Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
greenmissjp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2013, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Sorry but don't like the sound of that, it sounds very much like "collar jerking " to me..( aversion training) interrupting a behaviour with a negative reaction.....I.E ... Rattle bottle, jerk on the lead, e.collar...and so on, the dog gets a nasty action to his behaviour , it's supposed to make the dog associate his behaviour with a bad reaction, in truth all it does is back up the dogs unwanted behaviour with the aversion ....I. E ... The dog barks at another, you jerk the collar, spray it in the face, rattle a bottle, and the message the dog really gets is, I told you " that thing" was bad, because its just re-forced my fear.. By the bl**dly shock I just got.

Why does she want to muzzle him. Is she bringing stooge dogs with her.. Surely she is not going to let your boy get close enough to attack them, that's all he needs is to be flooded with dogs to re enforce his behaviour .

I think you need to clarify her methods before you let her near your boy.
I gave her his history which is that he is unfortunately DA but also has snapped at people too, so she wanted to avoid getting bitten... the more i think about it the more I think I'm going to just have a go myself for now and see who else I can get to come and look at him. Paddy Driscoll saw him before but she's 50 miles away now...
egroeg
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-03-2013, 06:45 PM
Well said Jackbox.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2013, 08:09 PM
Well said Jackbox!

Personally I would phone and cancel and not let that 'trainer' near your dog with a barge pole! If they think hard checking ip might be needed then they are idiots.

Stick to an APBC or APDT trainer and only ever use methods that are kind fair and effective!
greenmissjp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Well said Jackbox!

Personally I would phone and cancel and not let that 'trainer' near your dog with a barge pole! If they think hard checking ip might be needed then they are idiots.

Stick to an APBC or APDT trainer and only ever use methods that are kind fair and effective!
thanks, I don't want to get her in trouble, I don't know her and that's only what I thought she had said. Going to cancel anyway and trust my gut but in case anyone reads this and knows who i speak about, I wasn't casting any aspersions as I really don't know her. I just didn't like what I THOUGHT I heard
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2013, 08:21 PM
I think that's the best thing to do. To be honest I wouldn't be happy with any trainer who is suggesting putting a muzzle on you dog before they've even met it. Asking that you have it secured on a lead or out of the room when they arrive...yes...but muzzling.....no.
greenmissjp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2013, 08:28 PM
I think that's the best thing to do. To be honest I wouldn't be happy with any trainer who is suggesting putting a muzzle on you dog before they've even met it. Asking that you have it secured on a lead or out of the room when they arrive...yes...but muzzling.....no.
it's because I said I muzzle him when out or around new people because he can be nervous aggressive too...
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by greenmissjp View Post
it's because I said I muzzle him when out or around new people because he can be nervous aggressive too...
I'd say its because they don't know I what their doing! The behaviourist I used to work for would say that muzzles often make the situation worse so he would rather the dog wasn't muzzled but securely on a lead and out of the room when he arrived at your home. Then he would do a full behaioural assessment, asking you questions first and then meeting the dog. If they know what they are doing they would not put the dog in a position that it could not cope with so would not endanger themselves either,
greenmissjp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2013, 09:00 PM
I'd say its because they don't know I what their doing! The behaviourist I used to work for would say that muzzles often make the situation worse so he would rather the dog wasn't muzzled but securely on a lead and out of the room when he arrived at your home. Then he would do a full behaioural assessment, asking you questions first and then meeting the dog. If they know what they are doing they would not put the dog in a position that it could not cope with so would not endanger themselves either,
ok, well that's very enlightening thanks for the heads up. Looking around now for alternatives. Even researching doing a course myself to really help me get into it and help Cap the best way!!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2013, 09:07 PM
It's a mine field though isn't it. So hard to choose the right person if you don't know much about what your looking for. I found our training classes by accident and then became and assistant and then an APDT registered trainer but let my membership lax when I went to uni and couldn't find any courses local to where i was to keep up my professional development. Shame really.
greenmissjp
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2013, 09:09 PM
It's a mine field though isn't it. So hard to choose the right person if you don't know much about what your looking for. I found our training classes by accident and then became and assistant and then an APDT registered trainer but let my membership lax when I went to uni and couldn't find any courses local to where i was to keep up my professional development. Shame really.
everything happens for a reason, you may come back to it in the future I'm quite anal though when it comes to having to know as much as I can so I figure I can spend the money on someone else helping my dog or I could spend the money and train myself.... bit of an epiphany
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »