Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

24-11-2006, 07:13 PM

Tails of Destruction

Apologies (being new) if this has been asked before.

I was wondering what stories (amusing or otherwise) people might have of doggy destruction !

One of mine (not going to name and shame him in public) who i'll refer to as got up to all sorts when he was a bit younger and I'm sure he's a not alone.

Couple of examples -

Walking down the front path one day (having been out of the house for a couple of hours) there he was - waggy tailed beaming at me through the living room window. "That's odd" I thought as I'm sure i'd left him in hall/stairs/landing with the living room door closed. I opened the front door and there he was in the hall. He'd been at work (on a bit he'd chewed earlier) and made his way right though the stud partition wall.

Parked the car, got out and as usual after a few steps on the gravel the dogs began to bark hello - although one bark seemed to be coming from the bathroom window. "That's odd" I thought as I'm sure i'd left them in hall/stairs/landing. Opened the front door to be greeted by not two but just one dog. I'd obviously left the bathroom door slightly open and had obviously gone in to lie on the cool floor and somehow the door had been pushed shut. I (tried) to open the door but the floor was in the way. Eventually I got in to find him a bit upset but otherwise OK. The floor tiles were away, the inside of the door was stripped of paint. The doorknob was 'gone', the side panel was missing off the bath and he'd pulled the shower curtain so hard that the wooden horizontal pole holding it had been ripped of the wall along with half the plaster.

I'll save the none edible menu stories in case any other 'eating' stories pop up.

Phil
pxxuk
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2006, 08:50 PM
Oh whoops! I think the best has to be when Snoop was very young, it was just after his first Xmas and we got my dad a big box of wine gums. Mum and I popped to the shop to pick up a cake... well, we came through the front door and found a neat little pile of winegums... we thought it was a bit strange so we picked them up. We then carried on through the hallway and found another pile at the end. Again, we picked them up and went on into the kitchen where we found another little pile! We started to wonder what had gone on and discovered in the living room the wreckage of the box and packets along with some partially 'digested' ones. I also found that my box of anti-sickness tablets had a few missing (we still to this day dont know how he reached them on the side... he was only 3 months old!). We started to panic a bit and followed the little piles of winegums around the house. We eventually found Snoop upstairs on the bed in a very sorry-for-himself state!

I was frantic as he had eaten my tablets so I got onto the vets straight away... all the vet could do was laugh down the phone. I asked him if I should bring him around straight away... he again laughed and said "I dont think so, he's already self medicated!" Snoop was fine the next day but he did feel ever so sorry for himself for the rest of the day...
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 09:03 PM
In the early eighties I had an Irish Setter called Holly.

It was the run up to Christmas, and I was working a late shift at the hospital one Friday evening. My husband was going out with his mates and left Holly at about 7.30 I was due home about 8.15.

In that 45 minutes Holly 'ate' every glass bauble off our Christmas tree, the Christmas Cake, and three red candles. The scene of devastation is unforgetable. Some of those baubles were family heirlooms. All that was left hanging on the tree were the little wire loops with threads attatched. She must have popped them all like bubbles.
PS not a drop of blood was seen.
Dawn R.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 09:19 PM
we had a rescue GSD called jess. well she couldnt go in a car terrible travel sickness but hated to be left. well i left her for 1/2 hr, she was in the hall, BUT when we got hhome we found a hole in the back door, she had eaten the cat flap and 1/2 the door. and then broke into the front room and the damage was everywhere, she had chewed up a footstool, u know how many polysteryne beads are in there a trophy charlie won at a bike club. a sofa. a rug, all in 1/2 hour im sorry but she went back to the kennels, would of had less mess if we had been broken into.
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

24-11-2006, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by Nursey View Post
Holly 'ate' every glass bauble off our Christmas tree - not a drop of blood was seen.
Dawn R.
Holly - Very Apt name !

Isn't it amazing (and lucky) what some dogs can get away with !

We had a lot of problems with Fingal chewing when he was a pup - you know the usual stuff - shoe's and things but one day having put all the obvious objects out of harms way - he ate the iron.

I don't mean chew - I mean ate. All that was left was the metal triangular base. I searched for every bit I could to try and established what he'd actually eaten and all I could find (besides the base) was a few little bits.

Everything 'passed' over the next few days - I guess we were lucky that he chews 32 times before swallowing.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2006, 10:20 PM
Max has eaten:
A whole Battenburg cake
A bluetooth headset (still plugged into its live charger)
An Argos catalogue
4 carpet tiles
2 net curtains
1 packet of contraceptive pills
1 Jazz CD
Numerous magazine/papers

And notably..... managed to get a pair of topiary shears (like sheep shears) from the top of the microwave (on top of the kitchen counter) out if their protective envelope, out of the plastic cover, out of the metal blade guard and lick them all over.... (no teeth marks, but he probably had a go!)

And all this before he was 9 months old!!
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

24-11-2006, 10:25 PM
Max is certainly worthy of joining the team !!!

Think CD's were high on Fingals 'crunching' list.