Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 08:30 PM

who else has food thief dog?

hey, ive been quick to learn that jake is a very food orientated dog. whenever food is around, you can bet your boots jake will be sneaking close by. he has even become a little food thief. the other day i was happily eating my sandwich and all of a sudden half of the sandwich was gone, and then i caught jake sneaking off with it in his mouth! then, today he nicked my 22 month old nieces sandwich out of her hand and made a run for it, obviously knowing he was being naughty lol. then i was eating crisps and every time i tried to put one in my mouth, jake was on top of me trying to snatch it out my hand! and when he isnt stealing the food, he sits and gives you the cutest wee face that is so hard to resist. takes every effort not to give into it lol. he is getting a wee ****** for it lol, anyone else got a dog like this?

lauren
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 08:35 PM
No, but in all honesty I think it is totally wrong for any dog to be doing this behaviour.

IMO a dog should only accept human food when being offered, NEVER take it or fight you for it (your crisp scenario).

When we got Jess she used to be like it, but I simply won't tolerate this.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 08:37 PM
jake will defo be getting taught not to but he's only 9 weeks just now so is just a puppy so is still learning acceptable behaviour

lauren
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
jake will defo be getting taught not to but he's only 9 weeks just now so is just a puppy so is still learning acceptable behaviour

lauren
It's nice to know you will be training him out of it because he will be big before you know it

P.s. what a great cross of dogs
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Hi - i cooked a chicken one day and left it to cool down on the countertop covered over, at the back of the counter. I popped out for 15 minutes, when i came back no sign of the chicken - no mess anywhere nothing - she'd eaten the lot bones and all !

Now everything goes in the microwave to cool down !
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Kismet was exactly like this, it seemed silly and harmless at the time when she was tiny and cute, but it became a serious problem quickly ... be careful... She has to be watched like a hawk around food now.. Her food motivation became food obsession and escalated to potentially dangerous levels in just a few months... Stay calm and consistent... he'll soon learn

Sorry I don't want this thread to be all doom and gloom, I'm sure you are working on it and will soon have it under control.

He'll be just fine and a model doggy in no time enjoy his silly puppy phase it is all too short
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2009, 09:34 PM
lol, was she ok eating the whole chicken? jake will defo be getting lots of training so he gets to be a well behaved and well mannered dog lol. its funny what dogs get into though. even the really well behaved ones. when i had sam, he was the best behaved and sweetest dog i have ever met, but even he did silly things lol. one day, my mum had bought loads of tomatoes from a garden centre and when we went out, sam jumped up and snatched them off the counter and ate the whole lot! my mum wasnt pleased and the next day he got neutured (horrible coincidence lol). after that, he never touched a tomato again, seemed to associate the two lol.

lauren
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 09:36 AM
Hi yes she was fine ! - i was a bit concerned about the bones but she was ok.

I remember years ago we had a siamese cat and mum had cooked sunday dinner and put my dads dinner on top on the hob with a plate covering it for him to eat later. When he came to eat his dinner the top plate had been pushed aside and the meat was gone - my dad was NOT impressed ! the cat had eaten it !
liz & kiesha
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-06-2009, 01:03 PM
I'd never thought of mine as food thief's before last week. I seen them out in the garden chewing something bright yellow and paniced not having any idea of what i had that was yellow. On closer inspection it was banana's
I had no idea dogs even liked banana's, the smell must have been irresistable to them, there have been opportunities in the past to steal something off the counter and they have left it but the power of banana's is obviously too strong
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-06-2009, 02:57 PM
How about 8 sausages still cooking in the frying pan.... Freya ate them all while hubby left the kitchen for a minute. Then removes a pile of chunky chicken from a bed of rice (the rice was sprayed all over the table.. but uneaten).. on the next time he left the kitchen... you`d have thought he`d have learnt wouldn`t you.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >