View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2011, 11:39 PM
trouble is there is always an idiot around the corner to buy whatever they read...i wish people where more educated
beau
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-01-2011, 07:40 AM
I saw this advert yesterday and thought that the price was a bit steep, I feel sorry for the dogs/pups and the poor people who who will buy them.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by boredinstroud View Post
I don't know anything about CCs but £1K is surely a hell of a lot to pay for a dog and the poor spelling/grammar would put me off personally even before knowing the background as you have stated.
Exactly what I was going to say! If I was going to spend that much money I would at least expect the advert to be professional, eg, spelled right!
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 11:24 AM
The amount of stud enquires we used to get was unbelievable
One guy even thought vaccinations was the required health tests for our breed The bitch was well bred though but he had only owned her for a month,she came into season and he wanted to breed from her to get his money back I told him to get the tests done gave him all the info and get back to us,never heard from him again.

Don't get many enquires now, and if we do I always point out our terms and conditions,and make them aware of the possible complications that come with whelping.

At the end of the day if they are determined to breed they will do it anyway,regardless of any advice given.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Just shocking.

The pups will sell asap, they will keep on breeding dodgy pups.

BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE STUPID ENOUGH TO BUY THEM!

Sorry, it's people in everyday life, some people who use this forum probably who have bought puppies for a 'couple of hundred' quid from some dodgy family breeder, or the even sillier ones who pay the £1000+ price tag, off fb ads, preloved, pets4homes are as much to blame. When will people start to see this! Ads should be banned! And only registered breeders ads and websites should exist.

My dogs are both from Backstreet breeders, except one was found on the street with a battered back end, the other born in a damp, cold pound when the mother was kicked out the home.

It really winds me up, but not as much as it must wind you, the proper breeders up. I really wish only the select were allowed to breed, the ones who really put their all into it, a living, and therefore charging a high price for their quality pups with all the lifetime benefits for dog and owner. It would solve so many problems.

Edited, just this afternoon I am transporting a troubled 6 month old Akita pup which has has 3 homes (2 foster) to his new life long home - WHERE WAS THE BREEDERS RESPONSIBILITY, WHERE WAS THE BACK UP LIFE TIME CARE?!!!

God, what can we do??? We can't even save them all, who wants a troubled (through NO fault of his own, having spent the 4 four months of his life in a garage with no interaction) pup when they can get a brand new one for £400 down 'the street'
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 11:39 AM
It seems to all go back to education. I had a boyfriend many years ago who was after a golden retreiver, he went to a puppy farm and got a black one lol..... it was a badly bred flatcoated retreiver at the time i was about 18 and had no idea and because she had promised him the "papers" would follow, i genuinely thought it was fine lol. Obviously no papers arrived and as we had never owned a dog in our family i didn't have a clue.

I'm now nearly 40 but it took that experience and a lot of fighting with this breeder and talking to flatcoat breeders to know how bad this was. We didn't have a clue lol.

I sat in the staff room the other day and a women who is 60 plus was looking in the paper, she spotted a puppy ad and said "aww look they are lovely and not badly priced" when i took notice i said i wouldn't touch one, and she said "why they are really good they have a pedigree and everything".

People still seem to have no idea, so i spent ten mins explaining that anyone can write a pedigree, its kc papers you need and health tests. The ad had no mention of either. Really annoyed me and i had to really try and keep calm and explain things as a few of them just didn't have a clue. Life teaches you things, but unfortunately some people just don't know.

All you can do is keep trying to educate people
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 12:24 PM
What makes an okay breeder though? When is it okay to breed? Is it okay to breed purely for the pet market ever?

I have my own opinions on this but wonder what others think?
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
What makes an okay breeder though? When is it okay to breed? Is it okay to breed purely for the pet market ever?

I have my own opinions on this but wonder what others think?
Ok breeders to me are full-time breeders who own the best of the breed in the country, and produce TOP quality, proven healthy puppies and who offer EVERY single back up possible for the little pup, offer advice and support for the rest of it's life! And charge a small fortune (rightly so) for their offspring, and usually have waiting lists upon waiting lists for the offspring. KC accreditted.

You don't see these dogs ending up in rescue very often, and most, if they did, would be pts.

Your 'auntie Joan' who owns a bitch and a male spaniel down the street in their 2 bed terrace with their little back yards and no money behind them, no health tests, life time assistance, and place free ads to get rid of the pups when they hit 8 weeks old are NOT okay breeders!

Rescues are filled with these dogs, and most are pts.

IMO it is NOT ok for the 'general public' to breed dogs.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by beau View Post
I saw this advert yesterday and thought that the price was a bit steep, I feel sorry for the dogs/pups and the poor people who who will buy them.
I don't! (the pups though, yes) They shouldn't be stupid enough in the first place to buy them, it's full of holes!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Very frustrating. Am shocked by the lack of endorsements; hopefully some people looking for pups will be aware enough to appreciate that decent breeders DO put endorsements on!!
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >