View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-12-2010, 06:58 AM
Once again thank you all for the support.

Thanks VA for the offer of a cuppa. They are brilliant aren't they dreading the bill but brilliant. Thank goodness for insurance it will take up almost what he is insured for this year I expect.

Update at 11pm last night was spinal fluids a couple of little things showing up nothing worrying at this time but may give him problems in the future.

Fluid from left knee joint slight inflammation not a full blown cruciate more like arthritic change again could be possible cruciate problem in years down the line.

Urine concentrated not sure if that was the sample we took in or if they are still monitoring his output.

Still waiting for radiographer to look at his x-rays she is chasing them this morning.

She says no reason she can pin point for the legs collapsing it could well be a lot of little things that seem to be going on and if he was unwell for whatever reason it all escalated.

I notified his breeder and she got back to me and said sometimes a really bad infection can do that to them so she was hoping that was all it was. So far seems that is the case.

So there are lots of little things that will cause problems in the future for him, but being the breed he is that did not surprise us. We will cross that bridge when we come to it we do not expect and never have expected long golden years with him but we were and are hoping for a few more than this and it looks like our wish has been granted for us and all those Dogsey vibes I am sure helped an awful lot.

If his back legs are stable this morning when she assesses him he will be COMING HOME with anti inflammatories and restricted exercise. Not sure if he meant his exercise always has to be restricted now as she was saying will chat about keeping weight off as she knows I work very hard at keeping the pounds off him but with a dog on less exercise it is even harder.

We did everything when he was a puppy too keep his joints strong. Followed breeders diet religiously. Kept him off the stairs till turned 18 months. Regulated his walks 5 mins per month of age. Ramp for in and out of the car. And now we have problems but I suppose we would be feeling a lot worse about it all if we hadn't take so much care.

He ate all his dinner last night she told me which was good as he didn't eat anything Thursday except for a couple of bits of ham with his pills in.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2010, 07:39 AM
Oh Lynn, I've just read through all of this and hope Ollie is home with you all soon. xxxxx
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2010, 07:58 AM
I am so pleased he seems to be improving and glad to hear he should be home with you today. My goodness that boy is going to be so pleased to see you .
I still wonder about him having a bad urine infection, stones or something else in that area as when Shady used to suffer with bladder stones and constant infections she got very wobbly on her back legs and would sometimes fall, she also couldn't get comfy laying down and would pant and sit more than lay down and generally be very uncomfortable. It was the pain making her back legs wobbly.
Obviously I am not the vet though so may be way off with Ollie and the vets he has sound excellent.
When you see him give him a special gentle hug from me
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-12-2010, 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I am so pleased he seems to be improving and glad to hear he should be home with you today. My goodness that boy is going to be so pleased to see you .
I still wonder about him having a bad urine infection, stones or something else in that area as when Shady used to suffer with bladder stones and constant infections she got very wobbly on her back legs and would sometimes fall, she also couldn't get comfy laying down and would pant and sit more than lay down and generally be very uncomfortable. It was the pain making her back legs wobbly.
Obviously I am not the vet though so may be way off with Ollie and the vets he has sound excellent.
When you see him give him a special gentle hug from me
I will Bev.

We are now thinking maybe it was pain if it was as first thought a bad urine infection I don't think it could of been stones as he had urine taken directly from the bladder yesterday and had an ultrasound of all his stomach area. She said nothing about stones and all his organs are healthy so thats good.

Michael said maybe it was the injection in the early hours which was morphine based and then the one from the vet a few hours later which overdosed him and made him collapse we may never know and hopefully it will never happen again.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2010, 08:11 AM
Your probably right Lynn a bad urine infection would cause those symptoms of extreme pain if he couldn't pee at all.
Whatever it was, lets hope its gone now and he is soon home and back to normal.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2010, 08:41 AM
Lynn, I am SO sorry to read of your worries with Ollie! It sounds like you have been in very good hands. I hope he is home soon and feeling better.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2010, 09:16 AM
Oh I hope he can come home today.
Hugs to all of you.
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Fingers crossed he can come home today!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

04-12-2010, 10:27 AM
Just had a call from the vet. He wil not get up for them he is eating, bright but of course they cannot assess his legs as he keeps rolling on his back. this sounds to me like my naughty boy is better.

The plan is we are going over and hopefully he will get up and then she can assess him she says he will be wobbly from the anesthetic but they might let him home and we monitor him and of course if it gets worse or no better he will need to go back and things will have to be re-assessed.

The radiographer has taken a look at the scans x-rays this morning as a second opinion for the neurologist and agrees there is nothing there that is too worrying at this time.

He does have mild hip dysplasia we are not entirely surprised and of course the front leg arthritis none of which needs clinical intervention and when it might it might be he will be too old anyway too consider that an option. So all in all a good outcome he is 41/2 this month so for his breed it is not surprising these things are setting in it is very common for them and sometimes a lot younger so we are not overly worried about it and now can manage it that we know he definitely does have these conditions rather than thinking he might have them.

We will discuss the abnormalities found in the spinal fluid but again she is not overly worried about them and they do not warrant any medical intervention either at the moment it does not rule out that things may change in the future.

Off to get petrol a big tin of sweeties for the staff and a thank you card for them they have done a wonderful job with a very awkward patient.
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Sounds like he's feeling well enough to be a bit more mischievious! Good news.

I so hope he can go home today and he's on the mend as they think!

Will be thinking of you and Ollie today
Page 14 of 123 « First < 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 64 114 > Last »