Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Are you sure that's what she said?
If so, then I am a bit
And it begs the question, what exactly are you going there to learn?

I can't believe a trainer really said that 'sits' and 'downs' etc aren't necessary! That's akin to not teaching your children how to cross a road safely.

Well TBF why are they necessary?

A dog already KNOWS how to lie down and sit down, most people can train this to be on cue without the need for A N Other for when they need it (if they need it at all).

So as a matter of interest when do you think a SIT and a DOWN are necessary?
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
As an emergency stop, for starters. An instant DOWN saved the life of one of my family dogs years ago.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-09-2012, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by Baxter8 View Post
- i don't think I'd be happy denying my dog a walk -
Aren't our walks a (poor) replacement for the hunt?

My dogs certainly wouldn't be happy without everyday walks and I don't think I could get rid of their energy just in the house and garden.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2012, 08:49 PM
As an emergency stop, for starters. An instant DOWN saved the life of one of my family dogs years ago.
A dog can stop in any position, stand sit or down. An emergency stop does not require the dog to be trained to sit or down.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post

My dogs certainly wouldn't be happy without everyday walks and I don't think I could get rid of their energy just in the house and garden.
Nonsense.

Get a very large treadmill and you could exercise the dog and generate your own electricity at the same time!

I see there is a cinema utilising pedal power from some of its patrons, so you can keep fit whilst watching the big screen, if we used our dogs efficiently we could get them to heat water and power our appliances!
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-09-2012, 08:55 PM
Her words were to the effect that she had never taught her dog to sit and she added her dog does sit. There's a difference - i.e he sits, she doesn't have to make him.

I'm neither in favour nor against her style of training - so I have no wish to defend her or anyone else's position. I went for a one-off talk in a local hall close to where I live. As far as I can gather she is strongly in favour of being alpha to her dog - and if you can successfully become alpha to your dog then they will be quite naturally obedient but not in the obedience class style i.e they'll walk happily by your side, and let you lead "the hunt". Sitting and going down therefore are largely irrelevant.

She certainly wasn't suggesting that well trained dogs are robots - not at all, she was just saying get the basics right i.e leadership and obedience and agility is the icing on the cake. I seem to recall that she also thought forcing dogs into a social situation (but inherently stressful) was unnatural for them.

I was impressed with just how much control she had over her dog - she didn't raise her voice and he did seem very bonded to her.

As I've said in previous posts I'm happy to try anything that makes my dog a happy dog.

I hope the above clarifies what I said

Are you sure that's what she said?
If so, then I am a bit
And it begs the question, what exactly are you going there to learn?

I can't believe a trainer really said that 'sits' and 'downs' etc aren't necessary! That's akin to not teaching your children how to cross a road safely.

Now I do have an obedient and well-trained dog (95% of the time anyway! ) and he is certainly not a robot - just civil, and well-mannered, as you would hope a nice dog would be. If he does act up or put a paw wrong, he is easy to get under control again. And, added to that, he loves to learn new things, tricks and commands - it really floats his boat, and mental stimulation for many dogs is more important than physical exercise. He is most certainly not a Stepford Dog!

If this person is implying that well-trained dogs are all robots, then please, please find a different class.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-09-2012, 08:58 PM
Yes I agree - I hadn't realised that before I met her, but yes the walks are replacements for the hunt. My dog would be desolate without his walk which is why I wouldn't deny him.

Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post

muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Nonsense.
I've got a treadmill.
And it lives a sad and lonely life as nobody loves it. I bought it specifically for the dogs to use (although it's a human one) and the dogs can use but, boy, ain't it boring. I bought it to avoid walks in the cold, wet and dark...

I go out in the cold, wet and dark rather than use the treadmill.... but may be I will connect to a generator and try....
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-09-2012, 09:00 PM
I used to say that my last dog's wagging tail could generate enough electricity to keep the lights going in the house. My current dog doesn't wag his tail quite so much.

Nonsense.

Get a very large treadmill and you could exercise the dog and generate your own electricity at the same time!

I see there is a cinema utilising pedal power from some of its patrons, so you can keep fit whilst watching the big screen, if we used our dogs efficiently we could get them to heat water and power our appliances!
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-09-2012, 09:05 PM
I spend an extraordinary amount of time in training classes getting my dog to sit and stay and go down and stay - and it does beg the question WHY? Surely having a dog that sticks very close and has good and willing recall is sufficient? Just my twopenneth.

Well TBF why are they necessary?

A dog already KNOWS how to lie down and sit down, most people can train this to be on cue without the need for A N Other for when they need it (if they need it at all).

Page 5 of 9 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »