Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2009, 12:46 AM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
definitely a rescue. in which case the dog will choose you and you will have no say in the matter!
i second that! jake chose me wee muppet wouldnt stop jumping on me! i loved it really
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2009, 07:35 AM
I would stay with your beloved breed and go for the older model that needs a home
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2009, 10:27 AM
what about an older staff?? there are so many in resuce it is crazy
ATD x
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by lore View Post
I agree re the oldie, but really out of the smaller breeds, I'd love a border terrier, westie or a cocker spaniel Borders are full of character and so cute, so are westies, and a cocker spaniel...oh my goodness what I wouldn't give for a cocker spaniel, I love them to bits.

Well, okay any and all of the above if I had the room!
a cocker can pull like a steam train lol
ATD x
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2009, 10:41 AM
I say this with a smile on my face....."you lot are useless" the amount of persusion to stay with a Staff is not more than a hairs breadth from a yes....but thought I would expand my horizons.
I adore my breed very much but also not convinced I will be able to hold one in years to come. Hence looking at the option of something smaller.
But I will take on your thoughts, ta muchly.
Simira
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-11-2009, 10:44 AM
What about a minpin? A girl I know in Norway breeds miniature pinschers and staffies and they seem to go well together.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2009, 10:49 AM
I would say Border Terrier. My next small dog will be a Border, I love them!
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
You know where I live Kazz, youre welcome.
Thanks Dawn I know I like Borders having met a few and since "meeting" yours I have become a convert. At least I would not have the problem of finding a "mentor" within the breed....might have a problem shutting you up though

Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
would you not consider a rescue Karen?? Staffie first choice but just an older dog in need of a home??
Yes I have always thought my next one will be a rescue older unwanted (hear the violins ) but holding that youngster for a bit the other day I was not so certain, maybe its my confidence thats been knocked....and it has been a bad week health wise...Lymphoedema...is a horrible secondary condition.
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Can I come back as your next dog - it sounds like a wonderful life with you Of ocurse you can as long as you promise not to roll in horrible things.
Seriously, I think you could have any breed you wanted.

Having seen Anne-Marie's Lola photos, how about a frenchie - they seem to have such character - I'm really taken with them (or with Lola anyway)!

As Dani says, a rescue might be worth considering...that way you could stick to your beloved breed and with so many in rescue (though hopefully the numbers will have reduced by the time you are ready for your next dog), you should be able to find one to meet all your requirements, including being able to pass the PAT tests.
Yeah as you say a long way off yet...hopefuly never as Sal is literally perfection on four legs.

Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
Why not just have a Staff from a pup and make sure from day one it doesn't pull on lead and all the things you want it to do, to train them to do it?
Yes that would not be a problem, however every Staff/dog has a moment of takign off unexpected on the lead regardless....and thats the worry...maybe I worry to much.
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
i think thats a good idea, an oldie would be lovely
Yes maybe maybe....

Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Kazz....hello mate...

Border terrier hun........defo xxxxxxxx would suit you down to the ground, clever intelligent and spunky characters. You'd love um xxx
Yeah I like Borders,my next I think totaly unterrier ish would be the min poodle.

Originally Posted by tabsmagic View Post
So you sound like a dedicated dog person so no reason why above suggestion would not work wonderfully....
but just think of the time and happiness that you could give to a dog in need- i.e a rescue! i would never have anything else!!
Yes I hear the rescue cry loud and clear and almost respond to it ....but maybe the descision will be made for me ...one will just land in my lap
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
definitely a rescue. in which case the dog will choose you and you will have no say in the matter!
Yes maybe you are right in the rescue way, however..I will choose my own dog not vice versa heads rule hearts in dog ownership.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-11-2009, 11:35 AM
I think any of the breeds you mention may suit your purpose.

Re= the health, as with all breeds do your homework and go to a reputable breeder..

I have to say I have a real soft spot for the pug, along with the frenchie/Boston...so they would be my choice.

but as we already have a Border person here, and now a Frenchie, then at least you can go to them for advice.

As for the rescue, you may still have the problem with strenght even in an older, so not sure (as much as its a good cause) it will be suitable for your needs
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2009, 12:00 PM
I'm gonna pipe in here and go with the Border Terrier... They seem to be such wonderful little dogs with loads of goofy personality... but then again, I am a terrier person if I could choose a breed... as it is I rescue and end up with the thrown away mutts with issues, so never likely to get a breed of choice.... but I love my mutts, so not a hardship! LOL
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2