Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rubythebeagle
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-03-2010, 09:43 PM

Dog flaps - pros and cons

Well Ruby has just managed to break the cat flap whilst squeezing through it
She is a 7 month beagle and just lately it has started to be a tight squeeze to get through, i always thought that eventually she would just get to big and give up trying, and would wait for me to open the door. She has got better and if im in the room she will let me open the door, but when im not in the room she will still squeeze through it, especially when coming in from the garden.
So i now cant decide what to do, do i replace the cat flap and keep hoping she will stop squeezing (im not sure how much bigger she is going to get) or do i go for a dog flap and allow her to get on with it herself.
So as the title says i would just like peoples opinions on dog flaps and how they work for you.
Ruby is caged when left so she wouldnt be using it when im not around. My main concerns are the constant in and out that she will be able to do as she is still young and playfull and also the dirt that comes with the freedom.
Sorry for the long post, i probably could have done it alot smaller if i was better at explaining myself
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2010, 09:48 PM
I've never been overly sure about dog flaps but then technically i'd have to remove half the door to allow Monty free access in and out the house!!

I guess it all really depends on whether you want her to be able to come and go as she pleases obviously whilst you are there. Also I imagine it would have to be fairly large to allow a fully grown beagle in and out.

In the summer we just leave the door open and put a fly screen over it so Monty can come in and out from the garden as he pleases. However in winter it's more difficult because he wants to be out there all the time but it's too cold to leave the door open so i guess in that case a dog flap would be useful.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2010, 09:53 PM
a couple of my friends have dog flaps and they seem to work really well. dylan and lily have got to grips with using one (took dylan 4 years and lily 4 months to work it out! ) and it is handy for them to be able to go out when they choose. one friend locks hers at night so the dogs know they still have to ask to go out after a certain time but the other leaves it available all the time.

i guess the fact that ruby would only use it when you were home is a bonus so you wouldn't have to worry about her being outside when you weren't there.
rubythebeagle
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Thanks for your reply
I think if i could stop Ruby attempting the cat flap id be happy, but this may be tricky until she physically cannot fit! In the mean time i dont want her to keep breaking them! She has a few times stopped half in and half out looking at me pitifully!
rubythebeagle
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
a couple of my friends have dog flaps and they seem to work really well. dylan and lily have got to grips with using one (took dylan 4 years and lily 4 months to work it out! ) and it is handy for them to be able to go out when they choose. one friend locks hers at night so the dogs know they still have to ask to go out after a certain time but the other leaves it available all the time.

i guess the fact that ruby would only use it when you were home is a bonus so you wouldn't have to worry about her being outside when you weren't there.
Can you lock dog flaps then? I do try and lock the cat flap now, normally when she has been going in and out constantly playing! Only problem is i have forgotten to open it again at bedtime and then the cat has been locked in and repayed me by peeing on the dogs bed in the lounge
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by rubythebeagle View Post
Can you lock dog flaps then? I do try and lock the cat flap now, normally when she has been going in and out constantly playing! Only problem is i have forgotten to open it again at bedtime and then the cat has been locked in and repayed me by peeing on the dogs bed in the lounge
i think the smaller ones can be locked like a cat flap but the bigger ones have a panel that slots in to lock it.

i like your cats style!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2010, 10:21 PM
My friend has a dog flap for her two Golden Retrievers to use when she's in. It seems to work well, but then the whole of her downstairs is laminate! Don't think it would work quite as well if you have carpet downstairs!
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Nothing constructive to add - but wanted to say that my 18 month old Estrela bitch can still get out the cat flap and she's about the size of a GSD male.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2010, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Nothing constructive to add - but wanted to say that my 18 month old Estrela bitch can still get out the cat flap and she's about the size of a GSD male.
blimey she must be a contortionist!!!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2010, 07:35 AM
I always had dog flaps for my lot, it was peace of mind that they could get in and out whilst I was at work, I lived out in the sticks and I had the giant size, (English Setters like to go through two at a time together with any toy they might be sharing ), but Clive, being the security conscious person he is, thought I was mad as they were big enough for a person to get through. My answer was that if someone was brave enough to climb through the flap, and come face to face with 14 huge, hairy, slobbery gundogs, then let them, I don't think they would have hung around for long

I would love to get another one here for Leon to use, he's hardly left on his own these days but it would be handy for when his tummy is bad and he needs to get out in a hurry...mind you, he won't toilet in this garden so probably defeats the object

Anyway, back to your question...I think they are brilliant and would definately recommend them so long as you are aware that burglers could use them to gain access to your home
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >