Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CharleyMaddison
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2012, 08:14 PM

Dog Flap Glass Door

Does anyone use a dog flap? And does anyone use one in a glass door (apparently this is possible). I am considering the pro's and con's of having a dog flap installed at the moment, but the door that leads into the garden is a glass patio door so I would have to find one that can be installed into glass and would not weaken the glass or cause it crack. Can anyone recommend a dog flap that would be tough enough for a large exuberant dog jumping through it, that wont break easily. Also one of my dogs is large (GSD) is it safe to have such a big dog flap? Although that said I am more concerned about there being a fire when Ive popped out and the dogs not been able to get out, over a burglary as Ive nothing worth stealing anyway, and I'm sure my GSD wouldn't let anyone steal my other dog!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 08:23 PM
I have never used a dog flap and would never use one, I never want my dogs making their own decisions about when they go in and out.

I make those decisions.

When I am in the patio doors are quite often open, when I am out, whether the dogs are indoors alone or the house is empty I would never want to leave a way for a burglar to get in.

You may think you have nothing worth stealing, until you have to find the money to replace it, also the most valuable things are, IMHO, those that you cannot replace such as photographs etc.

TBH theft is the least of your worries if people get into the house, as they will often set fire to your house, vandalise it and leave piles of excrement around.

Often none of the above will be covered by your insurance (should you have any) if you leave your house unsecured which is what it is considered by many companies if you have a very large dog flap in use through which an intruder could gain access.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Parker, my current male Kerry, and my previous female Kerry Cherry used to belong to owners who had a dog flap in patio doors so they could go in and out of the garden at will.

This is something I was surprised about as they are not small dogs and I would not want something that could also be a burglar entrance! I also would worry about the security of my dogs with them being in the garden when I am not there, also would they be barking and annoying my neighbours when I am absent?

My work colleague has one for her 2 small dogs but they have escaped twice and nearly caused an accident the second time. She also got a bill for over £500 from the dog warden the second time it happened. She has one of those electric invisible fence and collar systems now to prevent this happening but it is still a worry for her as sometimes the batteries go low and then it doesn't work. She works full-time so I guess doesn't like to leave the dogs this long without garden access for toileting.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 09:14 PM
I have a dog flap, that was used for Teagan when she was alive - as you can imagine, it is big (she was a Bullmastiff).
Pretty much all flaps these days fit in all doors (glass, plastic, wood etc).

Of course, I could lock the flap when not needed.
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-02-2012, 06:17 AM
We had a dog flap fitted in the dog room door ....it lasted for about a week until Max ran through it a little too energetically, pinged the flap bit off and broke it and ended up wearing the frame - so then we had a BSD sized hole in the door until hubby could replace the whole panel -I would'nt bother again - now we simply let the dogs out at regular intervals or pin the door back when the weather is warm enough
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by bijou View Post
We had a dog flap fitted in the dog room door ....it lasted for about a week until Max ran through it a little too energetically, pinged the flap bit off and broke it and ended up wearing the frame - so then we had a BSD sized hole in the door until hubby could replace the whole panel -I would'nt bother again - now we simply let the dogs out at regular intervals or pin the door back when the weather is warm enough
That made me giggle, I was imagining a scene from Tom and Jerry with a Max shaped hole in the door!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 09:58 AM
I have 4 big dogs and the dog flap is brilliant! I occasionally have to repair the flap `hinge` because Daisy hurtles through at top speed.

for:
I don`t have to get up to let the dogs out.
No accidents
I can keep the house warm

against
Because they zoom in and out all the time, I`ve paved the garden to stop the mud.
The garden must be secure. Mine isn`t accessible to outsiders.

I thoroughly recommend them.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 10:08 AM
i wouldnt have a dog flap, people can get through them because they are quite big, wouldnt want to risk my house being broken into.

also i wouldnt want my dogs coming and going as they please, i let them out when i think they need to go out, if not they tend to ask to go out anyway.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Disciplining yourself to get up and take the dogs out at relevant intervals has a two fold purpose.

I can spot a potential problem immediately ie diarrhoea etc and it means they quickly learn to go on command (essential to me) wherever and whenever I need them to.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2012, 12:07 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
also i wouldnt want my dogs coming and going as they please, i let them out when i think they need to go out, .
Why?
What possible purpose does it serve to stop an animal urinating or defacating when they want to? Or allowing them access to outside? Even free-range hens get that.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >