over 3 year old car without an MOT & as in the eyes of the law dogs are simply property & should be fit for purpose. Dogs not sold as a business(ie by a hobby breeder) are covered by Caveat emptor, so it is also the buyer who should ensure that the puppy is in good condition when bought & that the parents have had all clinical & genetic tests done before being bred from.
Some of the complaints have nothing to do with the KC & as has been said sold against their rules & by people breaking the law, not just KC rules
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2007, 09:37 AM
i think the GP see the KC as the governing body of the dog world so if any problems do arise then they are the first port of call.

Not so obviously!

the KC should be more transparant on what they actually do and what they stand for because more and more they back away from these sort of issues.

they like to stand behind bans but really they should be helping the dogs.

dog/puppies come under the sale of goods act.
not fit for purpose. The courts are the only way to claim any monies back.

something the KC should take up. the're big enough!

waste of space
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2007, 09:49 AM
I find all of this a little confusing to be perfectly honest.
I have never thought that the KC was an 'overseer' of the dog world,I don't think they are the dog police, they are an organisation that promotes dogs and responsible ownership, they have set up a scheme that promotes responsible breeding but surely they do not have the time or money to vet every breeder.

I think the puppy buyers need to take some of the responsibility onboard. If buying a puppy of a given breed there is plenty of info out there and plenty of people who are willing to help ensure that the buyer gets the best pup possible, surely thats what the breed clubs are all about. In my chosen breed I have found both the breed clubs and breeders to be incredibly friendly and amazingly helpful when approached. I wouldn't think about approaching the kennel club, all they do is provide a list of KC registered pups available. I see it a little like say....Panasonic make my tv....I might research their different tvs on the net, but I go elsewhere to buy....I decide to buy from say Currys...there is a problem with the tv, do i go to Panasonic or Currys? Ummmm Currys.
The Kennel Club are an umbrella organisation and in all honesty, they are probably doing all they can. Have you seen all the pups registered on their site??????? How much would it cost to have someone go out to every litter and breeder and do checks? Perhaps then the answer is for the KC not to have a list of pups available, for them only to list the Breed Association details???

The key here of course is education, people need to know how to go about buying a decent puppy. In all honesty, I know a lot about dogs, I know a lot about my chosen breed, but all the infighting (not in my breed I hasten to add, everyone has been wonderful) in the dog world just serves to make it all the more confusing and difficult and at points in my search I almost gave up and tried to find a pup in a rescue centre as it was all very confusing. I think people need to pull together to sort this out, not break away, work should be done WITH the KC IMO.

Sorry for going on.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2007, 09:51 AM
Why should KC take legal action if a member of the GP buys a puppy from a pet shop/puppy farmer/puppy dealer ? It is the end consumer(buyer)that should do this & TBH too few people think twice about buying a puppy having little or no knowledge of the breed or even owning a puppy/dog.

I have never bought a dog on impulse I've looked at breeds, met them, spent time with the breed & then thought long & hard about getting one. This is why I was 20 before I got my first Border collie. Even my first GSD came from a very knowledgeable breeder Gwen Barrington, who was X raying her breeding dogs for HD many years before anyone else.

The KC is a registry of pedigree & activities dogs that runs activities for dogs & has instigated health systems, initially voluntarily & it will eventually be compulsory. The ISDS with the BVA started the eye testing scheme & it was quickly taken up by the KC & now with the DNA tests becoming available they have taken them up too.

There will always be poor breeders I'm afraid & until the GP start to look at the health side of dogs before buying puppy farmers & BYB will still have a ready market. As someone else has said if you can buy a breed cheaper from a BYB/Puppy Farmers then sad to say they will still sell puppies
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Excellent!! At last someone is trying to make a stand. Well Done Joanne :smt041 :smt041
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2007, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Instead of having a go at the KC (I agree they are not perfect but it isn't them breeding the dogs) everyone of those complaining should take the breeder to court for compensation. If more people did that than A) there would be a public record of the case and B) it may be enough to stop some breeders if they have to cough up.
I agree absolutely Becky the only way to get through to the sort of people talked about here is to hit them where it hurts - their wallet!!
However, the OP is jeopardising any claim owners may make, by appointing themselves judge and jury and naming specific 'breeders' (I use the term very loosely!).

I am sure the OP has the best of intentions, but naming people on a talkboard prior to any legal action is not the way to go.

Unfortunately ours has become a 'want it now' society, and people will go for a quick fix (cheapest/soonest available etc) - in fact i was at a show on Sunday, and a couple enquired if I had any puppies. When I explained that I had not long bred a litter (I was showing one of the pups) and wouldnt be breeding in the near future, they asked me if they could buy MY pup! I politely declined, but very nearly wasnt polite when, (having watched him win a well attended Junior class and then go BP), offered me silly money as I came out of the ring!!

While I am totally anti irresponsible breeding, I do think some people deserve all they get - the poor pups produced and bought by both sets of morons DONT deserve any of it!

The thing I find sad about the OPs post is that there seems little concern for the dogs, just the people and their pockets JMHO
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2007, 10:02 AM
Some good interesting posts.

The information about certain breeds is out there,it's upto the individual to do there research and ask to see all the relavant paperwork,such as health testing certificates etc.

I noticed in the OP about the Staffie,why would someone buy an underweight pup,surely that is cause for concern in itself.
If people choose the cheaper option,without any tests done paperwork etc,then Yes they could be heading for a whole load of trouble.
The KC lists all Breed Clubs,as well as Breeders with pups,so why arn't people getting in touch with those to find a recommended,reputable breeder.

We sent Megs Registration off to transfer,along with her Dams certificates from the AHT,the KC would not put her results on her registration until it had been confirmed by the AHT that her Dam was Clear.So again it's up to people to check this out,if the results are not on there Why?
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2007, 10:03 AM
The OP is also blaming the wrong people, those responsible are a) the bad breeders and b) the idiots who buy them (as Ramble said).
As has been said there are many people who think they are clever because they have got themselves a 'bargain' when they haven't thought any of it through at all.
If I paid £5 for a pair of jeans then in reality I wouldn't expect them to last too long, however, if I paid £100 for a pair of jeans then I would have a greater expectation and I apply the same to everything I buy.
The buyer needs to ensure they get the research right in order to get a 'good deal' but of course are very quick to blame everyone but themselves of their mistakes
Becky
surannon
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2007, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Why should KC take legal action if a member of the GP buys a puppy from a pet shop/puppy farmer/puppy dealer ? It is the end consumer(buyer)that should do this & TBH too few people think twice about buying a puppy having little or no knowledge of the breed or even owning a puppy/dog.

I have never bought a dog on impulse I've looked at breeds, met them, spent time with the breed & then thought long & hard about getting one. This is why I was 20 before I got my first Border collie. Even my first GSD came from a very knowledgeable breeder Gwen Barrington, who was X raying her breeding dogs for HD many years before anyone else.

The KC is a registry of pedigree & activities dogs that runs activities for dogs & has instigated health systems, initially voluntarily & it will eventually be compulsory. The ISDS with the BVA started the eye testing scheme & it was quickly taken up by the KC & now with the DNA tests becoming available they have taken them up too.

There will always be poor breeders I'm afraid & until the GP start to look at the health side of dogs before buying puppy farmers & BYB will still have a ready market. As someone else has said if you can buy a breed cheaper from a BYB/Puppy Farmers then sad to say they will still sell puppies

I totally agree with this post. Too many people see the KC as the bad guys when things go wrong with their dogs. As has been said, breeders can be taken to court if it is obvious that the puppy was ill due the breeders' actions.

What I'm having trouble understanding is why people moan and groan and berate the KC, stating that they're next to useless and are just out for money, yet a fair few of these very same people are showing their dogs at KC licensed shows and breeding litters registered with the KC! They're the ones helping to fill the KC coffers with more money. If the KC really is just money a grabbing, indiscriminate company then don't have anything to do with it. Vote with your feet! i.e. don't register your puppies and don't show at KC events. But that's not going to happen is it - because all the while these people are wringing their hands and saying all this about the KC they still want to enjoy themselves and that, it seems - in their minds at least, comes first

The KC are NOT the law when it comes to dog breeders. Our country already has laws to deal with these things. yes the KC could improve but I'm getting so sick of peoples' double standards. If you don't like the KC then either join as an associate and change it from the inside or don't have anything to do with it.

As has already been said - the main thing is to educate people when it comes to buying dogs. That is the only way things will improve.

Debs

It's all very well
joanne8888
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-11-2007, 10:47 AM
I think some of you have misunderstood me, I am backing a campaign to try to get the KC more involved when something goes wrong,

I paid top wack for my dog, the pedigree on the surface seemed bloody good............until I found out the progeny and how bad silblings were

Did my breeder want to know...no
Did the Kennel Club want to know...no

Is the breeder still breeding bad dogs....yes

If this campaign works it will close down alot of these puppy farms, a lot of councils at the minute are checking that breeders are licenced and are working with the KC, so the campaign is starting to get its voice heard.......again I can follow my dreams

Thank you so so much for the support you have given
Page 2 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »