View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wheaten mad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 11:49 AM
Well we have wheatens because we loved the terrier temprement, they dont moult, they dont slobber lol, they are not too big or too small, they love children and get on really well with other dogs, they are clever but they are also naughty and cheeky and totally mad! So they fit in really well with out house! lol

sarah xxxx
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 12:07 PM
I chose a Toller (Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever) because I dont have room to have the large breed I wanted, so started looking at medium sized breeds, Ive always noticed and liked Tollers when ive seen them at shows, so I did some research and went to a Toller class held by my breeder to get a beter idea of their personalities and fell in love with them!
I love how clever and alert they are and take everything in, also I wanted a dog I could do a range of activities with, obedience and agility, walking and possibly gundog work and Tollers are suitable and good at all these.
Best of all, especially Loki, I love their personalities how their eyes twinkle with mischief!
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 12:07 PM
we have a leonberger cause the giant breeds were my dream.

after a long research programme ( internet and breeder based) the leo came out on top for us.

Oh wants a labrador so 2 great fun dogs might be letting us share their house!!
Hayley
Dogsey Senior

11-07-2006, 12:28 PM
We have a boxer. I was brought up (from birth) until I was around 11 years old, with boxers as my parents bred and showed them.

I remembered from childhood what a wonderful breed they were - so loyal and so much fun!!

My OH and I got Glazby as our 1 year anniversary present to each other and 4 years later he is still the best dog we could have ever wished for

He's cuddly, wiggly, affectionate, has such an expressable face, energetic, loving, mischevious, fun loving and loyal boy that we could have ever wished for.

We would like to have a mastiff (have seriously thought about the girl in the rescue forum) however, Glazby has pulled a muscle in his leg and so a new addition to the family isn't a good idea until he's recovered.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 01:46 PM
The giant breeds are my favourite and I have always wanted one of my own.
After alot of research I decided on a Leonberger. They have everything I was looking for. Noble, loyal, gentle. A friend to the end, plus after seeing my breeders two they are also pretty bomb proof, especially the boys. And they look like big cuddly teddy bears too
bessey112
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-07-2006, 01:59 PM
Hi,
Ive got Rottweilers.
Ive loved the breed since i was young & always said when i had a house i would have one,although it took a bit of time for hubby to come round to the idea as he isnt keen on dogs

They are a gorgeous breed to own,proud, confident,loyal & loving.Fantastic with my children & although they are rather large they are so gentle especially when the kids are running around with them Nothing fazes my lot at all & i dont think i would ever have another breed now...well except a newfoundland or saint bernard

sarah
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

11-07-2006, 02:40 PM
When I was a little girl I saw a picture in a book on Dogs of a Borzoi and knew this was the breed for me. I waited a long time for this to happen. I got my first one 19/20 years ago as a rescue and my dream came true he was such a gentle giant and a great ambassador for the breed that I then bought a Bitch puppy and then my two young boys. I am still as much in love with the breed today as I was when a little girl. They are delightful to live with and can curl up in a corner they are quiet they need exercise but like the greyhound they can at times be couch potaotes. The breed standard says aloof and stand-offish .. don't think my boys have read this as they just want to be everyone's friend and to be petted and cuddled.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Oh dear how do I start, I have a right mix and match!

I got my first dog Charlie (Border Collie X English Springer) as he was living with a man who is pretty renowned round here for being not so nice to his dogs and he was wanting to "get rid" of Charlie. I had not long moved home and had to leave behind my beloved childhood dog Sadie (who still lives at home with my mum) and I was missing the canine companionship terribly.

So I popped along to visit Charlie and I just knew he was ment to be for me

I got Dusty because I had always wanted a dacchie, I love their firey little spirits and curiousity, and at the time I couldn't really afford a bigger dog, she was just perfect for me.

I got Maddy (My Weimaraner) as i'd planned to get a bigger dog when circumstances allowed, and I just adore gundogs. So I did a lot of research on some of my fave gundogs, and it took a long time to decide, but I eventually fell for the sheer beauty and dedication to their owner which weimaraners are renowned for (plus everything else gundog like, their staminer, playfulness, sheer madness everything about them really, you gundog ppl know what I mean! )

*phew*

Next on list is a GWP
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 03:15 PM
This is definitely a cool thread!

Well Murphy is a rescue dog so we didnt pick him for breed but my nan had always had labs or lab crosses so i had always loved them (very handsome dogs when not overweight!)

He also fit the bill exactly in terms of what we wanted - young but not puppy (he was 18 months old), good with other dogs, good with people, cheeky, gentle and good natured, good with children, generally happy loving fun dog! And he certainly has been that :smt049

We decided on Vienna, a northern inuit, because we felt as a breed they would be an ideal companion to Murphy and would fit well into our lifestyle. She is laidback like Murphy, likes people, loves other dogs, good with children, happy, not overly demanding on your attention (is happy enuogh just to be in the same room as you), love to play, gentle and good natured, cheeky, love water (although so far she hates it ), love food etc etc also i have always loved wolves, huskies and german shepherds. Sounds a litle strange but i never owned either a husky or a shepherd because of the husky attitude towards training (can be hard work and not always reliable off lead - thats what i have been told i have no actual experience) and because of the amount of health probs a lot of shepherds seem to suffer. So an NI was perfect - a little of everything i wanted.

We have been really pleased with both dogs and they way they have developed over time.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by Berger
The giant breeds are my favourite and I have always wanted one of my own.
After alot of research I decided on a Leonberger. They have everything I was looking for. Noble, loyal, gentle. A friend to the end, plus after seeing my breeders two they are also pretty bomb proof, especially the boys. And they look like big cuddly teddy bears too

i dont want to put a damper on your enthusiasum but dont expect the gentle bit for a very loooooooong time.H is 2 now and still a leaping loon at times and very very nosey, he's like a kid who wants to know what is going on at all times. nose in everything.
and loyalty comes with age too, mine nearly eloped with another dog not so long ago.
when he eventually grows up he might be all the things that breeders quote, but he's not quite there yet!!
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >