Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 12:21 AM

Dog Flaps

Hi all

looking for a bit of advice. We are building an extension and I was wanting to try and give Bruno access to the garden via a dog flap - the garden is completely secure and once the extension is completed is not accessible other than via the house, so felt a dog flap would be a safe option,

Does anyone have one and if so what are the pro 's and cons

also - is it possible to get one that only allows bruno in via sensor etc -as my only other worry would be any cats deciding to come in the house via the flap - as bruno would terrorise them if they did??

thanks in advance for your advice

dani
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 09:15 AM
I have one for mine....its the best thing ever...wouldn't be without it.
Absolutely nothing bad to say against them, i'd definately recommend anyone to get one!!!!!!
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 09:16 AM
we have one and there great ! it lets ella in and out whenever she pleases and no more accidents in the mornings , i would recommend them no cat has ever come through ours if that any help
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 09:18 AM
thanks - i was concerned about the cat as we are surrounded by cats on all sides and not long ago I was hanging the washing out and when I came back in their was a cat in my hallway - good thing the dog was still outside,......

what kind do you guys have and/.or where did you get them?
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 09:20 AM
I am surrounded by cats too. No cat has ever dared to entering the dog flap!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by Jules1
I am surrounded by cats too. No cat has ever dared to entering the dog flap!

mmnn the cats round here tease Bruno - they walk along the top of the fence when he is in the garden and it drives him mental !!

do you know what make you have ??
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2006, 09:25 AM
there tease him but bet they wont go to near him we got a medium size one from pet city was about 30 pound i think
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-02-2006, 09:25 AM
I too have a dog door, my second having had a new door. It is a 'Staywell', was easy to fit and is very good . This second one is better than the first and stays closed very well with the aid of little fibres like those on a draught excluder. It comes with a little pannel you can slide in when you go away.

Amy opens it a fraction with her nose and peeps out ..if it is raining she snorts and says in, if fine she goes in and out sniffing the flowers and keeping an eye on things in her garden .

No drawbacks for me, my garden is entirely enclosed with no outside access other than through the house.
I imagine there could be a problem with the large dog doors and people gaining entry/insurance issues.
shadow_the_staff
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2006, 09:54 AM
I have one and it is great, although shadow has broken 3 of them, we're on our fourth. She breaks the actual flap, she always tries to drag stuff through it like a sweeping brush, football, etc. But that’s our own fault. She broke the last flap by running through it really fast. But that’s because she weighs at least 20kgs and the dog flap we have is for dogs upto 18kgs. Got mine from B&Q it’s a staywell one and comes with a 3 year guarentee so I've had 3 free new dog flaps from B&Q! Couldn’t live without one. And we've never had a cat dare come in through the flap.
lckerry
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-02-2006, 10:11 AM
At our old house we used to have a dog flap, it was only a little one because Harry is only a little dog. Unfortunatley we did have alot of cats in our area and during the night they sometimes did come through the dog flap, as soon as Harry heard the flap go he would run downstairs and case them out, other times he wouldn't hear them come in (or he was too sleepy or lazy to chase them out) and they used to eat his food.
We have recently moved into a new house, we currently don't have a dog flap but are getting one fitted this summer. Harry loved his dog flap. It was great to know that he could go outside to do his business when I wasn't there. I think dog flaps are great to have.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >