Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tompkins1978
New Member!
Female 

21-09-2012, 03:52 PM

Two ESS fighting

hi, we've recently got a second ESS dog who is 9 months old. We already had a 5 YO bitch ESS who is very chilled and lovely. Our new ESS is mental, very hyper and booked in to be snipped next friday. I'm hoping things will calm down once he's been done because at the moment he is very hard work. he is constantly badgering our bitch for playtime etc. A couple of times they've had a really nasty fight - its been like watching wolves fight. Very scary. I was unsure what to do so in the end I intervenied but unfortunately today I got bitten quite badly on the leg. I dont think it was intentional, I just stood in the wrong place.

I was wondering if this kind of behaviour is normal and if they usually fight like this at the beginning? Its usually over a bone or a chew. Our bitch is not very good at sharing so if I give them both a bone, she'll take both and go for our boy if he trys to take it back. Thanks for any help
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Initally I wouldnt be giving them bones together till they really get a good bond
and even then it sounds like you will have to teach your girl that she is safe with her bone and he wont bug her for it
It will take time - but for just now clear out all the chews they might fight for and give them to them seperatly
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 07:20 PM
I don't think it's normal, but it may be.

What I used to do when we first got Harley, our second dog, is if I gave them bones, I'd put three out, so if one hoarded one, there'd still be a spare (I'd also put them in different areas, so they didn't need to go near the other dog with the bones). If the dog then hoarded the third, I'd step in and start the procedure again. Jess used to give her bone up if Harley tried to nick it, but she soon learn to tell him to back off, but even then, it's noise and doesn't ever escalate to a fight. My two aren't fighters though, so I don't know if that has owt to do with it.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 07:30 PM
Simple thing to do is not feed them bones together. Bones are a high value treat and if one of the two dogs is lacking in manners (eg, tries to steal the others bone) a fight is pretty much inevitable. So either separate them completely or supervise them at all times.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 07:30 PM
Castration will not solve resource guarding issues.

Have a look here.

http://www.clickertraining.com/node/3339
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Do you have a crate for the new boy? It would enable you to enforce some downtime to give your girl a break. He may need your help figuring out where his off switch is.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2012, 11:08 PM
I agree with all the others.

If you are going to give bones and chews... separate them..in different rooms if need be. Then take them up before they get together again.

And I agree with SB castration will not solve this, as you say its the bitch that isn't a sharing girl......she is being a typical bitch the only one of mine that gets things taken out of his mouth is the Male.....my bitches hang on to theirs