Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2012, 10:33 AM

Dog first aid courses

Anyone got any recomendations reviews for anything like this?

Its for the agility club I am a member of, if possible we would like to bring up a good trainer and run a course for all the club commitee members
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2012, 06:25 PM
I have the National Certificate in Canine First Aid, which has to be refreshed every two years.

Designed and delivered by vets I have not seen anything to touch it for content.

And of course it is awarded by a recognised body.

Full day of practical and theory with written test plus a Viva Voce. Full set of notes, DVD, pocket First Aid Kit, Certificate and badge.

Not sure if Vicky or her colleagues go to Scotland though, but worth an ask.

http://www.caninefirstaider.co.uk/in...d=47&Itemid=54
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2012, 06:27 PM
Thankyou, I will look into it - sounds interesting
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-05-2012, 07:49 PM
6 hours of training is not a great deal to be honest, for my work i have to do the 4 day first aid at work course and even 4 days is not enough, canine first aid is really no different to human first aid, it is called common sense, the resus is pretty straight forward just youtube it, there is a good video with a lady with the dog mannequin, for me every dog owner should carry a basic FAK and have basic skills.
Mind you 6 hours is better than none.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-05-2012, 07:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJGlsYHI9cU
this is the video
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2012, 07:56 PM
The FAW courses are now 3 days not 4 with 2 day refreshers.

And, as a H & S professional, I can tell you that IME common sense is not that common!

First Aid is just that, immediate actions to:

preserve life
prevent further injury
promote recovery

There are, to my knowledge, no Canine First Aid Courses which last longer than a day.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-05-2012, 08:10 PM
I find most people have common sense, just some people assume they have none sadly mainly H & S professionals (not a dig at you but an observation), Keith Lard type people.
Sad that it has been reduced to 3 days as i felt 4 was not enough, i did mine first time in the 80,s when a doctor had to pass you as competent, i presume it still valid for 3 years as it states on my recent course which strangely was 4 days, my business does not accept renewals we have to do the full course .
My friend has just done his canine first aid trainers certificate so maybe a market for a more detailed course lasting longer than a day could become open.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
I find most people have common sense, just some people assume they have none sadly mainly H & S professionals (not a dig at you but an observation), Keith Lard type people.
Sad that it has been reduced to 3 days as i felt 4 was not enough, i did mine first time in the 80,s when a doctor had to pass you as competent, i presume it still valid for 3 years as it states on my recent course which strangely was 4 days, my business does not accept renewals we have to do the full course .
My friend has just done his canine first aid trainers certificate so maybe a market for a more detailed course lasting longer than a day could become open.

Not an assumption on my part I am afraid, just many long years investigating accidents which could have been prevented by using "common sense".

This applies both to the workplace and the home, not to mention the road. 99% of all accidents are entirely avoidable and preventable, people have them because they do not think or take short cuts.

No idea who Keith Lard is.

I cannot understand why your business would not accept two day renewals, as that is what the legal requirement is?

One only has to do the 4 days if you have not had a refresher course within the three year certification period.

I cannot imagine why any business would WASTE money on paying for something that is not required?

A poor use of finance.

I think the market for a Canine First Aid Course which lasted more than a day would not be very large.

And of course, as in all things, it is quality, not quantity that is important.

I cannot think what ADDED value a course lasting more than one day would give?

I certainly found 4 days were more than ample for FA courses and of course so did the HSE, who now find 3 days sufficient.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-05-2012, 08:25 PM
i would imagine a 6 hour course including resus would really not be able to provide much detail on other aspects of first aid, i guess it depends on why you are there, the firm i work for takes a very serious view of the ability to respond to an incident and not just a legal one, 2 days they feel is just not enough even though we do weekly ongoing in house training including defib.
As you said 99% of all accidents are preventable where i work we want it 100% as our clients come under our FAW when in our care.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2012, 06:02 AM
I to am trying to get one of these organised for our guards some have it but a lot dont and i want to do it aswell. Willtry your link smokeybear thanks
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >