View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-09-2006, 08:54 AM
I agree also that the dogs should be PTS,but again people need educating it could of been any breed of dog.My Sister said maybe people will learn now but we know they won't there were enough dog attack over the Summer and people don't learn.All dogs have the potential to harm and Humans should be very aware of this.It is very sad especiall;y as they weren't their dogs I think that would of made me even more wary.
Mason's mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2006, 09:01 AM
If it were my baby, i'd make sure that it was safely away from any harm and if i was the owner of the rotties and knew that they were guard dogs, i'd never have let someone with an infant look after them.
I don't believe that the dogs should have been put down. i think they should have been rehomed with an experienced handler (without children) and given some behavior work. It's such a waste of life for such a beautiful animal.
Mason's mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2006, 09:03 AM
On a stronger note, if dogs can be given the death sentence why can't humans? there are far more human murders than fatal dog attacks??????
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 09:09 AM
I see your point Mason's mum and agree I would never have let these dogs have unsupervised access to my child if I was the mother, neither would I have let anyone with small children look after then if I owned them, and it is a dreadful waste of life for both the baby and the dogs, but I agree with inca that I would have wanted these dogs destroyed, they arnt just a little agressive they have killed a child it is too much of a risk! Even homing them with some one who doesnt have children doesnt mean they will never come into contact with a child, these dogs being put down was the right thing to do but the way they were brought up was the error and the reason for the needless waste of both the dogs lives and the babies lives!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 09:17 AM
It seems the dogs were quite a problem already. They spent most of their time up on the roof barking and growling at people passing below and alot of parents weren't happy about having to walk their children home from school past these dogs. It's such a shame that nothing was done when people first started complaining. That it had to come to this; a baby is dead and two dogs are put to sleep.

I do agree that they should have been put to sleep. It is quick and painless for them. They are no longer a risk. There are so many other dogs out there needing homes that do not have the problems that those two poor dogs did.

That poor, poor wee baby. My heart bleeds thinking about the wee dote.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-09-2006, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
I see your point Mason's mum and agree I would never have let these dogs have unsupervised access to my child if I was the mother, neither would I have let anyone with small children look after then if I owned them, and it is a dreadful waste of life for both the baby and the dogs, but I agree with inca that I would have wanted these dogs destroyed, they arnt just a little agressive they have killed a child it is too much of a risk! Even homing them with some one who doesnt have children doesnt mean they will never come into contact with a child, these dogs being put down was the right thing to do but the way they were brought up was the error and the reason for the needless waste of both the dogs lives and the babies lives!
Quite agree we all know it isn't the dogs fault but I think like you and Inca it had to be done.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-09-2006, 09:20 AM
when I was out with my girls the other night a couple were on the park with their 2 young children and their rottie. I knew that they had just moved into the local pub as I had heard about the dog.
Well I have to say he was a perfect gentleman. I put my 2 on their leads before I went over as I was unsure as to how he would be, and he was absolute massive!!!
They assured me he was fine, and my 2 went into ecstacies over him, he came over to me and rested his extremely large head in my lap as if to say 'are these 2 for real, must I put up with them???' He was lovely, very obedient but also extremely calm and laid back. I am sure these 2 rotties are the exception to the rule, and who knows how they had been brought up? I think any dog can go bad given the circumstances, they are after all like a child, they are delivered to you as a blank piece of paper, and how they turn out is entirely up to you!!!!
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2006, 09:25 AM
Hmm I think that it was very silly of the pub owners to leave the dogs with friends with a baby, knowing the dogs were attack dogs. But the outcome of this is terrible, why should Rotties be put on the dangerous dogs list for something that wasn't their fault!!!

I think the world seriously needs educating otherwise we are going to end up with a load of perfectly harmless dogs on the dangerous list just because people dont understand how do bring dogs up. However on a slightly different note I believe some parents need educating on parenting now days, the youth of today are if anything worse that a violent Rottie. (no offense to the mounds of people on here who have brought their kids up in the best possible manner)
LongDogLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-09-2006, 10:08 AM
I just read on my Yahoo home page the dogs "are reportedly the babys grandparents". A dreadful situation for all concerned - the poor baby, her parents, the two dogs and also the rescue centres who are apparently expecting an influx of unwanted Rotties.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-09-2006, 10:08 AM
They are having a discusion about this on talksport this morning. Quite interesting views from all angles... Basically it seems that most callers would like dog liscenses but for the owners rather than the dogs....
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >