Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

29-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Originally Posted by FairyToes
Maybe I am on the wrong site.
We're a site full of genuine Dog Lovers who respect and care for their animals using positive training methods wherever possible - not a site that supports out-dated cruel methods of training that only work by inflicting pain or suffering.

So sure, decide what type of site you'd like to be on - says a lot more about you, than us.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by FairyToes View Post
"As a general rule, most experts agree that dogs should be discouraged from bed-sharing."
So, you see, this is not just my supposedly arrogant opinion. Every book I have read on dog training adheres to this same advice. Not only are there dominance issues involved, but hygienic issues as well.
Every dog I've ever known (owned by other people) that is allowed on furniture has behavioral problems, does not regard their owner as alpha, does not mind or show what I consider proper manners.
Maybe I am on the wrong site.
"As a general rule, most experts agree that an expert opinion does not become so just because one has added quotations marks in liue of referancing ones source"

You arent on the wrong site, you are just in the wrong decade.
Many of us could recommend many books and studies on the training, behaviour, and psychology of dogs AND wolves which show the alpha/dominance theory isnt real.

But it depends upon what one regards as "high standards" of course. Purely a subjective value statement of course....as you said it yourself; "what you consider as good manners"

I have actually known thousands of dogs, as i have been a rescue employee and/or trainer for 15 years or say, and i know hundreds of dogs that DO relax on the sofa and DONT have "behaviour problems".
Right now as type this i am sharing two sofas with 2 huskies, one staffie x bullie puppy, a rottie x ridgeback, a collie x shepherd and a cairn x yorkie.
Also, all right now, acting like well adjusted friendly and social beings.

As regards arrogance, dont let yours be confused with the books you read.
They werent responsible for how you chose to write to other people on a chat forum.
Maybe you are in need of some alpha (bet) rolling?

Dunno about hygience, but i never had a shower before getting in between the sheets last night.

Why do i get this feeling that jesus is going to be mentioned anytime soon
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2012, 07:39 PM
How can an Alpha be a woman? I mean, Cesar (who walks on water obviously - so there you go, KW) tells us that women are too soft to be proper alphas.
This site: http://beyondcesarmillan.weebly.com/
has anti dominance theory statements from (among others)
IAABC
AHA
ACVB
APBC
AVSAB
PENN U
and a shedload of individual qualified and practicing dog training professionals who would tell you you are wrong.
So forgive us if we are not in awe....
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Perhaps you need to update your library

Behaviour issues are not related to sofas, as you are finding out with your dog

If you don't want them on the sofa then that's cool, but if you tried a little experiment you may get a surprise
Invite your dog on the sofa
Bet she can still do her meatball trick afterwards. And she won't steal the car keys
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Perhaps you need to update your library

Behaviour issues are not related to sofas, as you are finding out with your dog

If you don't want them on the sofa then that's cool, but if you tried a little experiment you may get a surprise
Invite your dog on the sofa
Bet she can still do her meatball trick afterwards. And she won't steal the car keys
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2012, 07:49 PM
On the flip side, my dog isn't allowed on the sofa or bed and he's a total git he has fear aggression and frankly can be a bit of a nightmare

....maybe I need to start letting him on the furniture!

Just to add the only reason he's not allowed on the furniture is that he's very big and sheds like mad, nothing to do with being the boss
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Thank Fairtytoes for this post, it was a welcome relief after a busy day.

It gave me a real laugh.

I am not as old as you and I am not sure how many dogs you actually know, first hand, but in my (limited) experience I have known plenty of owners who like to sleep with their dogs (not in the biblical sense) whose standards of canine behaviour are extremely high.

Many of these are not only fantastic owners, but superb handlers, trainers and respected behaviourists (on an international scale).

I myself do not share either my bed or my sofa with my dogs not because I think they may become obnoxious but because I am extremely selfish.

But confusing correlation with causation is, I have found over the years in many fields, a common error.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Ooooh SB.......I've been waiting for you to come on this thread!!! LOL!!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2012, 08:35 PM
I've gotta admit, it's really nice having the bed to myself instead of having a square inch of space and the corner of the duvet Spen does get on the bed or sofa but much prefers the floor for sleeping purposes.

I can honestly say that none of my dogs have had any issues that could possibly have stemmed from being allowed on the furniture. Rupert was fearful but that was down to lack of exposure to things as a pup. Shadow guarded food, can't say I blame him to be honest since he regularly had it taken away to "show him who's boss". I'd bite if people kept taking my dinner away too! Wolf wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer but perfectly well behaved. Spen is a bit of a hooligan but I've only had him a few weeks.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-02-2012, 11:09 PM
None of mine get on the furniture or the bed, they can "leave it" with food in a down stay for about 5 mins and none of them are fear aggressive. I win you lot!!!! Wahahaha!!
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »