Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
littlefoot
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2010, 11:32 AM

Stalking Patterdale

I'm at a bit of a loss on what to do with Momo. We've over come her problem of barking at any passing dog and she now only reacts to ones that bark at her first. But yesterday she started to do something she's never done before. The only way I can describe it is she's stalking approching dogs. It sort of like what Border collies do when herding sheep. She gets very low to the ground and starts moving quickly on her belly. She doesn't pounce at the other dog she just stays low untill they have passed then she reacts. She doesn't look scared when she's doing it and her tail is in a relaxed position. I thought it was a one off thing then when we went out last night she did it with another 2 passing dogs. Anyone have any ideas why and how I can stop her from doing it.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2010, 11:34 AM
What does she do when off lead? Does she play with other dogs?
littlefoot
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2010, 11:43 AM
I don't really let her off lead to much as she was a rescue and I've only had her since January. Her recall is ok but not brilliant she can also be a little nippy with some dogs. So I do worry about her injuring another dog. But the few times she's been off lead she been quite good with the other dogs.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

22-05-2010, 07:25 PM
It sounds like a fear type repsonse to me. I would try being very jolly and exciting when around other dogs to help build her confidence, a squeaky toy in your pocket might be good.

I would also bite the bullet and let her off more. Nipping isn't really a problem (as long as its not causing injury) and other dogs will correct her for it if they are social.
If the recall is poor stick a 40' rope on her collar so you can get her back easier.

Adam
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by littlefoot View Post
I'm at a bit of a loss on what to do with Momo. We've over come her problem of barking at any passing dog and she now only reacts to ones that bark at her first. But yesterday she started to do something she's never done before. The only way I can describe it is she's stalking approching dogs. It sort of like what Border collies do when herding sheep. She gets very low to the ground and starts moving quickly on her belly. She doesn't pounce at the other dog she just stays low untill they have passed then she reacts. She doesn't look scared when she's doing it and her tail is in a relaxed position. I thought it was a one off thing then when we went out last night she did it with another 2 passing dogs. Anyone have any ideas why and how I can stop her from doing it.
Hi, and how lovely that you have taken on a rescue dog. I don't blame you for being reluctant to let her off the lead because it is very early days, and being a terrier she could easily take off after a rabbit or whatever.

What she is doing with the belly crawling sounds like a submissive thing, so she is probably actually frightened of the approaching dogs, and only when they are passed does she recover her confidence. Is she treat orientated? (Use something fantastic like cheese or sausage.) If so, you could try just standing still when a dog approaches - if she crouches down, that is fine. Then give her a treat. If she is not interested until the dog has passed, then give the treat as soon as possible. The object is to get her to associate other dogs with something pleasurable. After a while, you should find that she is happy and confident with other dogs, and will look for her treat.
littlefoot
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Thank you both I'll give them both a try. I'll have a look into getting a long line for her.

We do go to dog training 2-4 times a week and she's not to bad while we are there. She has a couple of minutes barking then soon calms down. It then takes another 20 mins before I can actually let her say hello to the other dogs. If I do it any sooner she gets a little nippy. Admittedly we haven't been for a couple of weeks as my car broke, now it's back up and running we can start going again.

I will definatly try her with some cheese when we're out later though. I would just rather solve something when it starts, than leave it and let it become a habbit. It's just nice to have people to ask.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
It sounds like a fear type repsonse to me. I would try being very jolly and exciting when around other dogs to help build her confidence, a squeaky toy in your pocket might be good.

I would also bite the bullet and let her off more. Nipping isn't really a problem (as long as its not causing injury) and other dogs will correct her for it if they are social.
If the recall is poor stick a 40' rope on her collar so you can get her back easier.

Adam
I have to comment on this post. With respect, patterdales are VERY work and prey oriented. The stalking is most likely a precursor to an attack, they do stalk, many terriers do. Off lead should be done in VERY secure areas only.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

22-05-2010, 09:04 PM
Hi Dawn
I have a jrt who is patterdale in his prey drive. I also work with a fair few patterdales. My experience is that the stalk gives the illusion of a predatory sequence but (even if it is actual drive behaviour) when they reach the dog social behaviour kicks in.
I think if she was pred aggressive to other dogs the nipping would be biting.
The owners original post and discreption of the dogs behaviour also suggested to me that its more of a social response than a prey sequence behaviour.

Adam
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Hi Dawn
I have a jrt who is patterdale in his prey drive. I also work with a fair few patterdales. My experience is that the stalk gives the illusion of a predatory sequence but (even if it is actual drive behaviour) when they reach the dog social behaviour kicks in.
I think if she was pred aggressive to other dogs the nipping would be biting.
The owners original post and discreption of the dogs behaviour also suggested to me that its more of a social response than a prey sequence behaviour.

Adam
Hi again.

Id still have to disagree as stalking is exactly what 2 of my Borders do whilst we are out hunting. One points, uses stalking to approach the prey in much the same way as a Pointer, then marks and points in the same way. The other stalks prey, Birds, Squirrels etc.. low, almost Cat like behaviour, silent movements until close enough to strike when the prey moves.

If this dog is a recent rehome, Im sure its confidence will develop, Id want to be on top of ANY adverse behaviour from a patterdale, as their working instincts are probably the strongest of all the earth dogs I work with.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Wise words from Borderdawn. You do need a Breed expert sometimes! (Although I`m quite taken with the idea of a small but determined Patterdale hauling a 40` rope across rough ground )
With Rescues, it takes time and patience to turn them round, but it is very rewarding.
Maybe walking with a friend with dogs would make yours more relaxed round other dogs?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >