Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2006, 04:53 PM

Split pad - bleeding

Just come in from the garden and noticed blood over the kitchen floor.

It is Harvey's back leg and one of the pads is cut, split from front to back.

I have cleaned it with water but have not applied anything to it, should I be putting something on it ?
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-04-2006, 05:08 PM
Shay did something similar to one of his front pads a few months ago. I bathed it several times a day with salt water (dissolve a teaspoon or so of salt in a pint of boiling water and leave to cool). I tried covering his foot when he went out but he always pulled the covering off so I gave up and just gave the cut a good clean after every time he had been outside. I wouldn't advise putting anything else on it or covering it as bacteria love a damp environment and infection is more likely to set in. I restricted his exercise to 2 short lead walks a day (to let him go to the toilet as he won't go in the garden) but as he was in pain when he walked on it, he didn't seem to mind. It was good as new within about 10 days

I didn't go to the vet because the cut was a clean one and I could see there was nothing embedded in it and vets won't usually stitch pads as they don't take the stitches well but if you are in any doubt at all re: infection, I would recommend a quick trip to the vets just to set your mind at rest
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2006, 05:37 PM
Other than bathing it with salt water each day (preferably about 2 times a day at least) you can actually get something called paw wax. The vets doesn't sell them, but pet shops do apparently.

Never happened to me but I was worried that T's pads were very rough and a bit cracked and it was recommended to me (haven't bothered as the vet said I shouldn't as nothing's actually happened to T's pads like it has to Harvey's).

Hope this helps

Give Harvey a big hug from me!
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2006, 06:04 PM
I found that paw wax stung a cut pad quite severely, if Polly's reaction was anything to go by. I had applied some to her pads as we were showing in a sports hall on a slipperly floor, (which is what paw wax is for) didn't notice while out for a pee break that she had walked over some broken glass, put more wax on just as we went in to the ring and she wouldn't put her foot down without yelping so I had to withdraw her. The wax had got into a fresh cut on one of her pads and was clearly causing a lot of discomfort.
Stick to salty water - it's safe and a good natural disinfectant, and as already said, let the air get to it as well and clean it up between times.

Hope Harvey is back to normal very soon!
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2006, 06:29 PM
agree .....salt or dettol in water
paw wax will sting just make sure there is nothing in there I would also leave it uncoverd so the air can get to it .....if its causing him pain or he won't walk on it pop him to the vets so he can take a better look
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2006, 06:38 PM
Awww, pour little Harvey.

I would just moniter, keep it clean.

I would recomend Aloe Vera Gel, it mild and doesn't hurt helps to prevent infection and promote healing.

Hope its better very soon.

Min xxxx
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Thank you for your reply's, as soon as he did it he went into his crate and went to sleep. he has just woken up and is limping and will not put his foot down, the split looks wider now, I cant be sure if anything is in it or not as he wont keep still so it is obviously sore.

I have cleaned it again with diluted dettol, and think I will take him to the vets in the morning to be sure.

Poor little darling, it is still bleeding and has not dried up.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2006, 07:29 PM
Originally Posted by Harveys Mum
I have cleaned it again with diluted dettol, and think I will take him to the vets in the morning to be sure.

Poor little darling, it is still bleeding and has not dried up.

I think thats the best thing to do.
If you have any melolin dressings and a bandage to hold it in place - thats the best thing to use.

Pads can be a bitch to heal (Teagan has had a few operations and sores on hers), so going for a check-up is the best thing to do

We will be at the vets in the morning too!
Trish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2006, 07:33 PM
Poor Harvey, I hope his poor paw heals soon.
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Awwwwww, pour little Harvey.

Did you run foot under lute warm water to clean and can help to stop bleeding. Apply light pressure with lint free cloth until stop bleeding.

If you have a plaster/bandage tape you could try bringing the gap together to help healing. Try padding where bleeding and bandage to apply pressure to stop bleeding.

Huge big hug and kiss to the brave little boy.

I hope he is better tommorow.

Min xxxx
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >