Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-12-2010, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
of course the collars hurt to work..how else would they....otherwise the same people would use a noise or clicker
With the greatest of respect. Unless you have tried an ecollar then how can you know how it feels?

Again I will try to give a balanced view, all of my dogs will raise their feet for me to inspect if they feel me run my hand down their leg (my horses did too). That is dog training by "sensation" or "touch" . It didn't hurt them in any way, but they learnt the sequence of events and respond to the sensation accordignly and obligingly.

It doesn't have to HURT to get a response.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Lotsadogs View Post
With the greatest of respect. Unless you have tried an ecollar then how can you know how it feels?

Again I will try to give a balanced view, all of my dogs will raise their feet for me to inspect if they feel me run my hand down their leg (my horses did too). That is dog training by "sensation" or "touch" . It didn't hurt them in any way, but they learnt the sequence of events and respond to the sensation accordignly and obligingly.

It doesn't have to HURT to get a response.
actually yes i have felt an e-collar

then a vibrating collar would be what you needed not a shock collar...that doesnt take a trainer or behaviourist to work that one out.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2010, 11:57 AM
How very very sad. All these people admitting to using pain to train. You can train a dog with a club or a whip, course you can. But all that proves is something about yourself.
I have never needed to hurt my dogs to train them. I have also never needed to lie to myself that (a) it doesn`t hurt or (b) it`s for their own good.
Cruelty is still cruelty if you get paid to inflict it, you know.
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
I don't often reply on these topics, because, as said, it raises temperatures quite a lot!

A really well thought out original post though, although I haven't had time to read it fully, but it's prompted me to post a couple of thoughts.

Electric collars shouldn't be used by the general public, only under the guidance or by a qualified expert, and therein lies the problem, the vast majority of dog trainers just aren't qualified. You can buy qualifications off the internet, and who would police them?

Why do I think this? Because I've seen several dogs with severe behavioural problems benefit with long term training and shock collars formed part of that, as did pinch collars. The ONLY alternatives for these dogs were either to be put to sleep, or to be taken on by an experienced trainer who could handle their problems 24/7 without the need to use a shock collar as an aid. There are problems with both those, the first is a bit obvious, the second, well, how many problem dogs are there, particularly from rescue where it's uncertain how their problems have escalated, and then see how many you think will find homes with experienced dog handlers, it just ain't gonna happen.

I know that won't be popular, and yes, there are other ways of training dogs, etc, etc, but these dog owners were not lazy, they attended regular training, but simply did not have the timing and handling skills away from a training environment to deal with these dogs. One of them was so unpredictable you could really have argued it should never have been rehomed, particularly to such a weak dog handler, but then that's an issue for the rescue organisations.

The other reason I'm not hugely concerned about shock collars being used in the right circumstances, is we buy all sorts of training devices that are acceptable, and yet they too cause pain. Many of the head collars clamp around the muzzle, causing pain and discomfort, and a poorly fitted/made harness can rub and cause pain; dogs can't tell us this is the case, sometimes their behaviour alters because of a halti/harness, trying to get them off, and yet they are still deemed acceptable?? Citronella collars are no better than shock collars, dogs have such a strong sense of smell I think it's a horrible device, and yet in many peoples' minds it seems somehow more acceptable??

I'm firmly on the fence with this one, I have seen the benefits of them being used correctly, but they are open to such misuse is it worth it??

Excellent and well balanced post as was the first.

I think that with ecollars or indeed any aversive tool, or indeed any reference to "Dominance" and other emotive tpics, there are such emotively driven views kicking about, that the actual facts are sadly, often evaded. Many of the people with such strongly held opinions, in my experience, dont actually have the relevant experience to have established their own view and simply copy some one else's in some kind of bizarre effort to "be involved". Often it seems to me, that debates rage more around making the "individuals" involved wrong, than the actual question fo debate itself.

I include myself in this. Some of you will know that I have debated long and hard in the past about the misuse and lack of need for ecollars. That was because at the time, my experiences of them, where limited to failure in use and some pretty traumatised dogs. However, that view has now changed, as all "Current" thinking does at times, in light of my more recent experiences.

I believe also that part of my "anti-ness" was sadly, directed more at the personalities involved who themselves I found often abusive, incoherant, rude, objectionable, defensive, and in Adams case, he upset me personally.

But that i believe, in itself, doesn't make any tool tool or technique wrong.
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-12-2010, 12:04 PM
actually yes i have felt an e-collar

then a vibrating collar would be what you needed not a shock collar...that doesnt take a trainer or behaviourist to work that one out.
Forgive me Tupacs2legs. Again with respect, I dont understand your second paragrgaph. I would need a vibrating collar for what?

No offence intended in any of my posts. I didn't understand that you have previously tried an ecollar?

Dx
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
How very very sad. All these people admitting to using pain to train. You can train a dog with a club or a whip, course you can. But all that proves is something about yourself.
I have never needed to hurt my dogs to train them. I have also never needed to lie to myself that (a) it doesn`t hurt or (b) it`s for their own good.
Cruelty is still cruelty if you get paid to inflict it, you know.
Claire and Daisy. Apologies but I don't always understand which posts are directed where..... I am not sure if you are directing your post at me? Please let me know and if so I will respond accordingly. Cheers.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2010, 12:08 PM
.... people who have to revert to pinch collars or e collars should really be fair to the dogs and themselves imo.... big failure on both parts.... is it really better to be alive or with that person?

thats all im saying on this thread as i do think its a 'set-up' and also i do not believe in these circumstances of 'life at all costs'
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by Lotsadogs View Post
Forgive me Tupacs2legs. Again with respect, I dont understand your second paragrgaph. I would need a vibrating collar for what?

No offence intended in any of my posts. I didn't understand that you have previously tried an ecollar?

Dx
no i havnt tried one!!!! i have felt one!

to train by sensation
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2010, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post

Electric collars shouldn't be used by the general public, only under the guidance or by a qualified expert, and therein lies the problem, the vast majority of dog trainers just aren't qualified. You can buy qualifications off the internet, and who would police them?

Why do I think this? Because I've seen several dogs with severe behavioural problems benefit with long term training and shock collars formed part of that, as did pinch collars. The ONLY alternatives for these dogs were either to be put to sleep, or to be taken on by an experienced trainer who could handle their problems 24/7 without the need to use a shock collar as an aid. There are problems with both those, the first is a bit obvious, the second, well, how many problem dogs are there, particularly from rescue where it's uncertain how their problems have escalated, and then see how many you think will find homes with experienced dog handlers, it just ain't gonna happen.

I know that won't be popular, and yes, there are other ways of training dogs, etc, etc, but these dog owners were not lazy, they attended regular training, but simply did not have the timing and handling skills away from a training environment to deal with these dogs. One of them was so unpredictable you could really have argued it should never have been rehomed, particularly to such a weak dog handler, but then that's an issue for the rescue organisations.

The other reason I'm not hugely concerned about shock collars being used in the right circumstances, is we buy all sorts of training devices that are acceptable, and yet they too cause pain. Many of the head collars clamp around the muzzle, causing pain and discomfort, and a poorly fitted/made harness can rub and cause pain; dogs can't tell us this is the case, sometimes their behaviour alters because of a halti/harness, trying to get them off, and yet they are still deemed acceptable?? Citronella collars are no better than shock collars, dogs have such a strong sense of smell I think it's a horrible device, and yet in many peoples' minds it seems somehow more acceptable??
I'm firmly on the fence with this one, I have seen the benefits of them being used correctly, but they are open to such misuse is it worth it??
1-These owners should not have the dog concerned if they are unable to learn to use positive reinforcement style training

2-I don't use harnesses & the only headcolaar I use is the figure of 8 which cannot"clamp"shut the jaws. Fig 8 of headcollars work the same way a T Touch calming band does

3-there are airjet collars that simply use a blast of air under the chin-these do not affect the dog's nasal areas

The only time an e collar should be used IMHO is for the stopping of dogs chasing livestock & then only in the hands of a professional who has already tried everything else & only to save the dog's life. There are other alternatives like the dog being rehoming away from livestock that should be seriously considered obviously so the use would be minimal anyway

Yes I have felt an e collar & it's b painful(& I also use a tens machine on quite a high setting & the two cannot be compared believe me
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-12-2010, 12:14 PM
no i havnt tried one!!!! i have felt one!

to train by sensation
Apologies Tupacs2legs

I still don't understand your point? Maybe I am being dim?

As I said, I train by sensation to pick my dogs foot up. The point I was making was that someone said, "if ecollars didn't hurt, it wouldnt work."And I was merely making a point that you don't have to HURT something to invoke a response. I might stroke my lovers leg and invoke a response, but it would not have hurt him.

So a sensation collar (or indeed any other direct interaction) doesn't have to induce pain to induce a response. Does that clear it up any?
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »