Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Im obviously in the minority as I actually like the more finished pictures of the primped and preened american dogs It doesnt change the conformation of the dogs (which we must assume is good if they have won BOB, its impossible to tell without getting your hands on them) to have them groomed up nicely. Some of the pictures posted it just looks like the Crufts owners havent put as much work in and I know that they are often working dogs, but it is a dog show and a lot of it is down to presentation too and it wouldnt hurt to run a brush through the coat. Whilst im not so keen on the excessive coats on some of the gundogs, I personally love seeing the american and european dogs at crufts, presented immaculately and trained to perfection
Honestly, I like the primped dogs too, but that could just be what I'm used to. I thought the Cruft's dogs look rather unkempt...

And I much preferred the American Afghan... only because, to my untrained eye, the dogs look identical, except the presentation of the coat.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Im obviously in the minority as I actually like the more finished pictures of the primped and preened american dogs It doesnt change the conformation of the dogs (which we must assume is good if they have won BOB, its impossible to tell without getting your hands on them) to have them groomed up nicely. Some of the pictures posted it just looks like the Crufts owners havent put as much work in and I know that they are often working dogs, but it is a dog show and a lot of it is down to presentation too and it wouldnt hurt to run a brush through the coat. Whilst im not so keen on the excessive coats on some of the gundogs, I personally love seeing the american and european dogs at crufts, presented immaculately and trained to perfection
In the UK I think that if a dog is too barbered and trimmed it is penalised, particularly the gun-dogs.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Fascinating thread, but where are the working Springers???

Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I thought it would be interesting to put up pictures of your breeds Crufts BOB winner along with the Westminster BOB winner to see what differences, if any, there are between breeds in Europe and the USA. Please be aware before posting that photos would be used without permission however!

OK here's the ESS BOB winner at Crufts 2011....

DKCH(U) SECH(U) NCH(U) INTCH SIEGER'S EXTRA POINT

And the Westminster 2011 ESS BOB winner....

GCH WIL-ORION'S TWENTY TWENTY

The differences are amazing and no disrespect to our US members, but I really hope the UK ESS doesn't go the same way as the US one! I find it really bizarre how the coat is so straight and there are no spots!

Nice to see a European Springer winning BOB and nice to see an ESS with less feathering winning too.
Wow, now you're making me a fan of breeding for appearance as well. Although Woody is very colour blocked like the US dog. I much prefer the Crufts winner though, what a smashing looking Springer, look at all those norty spots!

The US husky back looks horrid and I can't believe how different the afgan is, much prefer the UK version.

What is up with the US boxer's ears? I also thought the setters in particular had been GHDd!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
The US husky back looks horrid
whats wrong with its back? I cant see that its much different to the crufts BOB winner?
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 01:34 PM
I'm no expert but it looks too low and sloping to me
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I'm no expert but it looks too low and sloping to me
It looks generally less athletic to me - a bit stockier?

Possibly this is the angle of the pics? Or possibly the coat colour?
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
It looks generally less athletic to me - a bit stockier?

Possibly this is the angle of the pics? Or possibly the coat colour?
Well I did wonder if the lower belly might make the back seem lower? It just looked a touch GSD slope to me, that's all.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 01:42 PM
I am no expert either, but the American husky doesn't look as if it is very fit. Unlike the english one there is very little tuck up and the legs seem so much shorter to me.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 01:44 PM
If you look it does have a tuck up, but hair is covering it - looks to have thicker coat to me...Its abit odd that from a picture people can tell if a dog is fit or not & I can see no slope in the back.. I am looking at different pictures?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
If you look it does have a tuck up, but hair is covering it...Its abit odd that from a picture people can tell if a dog is fit or not & I can see no slope in the back.. I am looking at different pictures?
Everyone has said 'Looks' - the clue is in that word
Page 9 of 17 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »