Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
She does
One televised example was an Irish Wolfhound who was very people sociable - just lively and bubbly basically - when they visited his home and he was a bit clumsy about it, [ not suprised, the room was very badly organised considering there were two very large dogs in the home which barely had room to turn without there being furniture and two huge crates in the way, so combine the dogs huge size with lack of maneuvering space and being pleased to see people, what does the owner expect but for him to `seem` more physically OTT that he really was ?! ].
The Wolfhound had a right foreleg elbow joint problem for which he`d had surgeries [ one not long before the filming but I cant remember exactly how soon before ] and had more due to be done very soon after which were scheduled. The huge lumpy joint was more than evident as was his limp.
Fennel forced him down, which was bad enough, but forced him on to the bad leg, pinned him there by the collar and refused to release him til he`d `submitted`.
The body language was most evident - he was in pain and gave up struggling because it hurt him to try to lift his weight off the leg so he rolled back a bit to ease it that way. Fennel of course exlaimed that he`d submitted to her but to anyone watching with half a brain cell and no dog experience at all, it was nothing to do with any deference to her.
If I`d been the vet who had been doing the surgeries on the lad and saw what she`d done, I`d have been giving her a lesson in physical dominance I can tell you

On the offchance, I just googled for info on the episode and this is the write up for it - maybe others will remember it ?

"Episode 2:
Janet Sherry from Brighton, whose nine-month-old Irish Wolfhound, Murphy is driving his owner to distraction. Murphy who suffers from osteo-arthritis and elbow dysplasia, is so hyperactive that it has been suggested to Janet that he should be put to sleep. Can Jan’s techniques help Janet save Murphy’s life and restore a sense of harmony to the household?"
I saw that too. I didn't think it was as bad as it sounds but didn't think it was a great idea. Again maybe ok for one dog but a dog with an agression problem to boot or one that would lash out if it did feel any pain because of it's problems and you would be in trouble! people must alsways be very careful and not take what they see in one case as the gospel.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
She does
"
Hi Patch, I have never seen her but I was given her books as a gift some years ago some of the ideas didn't seem to bad but I wasn't very impressed to begin with, I am less impressed now
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2007, 06:09 PM
i'm not a fan of either of them, but totally agree with Mys, we should take the good bits form lots of training philosphies, one 'way' won't work for all dogs, infact, every dog, generally needs lots of different methods.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-01-2007, 10:08 PM
Minhaha - As I have to mainly rely on books for guidance would you like to recommend any others that might be more modern, or have helped you more.

So far I think Myschievous has summed things up well. One can never assume that what works for one dog will work for all, I have one of JF's books but would really like to know what you recommend (Since some of your posts seem to reflect some experience in the dog trainning field)
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2007, 01:19 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Her training technique seems to be "one size fits all" which I just can't agree with.
I tend to agree with Moobli on this,

I won an obed comp that she had been judging and she thought royce was just super, I had only had him for six weeks and was using the round as a trial for his champ show comp 3 weeks later which he also won I prefer Mary Ray, shes the best I have seen,
guess marys more a trainer than a dog behaviourist! still love her method of training for behaviour problems I dont really have a fav
but it would not be jan think she's had her 5 min of fame and is on the shelf with babs woodhouse lol
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Minhaha - As I have to mainly rely on books for guidance would you like to recommend any others that might be more modern, or have helped you more.
So far I think Myschievous has summed things up well. One can never assume that what works for one dog will work for all, I have one of JF's books but would really like to know what you recommend
Hi Losos if you get on ok with JF and your dog is happy thats fine.
Here are a few ideas as requested ...

and another ..
I like Fisher/Dunbar/Rugaas but if I had to choose just one book for simplicity/helping to understand dogs/general training it would be Jean Donaldson's The Culture Clash a lady I admire who shares my thoughts on dogs.

Ps if you do a search on here for 'recommend books' you will see a number of threads on the subject. I have chosen one particular thread because it contains the opinion of 'Shadowboxer' sadly no longer with us but admired and respected by all who knew her...

(SB..http://www.dogsey.com/lesley-bruce.htm)
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

06-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Thanks for those links & recommendations.

I had planned to buy some books for myself & SWMBO as Christmas pressies but pressure of work & other things got in the way

So now I can order some with confidence, thanks again
Animal
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2007, 11:50 AM
I agree with what Mys said, pretty much summed up what I feel.

I only saw one episode of 'Dog Whisperer Down Under' with JF, and I wasn't impressed. There was a dog that wouldn't recall, as soon as it was off the lead whoosh eat my dust! JF said it was because the dog didn't know its place and thought it was the leader (then again she said this about all the dogs on the one programme I watched lol!) Anyway she recommended some excercises indoors to show it who was in charge, and that the dog wasn't to be walked for a while.

The thing that got me mad was this (the conversation went something like this):
Owner: 'but I thought that dogs had to be walked for excercise?
JF: (in a patronising tone) No, dogs don't get walked in the wild do they? Its just a humans way of making them excercise. Play with your dog, thats where they get their excercise from.

I was like WHAT! Dogs don't get walked in the wild, well dur! I was amazed by this pearl of wisdom.
Ryan W
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-02-2007, 02:37 PM
I watched that episode to Animal, and when she said that i nearly cried with laughter lol.

Here's some of CM in action. Someone asked for some clips back a few pages http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...+dog+Whisperer
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2007, 02:34 AM
Now I'm agreeing with you patch must be a lunar eclipse or something.
I could have put on three stone doing the guesture eating with crackers while my dog sat ther looking amazed. You could tell he was thinking stick them lets get to the main course.
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »