Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
thebaron
New Member!
Female 

18-02-2009, 09:46 AM

food allergy

went to the vet yesterday with mitzi, she is 7 months now, and is allergic to beef. she is scratching and is very red around her front paws and at her stomach. the vet said to give her pro plan chicken and rice. has not ate it, seems like she does not like it. anyone got any ideas. thanks jane
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Mmmmm, sorry to hear this- you don't have to stick to the brand that the vet suggested, as long you avoid beef you should be ok.

James wellbeloved does a range of good food that is one protien and one carb (e.g. lamb and rice). Have you tried sprinking some nice treats over the top (like liver cake) to make it smell nicer? What about trying giving it to her with some warm water to make it a bit gravey like?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 09:59 AM
When you say she hasn't eaten the food, how long has this been - is it just one meal that she has refused to eat it?

I think you have to decide whether you are going to be strict or soft...
if strict, take the food up after 15 minutes if she hasn't eaten it, then put it down again later. If she is offered nothing else, she will eventually eat it. If you are feeding it dry, it may help to add a little warm water as this will release the food smell.

If you are going to be soft, either add something nice to the existing food to entice her to eat or look for another food that doesn't contain beef. It does mean reading the ingredients carefully, but it shouldn't be a problem.

Personally I'd also stick to foods that don't have artificial additives/preservatives.
doofeysmum
New Member!
Female 

18-02-2009, 10:57 AM
hi, I'm new to this but just thought I'd share the solution I found for my dog alergy problems.
It is not for everyone but I have had a large amount of success with it. I feed my boys "raw". I've done a lot of research into this way of feeding and have seen reult for myself. My westie pebbles (R.I.P.) had numerous problems with his skin and particuarly his bowels, I tried all the prescription foods and medications but to no avail in despairation I tried feeding raw, within days there was a marked improvement within weeks bowel movements were perfect and guess what..... no itchy skin!
My latest addition Frank, a chihuahua x pug, came with very lose bowel movements which contained blood and mucous after several visits to vet a diagnoses of "stomach sensitivity" was given along with a 'script for expensive sensitivity food I tried him on raw one week later we have a very happy healthy puppy with formed bowel movements and no signs of blood etc...

Hope I've been of some assistance
Tori
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Hi, my Cairn Terrier is allergic to beef too and also i've been told chicken,pork,lamb and duck so i feed him James Wellbeloved dry food, the fish one and the Turkey one and he seem absolutely fine with it not itching at all he also occasinally get naturdiet pouches and they are really good too. Also if you give your dog treats watch out for the ingredients as well.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 08:35 PM
raw feeding
james wellbeloved
arden grange
burns
CJS
Autarky

to name but a few of the good foods
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 08:40 PM
My dog is allergic to Chicken, Turkey, White Fish (various types), Beef, Sheep, Lamb and dust mites.
He has been fed skinners Duck & Rice since Nov 2007, prior to his allergies he was raw fed.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-02-2009, 01:13 AM
there is a book called better foods for dogs ...i use it and it works for my pack ....wellness,puts out a few blends of kibble for dogs with allergies...look them up!oh iv got a dogo that is allergetic to all sorts of things ...
nellie_dean
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-02-2009, 09:24 AM
There's a useful page on food intolerance on this link

I was given to understand that some meats/cereals are more likely to cause problems in a sensitive dog than others, and that fish (or chicken) and rice are probably as good as anything. You may have to do a bit of an elimination diet to find out what's the real cause (see link above)