Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-01-2008, 01:09 PM

Fire Alarms & Disabilities

Does anyone know what the law states regarding employees with disabilities during fire evacuations (if anything?)

I have mobility problems. Although I can walk, it is painful and the level of pain and discomfort increases the further I have to go. I become dizzy and breathless and it takes incredible control to keep my legs from giving out from under me when they wobble. Normally, I use my car or wheelchair to get around over distances, but I try to use a walking stick for getting around the office because I don't want to lose the little mobility that I have by not using the muscles. I am awarded higher rate mobility on Disability Living Allowance because I find getting around so difficult and I also have a blue parking badge.

I did have two members of staff who were full time and trained in the use of the Evac-chair, as I work on the second floor in my building. However, since the last fire-drill I was involved in (almost eighteen months ago), one has moved to a different building and the other is now part time. Despite me trying to find out who is responsible for ensuring that I can safely get out of the building in the event of a fire, nothing seems to have happened.

So imagine my horror when the fire alarm went off forty minutes ago. I was found by someone who used to be a deputy warden (No one seems to have any idea who the current wardens and deputy wardens are) and she assisted me out of the building - down four flights of stairs and then on a hike to a "safe distance" assembly point. Within minutes I felt dizzy and breathless from the pain, but since no one was sure if it was a drill or a real evacuation, there seemed no option but to carry on. Once I had finally made it to the assembly point, I then had to turn around and go back (fortunately, I was able to use the lift on the return journey to the 2nd floor).

Because the nature of my disability effects all my joints and connective tissues, I am in agony with my knees, ankles, hips and lower back, and am also in a lot of pain in my fingers, wrist and shoulder from having to rely so heavily on my walking stick. My chest is still tight and I feel about ready to pass out or throw up, so I'm going to take an early lunch, have some painkillers and a lie down before trying to get on with this afternoon's work. I'm really cross that there was no consideration given to train replacement staff in the use of the Evac-chair (I am surely not the only disabled person in the building) and that no provision is made for people who struggle with mobility problems to assemble at a closer point.
My old team leader (I have just been transferred to a different team) has said that she will try to find out who the person in charge of the fire procedure is, as the whole thing was an absolute shambles, and that she is going to try to raise with them that we need new Evac-chair operatives, AND a wheelchair or two to be permanently at the bottom of the stairs so that myself and others in my situation can reach the assembly points without almost killing ourselves to get there, but whether anything will come of it or not is another matter.
My OH is furious and wants me to write a formal complaint, so I wondered if anyone knew what my employer are legally obliged to provide to enable me to get out of the building in an emergency.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 01:25 PM
yes they are legally obliged to have evac chair operatives on site at all times!

frie regs state this and also if it is a drill they should at least warn you!!

also i would ask for the afternoon off as you in so much pain at full pay!!!

they are also required to have signs stating who the wardens.first aiders are aswell as evac plans and operatives names!

here is a link i found for you...
http://www.hse.gov.uk/fireandexplosion/workplace.htm

also look at the disability discrimination act...
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Thankyou for the link

I've had a look and there are signs with names on - we seem to have a fire warden and a deputy for each section of our floor - however, I haven't got a clue who any of them are!

I think I will address my concerns to the Health & Safety officer as well as to the Head of our department and request that before the next drill (apparently this morning's incident was burnt toast stuck in the first floor toaster ) that we are introduced to the fire wardens to ensure that everyone knows what is supposed to happen, and that the wardens are aware of anyone who may have difficulty leaving the building.

I haven't a clue who the person listed as our current first aider is either . It used to be one of the Evac-chair operatives (the one that moved), and because she sat near me, she actually did some research on my condition so that she could safely administer first aid if necessary (very useful when the lift was out of order a few years back, and my hip gave way on the stairs ) and she also kept a list of my current medications.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2008, 01:39 PM
in that case they are breaking the law!!

good luck!