Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Why?
What possible purpose does it serve to stop an animal urinating or defacating when they want to? Or allowing them access to outside? Even free-range hens get that.
i meant if i wasnt in, i wouldnt want them in and out.

also you make it sound like i keep them caged and barely ever let them outside

they go out first in the morning when they get up, after their breakfast, afternoon time, before tea, after tea, about 8 o clock and then before bed, as well as walks in between

they dont suffer because of it! in the summer the door is open all day, and right now with the rain, i certainly know they wouldnt CHOOSE to go out!
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 12:20 PM
Why?
What possible purpose does it serve to stop an animal urinating or defacating when they want to? Or allowing them access to outside? Even free-range hens get that.
this post has really irked me if im honest. if you read my original post, it says the dogs ask to go out if they need to!
you make it sound like im cruel to my dogs because they dont have free access to a garden all day.

as for having a dog flap fitted, its not my house. i wouldnt choose one anyway even if i wanted one i couldnt have one.

nana wont even let me have a cat flap for the cats. she was burgled once when she was living on her own and she lost everything. she wont give people an extra way to get into her house.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 12:27 PM
I think they are a good idea, but we have original doors at this house, and i'm no so sure how much my landlord would love me if i asked to cut a hole in them!

Also, they aren't pretty, and i know that's not the point, and i'd worry about someone getting in. House shares in this area do get broken into a lot, as people know there will be 6 laptops, six phones etc The only time i did think ooo they would be a good idea was when i got stuck in traffic for a good few hours, felt like years, and sweep eneded up being left a lot longer than i wanted and god bless him was busting for a wee when i got back! But then you think would i have left a dog flap unlocked while i was out... probably not!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 12:38 PM
Why?
What possible purpose does it serve to stop an animal urinating or defecating when they want to?

Keeping a clean house (or do you allow your dogs to urinate or defecate when they want to regardless of location)?

Developing self control (I like my dogs to develop self control as it is not always convenient for them to go at any old time)

Being able to observe them to ensure that they are in good health

Surely it is a matter of individual choice?

Surely there are many ways of animal husbandry not just ONE way?

ALL free range animals get to defecate when and where they wish, that is because they are just that, free range.

My dogs are NOT free range, so they get to defecate WHERE and WHEN I permit it.

I have been into houses with free range hens and it was not a very hygienic sight.

Most people I know who have free range hens do not have them free ranging in the house.

I like to control my dogs access to ALL resources, including food, me, toys, other dogs, rooms in the house, areas outside.

I would not have a dog flap as I think they are ugly, they make a noise when it is very windy, they can create draughts.

If I want my dogs to go outside they go when I tell them or the door is open (ie when it is warm).

The dogs learn there is a time and place to eliminate just as there is to eat, drink, be noisy, be quiet, play, etc etc.

If people CHOOSE to have a dog flap that is their choice, if the CHOOSE not to have one that is their choice.

Neither is better or worse per se from an animal welfare point of view.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
What possible purpose does it serve to stop an animal urinating or defecating when they want to?

Keeping a clean house (or do you allow your dogs to urinate or defecate when they want to regardless of location)?

Developing self control (I like my dogs to develop self control as it is not always convenient for them to go at any old time)

ALL free range animals get to defecate when and where they wish, that is because they are just that, free range.

I have been into houses with free range hens and it was not a very hygienic sight.

Most people I know who have free range hens do not have them free ranging in the house.

I like to control my dogs access to ALL resources, including food, me, toys, other dogs, rooms in the house, areas outside.

I would not have a dog flap as I think they are ugly, they make a noise when it is very windy, they can create draughts.

If I want my dogs to go outside they go when I tell them or the door is open (ie when it is warm).

The dogs learn there is a time and place to eliminate just as there is to eat, drink, be noisy, be quiet, play, etc etc.

If people CHOOSE to have a dog flap that is their choice, if the CHOOSE not to have one that is their choice.

thanks you put it better than me, i just ranted because i got annoyed
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 01:09 PM
I would wonder whether having a dog flap would invalidate your house insurance?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
I would wonder whether having a dog flap would invalidate your house insurance?

It can do in some circumstances; as usual "it depends" as I highlighted before.

There will be a security clause in yoru policy which you should read carefully, so, as in cars, if you left the doors and windows open, unlocked etc, then you can kiss a claim good bye.

Usually the words violent/forcible entry are particularly stressed, so if you left your key under the garden gnome for example, you probably will not be succesful in a claim.

Likewise if you left an opening big enough for someone to enter you are thus in effect leaving your home "insecure".
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 01:32 PM

I agree with this!
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2012, 01:46 PM
I like my dog flap because it saves paying for a dog walker to come and let my dogs out when I am at work and I don't have to worry about my dogs feeling uncomfortable if they need the toilet. I think to be honest it would be a very brave or extremely stupid person to even stick their head threw the flap, I dread to think of the result.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Disciplining yourself to get up and take the dogs out at relevant intervals has a two fold purpose.

I can spot a potential problem immediately ie diarrhoea etc and it means they quickly learn to go on command (essential to me) wherever and whenever I need them to.
Mine was a godsend when I was ill.
I was too ill to get out of bed for months, so Teagan could let herself out to the toilet when she needed to!

Also, they days when we ended up in hospital for treatment for 12 hours, at l;east teagan could get out to the toilet!
Having no family or friends nearby - someone popping round wasn't an option!

Will be getting a cat flap for the Chi's though! Much more the right size lol
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2