Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2005, 03:55 AM

Off to vets!

Am off to vets with Potter in a couple of days.
The poor thing has become almost totally incontinent of urine.She became incontinent about 18 months after spaying, this was about 3 years ago. She was on propolene syryp (didnt work at all) changed to Incurin tablets, 1/day worked wonderfully till about 2 months ago when she started wetting when asleep. The vet increased it to 2/day, with no effect at all! Now whenever she sleeps or even relaxes now, a big puddle appears behind her. It is strange, it does not seem to make any difference whether she has just weed outside or not, a large amount still appears. She gets quite upset by this, poor thing.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-09-2005, 04:28 AM
Oh dear It is very distressing for a house-trained dog to experience incontinence. My old girl had a slight problem and she would look absolutely mortified when she realized that she had leaked. Fortunately she just dribbled, no puddles and the meds worked wonders for her.

Hope the vet can find out what is causing Potter's problem as it sounds rather more than the usual odd leaks that aging spayed bitches sometimes present. How old is she? Is she drinking more than normal?

Don't forget to take a urine sample with you for testing, and good luck.

SB
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2005, 04:34 AM
Potter will be 10 on the 25th September. No other health problems apart from the fatty lumps older dogs get, and an underactive thyroid, she is on thyroxine. She is not drinking any more than usual and is eating fine. Good point that urine sample!
Ta for your concern!
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2005, 05:29 AM
Hope the vet sorts her out soon. Keep us informed
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

22-09-2005, 06:00 AM
This just happened to my Bonnie a couple of wks ago, turned out she had a urine infection so worth testing just in case its that. No other symptoms either just puddles when she was asleep! Hope its something simple & easy to clear up
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2005, 07:52 AM
Poor thing ((hugs)) hope she gets sorted out soon
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2005, 08:28 AM
Aww bless good luck at the vets with her
Ruthlynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2005, 08:33 AM
Aaaww, poor little lady! I really hope the vet can help her out!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-09-2005, 09:31 AM
Hi Miss Potter If the vet rules out urinary infection for Potter it may be the muscles controlling the bladder are getting weaker with age as is apt to happen with elderly ladies who have had 'a little problem' previously...if this is the case and nothing can be done you can buy inco sheets similar to 'Kylies' the inco pads they use in hospital that stay dry on the top..
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2005, 05:30 PM
Am a wee (no pun intended ) bit miffed with the vet. Dont know if I am right to be or not? Tell me if I am being too sensitive!
He didnt see Potter or me, just left a message with the receptionist to go on Propalin syryp again. She was on this initially and it worked at first and then stopped working. I did follow thier instructions with doseages etc previously and she was changed to Incrin (which isnt working now). The receptionist said she wasnt on Propalin for long enough last time (this was a message from vet).
I dont know why I feel so miffed, they just have a habit of making me feel an idiot and as if I am doing something wrong all the time! No, I am not in the least too sensitive
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >