View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2009, 07:43 PM
very sad indeed ,im certain ,if i dropped in the park or where ever ,im certain mine wouldnt let stranger come near me . and they are both lovely dogs x very sad .all i can say is ,i hope they are all together now x
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2009, 07:46 PM
I guess the other way to think of it....and it could be possible......... god forbid..but if that had been dougie out with our dogs and the police had shot the dogs, how awful would it be, your partner is dead and your pets are gone also. there could be a wife and family somewhere who have lost there father/husband and there pets all in one go.
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2009, 07:59 PM
Poor poor rotties, i can understand them doing that both the police officers and the rotties. But it sounds such a sad story. They were only defending their owner
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2009, 08:07 PM
Im sure the dogs were protecting their owner, such a shame it ended like this. My aunt had a Dobe that did the same, my uncle fell and broke his hip, "Jason" wouldnt let the paramedics near him, they wanted to get the Police to shoot him, but as my uncle was conscious he managed to persuade them to get in touch with my cousin who came 20 miles from work to get Jason away from him, the dog was doing his job, Im sure though, that if he were not conscious, they would of shot him.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2009, 08:55 PM
how very sad all round
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2009, 10:49 PM
Thats so sad, they were only looking out for thier owner. A old dog of our did this when my sister had a accident, someone had to run down the road to get my dad to call him away so the ambulance men could get to her.....he thought they wanted to do her harm.

So very sad for all concerned.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-03-2009, 11:13 PM
sad,but true...in my ares 2 years ago , cops shot and killed a pitt,that was barking at a door ,they were investigating a disturbence ..it was the wrong address.......sence then they now have a k-9 responce team to deal with dogs ....for any reason...to often dogs are killed to rid a threat....
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2009, 04:02 PM
This happened in the next town on from us and I was very said to hear it. My BIL's girlfriend know someone who attended the scene (woman police officer).

I don't know if these are cast iron facts as it is second hand crack. But apparantly, the police and ambulance team had tried for over 2 hrs to get to the guy without using any violence towards the dogs but to no avail. They didn't want to use tranquilizers in case the dogs managed to attack someone before they 'went down'. The reason the dog was killed was it was getting more & more agitated as time went on and it's behaviour was increasingly aggressive. They felt they had no option but to shoot in order to try and save the guy.

After the first dog was shot, the other ran off and they found it in someones garden.

Again, they tried to coax it with treats etc, but it got very aggressive and threatening, this dog was tazered then PTS by a qualified vet.

It is a dreadfully sorrowful tale as the man died and it was of suspected heart attack (strange how similar it echoes the one in London? ). It is too early to tell at this stage whether they could have saved him if it wasn't for the dogs doing such a good job of protecting their beloved master

I am certain the dogs behaviour would be exacerbated by the mix of knowing something was wrong with their master and being extremely stressed at being surrounded by strangers seemingly wanting to 'get' him. Rotts are known for their deep devotion to their owners and of course for being very intelligent and excellent guards. It is a bitter irony that this ultimately sealed the poor mans fate it seems.

What annoyed me greatly was our local rags coverage of the event. Unlike the Daily Mail which TBH was very unbiased and even highlighted the fact Rotties are very devoted to their owners etc, the News & Stars first comments were that the "vicious Rottweilers" had to be shot. It doesn't take a genius to contemplate the dogs must have been freaking out with worry over their master lying there lifeless and all the commotion of the police/ambulance, sirens going, shouting, sensing panic in the air etc

My heart goes out to the poor man and of course his family, it is such a tragedy
Gizmoli626
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-03-2009, 05:56 PM
That story made me so angry! Surely they could've gotten a vet out to sedate them or something!!! They are very lucky the man hadn't survived otherwise i am sure he would've sued the life out of them!!! I know i would've!!!
Netpon
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-03-2009, 07:44 AM
*sigh* Have they not heard of dog catcher poles? Or sedative darts. Who knows what these dogs would have been like if they had been removed from the situation and given time to settle. I bet you any money if it had been 2 labs reacting this way they would have done things differently.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >