View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2007, 05:34 PM
did the old cottage have a name????? that you can pass onto the new cottage?? or are you chosing a new name?
No it didn't, but as there are no street names here or house numbers, and no post codes - I will have to register the address at the post office. That address will be exactly the same as everyone else's in that Townland (a townland is a sub division of a parish, but nobody really knows where the boundaries are )
Therefore, yes it will have a name:-

Teach An Cruidin (pr. "Chokkon croojean)

It means, literally, the little house of the Kingfisher, Kingfisher Cottage, anglicised! I have the River Camlin running alongside, it rises in the field behind me, runs through Longford town on it's way to the Shannon.

However, to the locals - and bear in mind that people don't move much over here so many have been here all their lives - it will still be known as "Jim Reilly's place"!

Thanks Steve, you and your gang are welcome to visit, as everyone is (but not all at once! )
CockerMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by Deccy View Post
Therefore, yes it will have a name:-

Teach An Cruidin (pr. "Chokkon croojean)
It means, literally, the little house of the Kingfisher, Kingfisher Cottage,

However, to the locals - and bear in mind that people don't move much over here so many have been here all their lives - it will still be known as "Jim Reilly's place"!
Oh i like both but think "Jim Reilly's Place" is great that's a name that shows real history
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Cottage looking nice now. Once in you can work on it as and when and it will soon be done. Nice name also.

Sue
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2007, 07:50 PM
I am dying to attack the cotoneaster which is running wild on the river bank, one of the elderly neighbours told me that if I cut it back just behind the old gatepost - which I am restoring - I will find the original (200 year old) stone steps down to the water, where the family used to draw water for the house. Like keeping the old gatepost (only one as I had to widen the entrance) I am trying to retain some original features as a mark of respect for the family history there, many of the locals knew Jim Reilly and his family very well in fact one of them (who has a Dalmatian cross ) found said gentleman dead in his armchair... right on the spot that will now be my bedroom.....
I have had to fell one of the old trees, it was in danger of falling down in the next gale, so I will go on a tree planting splurge in the Spring. I now have enough firewood for life!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3