Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by kobebear View Post
What a terrible thing to have to go through i had tears in my eyes reading your thread its so sad what happened to Cassie, i just cant believe they can just take your own loving family pet away just because they think its dangerous.
Cassie's story also had me in tears
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
The fact is we have a law that targets people with harmless family pets. A law that describes dogs as dangerous based upon what they look like. A law that has not reduced attacks, has not reduced numbers of 'type' dogs and has, by demonising the breed, succeeded only in
making it even more attractive to the sort of owners that shouldn't have any breed.

I am not an apologist for dangerous dogs. I have had the sad task of taking an aggressive dog on that last journey to the veterinarian and would do so again in a heartbeat if I thought it would save an attack.

We need to be protected from dog attacks but BSL doesn't do it. It doesn't work. We need a smarter approach. We need to target bad owners and not the dog that is currently fashionable with those bad owners. Imo, we need a dog ownership test to weed out the numpties before they get a dog.
Excellent post. I especially agree with your last paragraph. Is there any chance at all of a repeal of the DDA?
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Thanks DDA Watch - your article is very interesting. I find it so hard to believe the courtroom scenario - it just sounds ridiculous! And the percentage - what good is an arbitrary number, deduced from probable misinterpretation of a standard with points that could apply to many breeds? It's just awful.
DDA Watch
New Member!
Female 

05-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
Thanks DDA Watch - your article is very interesting. I find it so hard to believe the courtroom scenario - it just sounds ridiculous! And the percentage - what good is an arbitrary number, deduced from probable misinterpretation of a standard with points that could apply to many breeds? It's just awful.
Glad it was useful. Court is an amazing sight. I know of one expert for the prosecution who was arguing her point regarding a certain bone, think it was in the leg.

The defence (owners legal rep) questioned the expert who wouldnt back down at all. The defence legal rep then held up a bone and said "you mean exactly like this one then?" and the expert said "yes, exactly like that" To which the defence replied "interesting. This belongs on a cow!"

Would you believe the defence lost and the dog was deemed a pit bull type!

Also the standard they refer to isnt anything like what most of us think of as a standard. Its a very fanciful piece of writing more than a description of a dog!
mommabear
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-08-2009, 10:07 PM
I watched it was quite upsetting but i understand why they done it. The first one looked like pure breed red noise pittbull. The owner looked the type to have it as a status symbol. This guy was just about to walk off and leave it. It was lovey dog with people unsure what it would been like with other dogs. It was a hard one as i dont think it been broken yet could of probably made a lovely pet to someone with exprience. Yes the owner should been proscuted.

The second looked like pitbull cross and looked like it been used for fighting. They sayed been starved which is what they do before fighting him. I dont belive that owte could be done with this dog it be to much of a risk.

I once know a red noise pitbull he was found starving he was scarred up and fresh wound they think he just fought. He would brake through doors to get to other dogs, he could only be walked when no other dogs were about. He was a killing machine. Very scarey knowing his strengh and if he went for you would not stand a chance. I did not trust him.

since him i met a pitbul cross the other day and it was lovely stil young loves other dogs. The shame about this dog is the owner have her a status symbol so if she dont turn hard she probably end up on the streets and pts due to her breed. It sad they should be assess like any other dog ends up in shelter.

It the good old question are these dogs born killing machine or is there owners that are turning them into one ?
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by mommabear View Post
I

It the good old question are these dogs born killing machine or is there owners that are turning them into one ?
i think that question is answered by the amount of pitbull terriers who are working/service dogs in America - PAT dogs, Rescue dogs etc.. They are what they are big strong dogs who in the right hands can be as soft as butter or as hard as nails.

mommabear
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-08-2009, 10:18 PM
[QUOTE=**Leanne**;1749801]So should Shar Pei's be banned as there known as fighting dogs?! Every single one I've ever met has been a cuddle monster I do think the dog's should be assessed by his/her temperment, not looks. The way things are going it wouldn't surprise me if staffies are next, just due to the bad press they are getting!

I agree when i was younger my mum went to get dog from r.s.p.c.a she fell in love with toby he was a alastion x staffy he was not classed as band dog, but dangrous breed they wanted him pts. They were refusing to let mum have becouse of me i think i was 10 ish. My mum fought them and they said we could have him on a trial he was such loving dog i use to curl up with him he never show any aggression. If i dog try have fight with him he hide behind mum he was a big woss he should been pts. Why ??? he gave us a lot of love.sorry brought tears to my eyes writting this he was such special dog. Run free toby dog xx
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2009, 03:54 PM
im suprised by some peoples opinions of the ban on here. i am totally against it. i think it is the owner, not the dog, and it is the owners who should be getting severe punishments. some of the owners just want to have a 'status' dog, and use them for their own safety.

im not scared of any breed of dog, i am wary though depending on the owner. many... how should i put it... 'dodgey' people live around me, many of who own staffs. im not scared of them if i am by myself, but when i am with jake, i am. he is still young (nearly 5 months) and they are built a lot bigger than him (he is tall but slim and very leggy ) so i am very wary of him going near them, his safety is my biggest priority. purely coz of the owner though, not the dogs. i think it is wrong of me to judge the owners like that, and i admit that but i worry. jake met his first rottie the other day, and she was a big softie. my niece (2yo) and nephew (5yo and scared of dogs) loved her and she was very good with them as they clapped her. they are another breed who have bad press, but they areny all like how the press make out. someone on here even said they dont like pits and agree they should be banned but love breeds like rotties and GSD (a few others that i cant remember - think mastiffs...). that is insane to me, rotties and GSD have bad press (my nephew was bitten by a GSD, unprovoked when he was 2) so why target just pits?? especially when pits are bred to not have human aggression!

i just dont understand why people think it is ok to kill lots of innocent dogs and not punish the people who are treating these poor animals appallingly. a pomeranian killed a 6 week old baby, no one called to ban them. it is obvious the ban is doing nothing...
Page 11 of 11 « First < 8 9 10 11