Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-09-2009, 06:20 PM

Cardiomyopathy ?

Hi all -its been a while

Murphy ( 8 year old male Dobe ) has been diagnosed with cardiomyopathy his heart is very enlarged and he has a large amount of fluid around it -the vet says he cannot hear his heart beating at all

He's been started on digoxin and frusemide and has to go back on Wednesday to see the vet again -does anyone know how soon this should kick in ?? I'm not expecting miracles but so far the only difference I can see is his water intake and the amount he's pee'ing obviously the frusemide is doing that but he has no energy whatsoever !
Does anyone have any experience with this condition ??
Thanks
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2009, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
Hi all -its been a while

Murphy ( 8 year old male Dobe ) has been diagnosed with cardiomyopathy his heart is very enlarged and he has a large amount of fluid around it -the vet says he cannot hear his heart beating at all

He's been started on digoxin and frusemide and has to go back on Wednesday to see the vet again -does anyone know how soon this should kick in ?? I'm not expecting miracles but so far the only difference I can see is his water intake and the amount he's pee'ing obviously the frusemide is doing that but he has no energy whatsoever !
Does anyone have any experience with this condition ??
Thanks
Very sorry to hear about your Dog. I lost a 5yrs old Dobe to DCM (Dilated Cardiomyopathy) it was awful. Like your dog his chest filled with fluid. I think you should not let him drink gallons whilst on the frusemide, as he is replacing the water all the time, they are to reduce fluid. Check with your Vet fisrt. The drug most cardiologists are using for DCM is Pimobendan, this is the most effective drug and does extend their life. Very best of luck to you.
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks Dawn ..shall mention that drug on Wednesday
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2009, 07:58 PM
Maybe give them a call tomorrow, DCM in Dobes can kill very quickly, the cardiologists dont know why breeds like Cavaliers can go on for a long time on the same drugs, but not Dobes, Pimobendan is supposed to be the best.

More info here:
http://www.thedobermannclub.co.uk/information.html

http://www.dobermannbreedcouncil.co.uk/cardio3.html
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2009, 08:18 AM
Your vet hasn't prescribed Vetmedin ? It was developed in Germany to treat DCM in Dobermanns & GSDs (& is also used to treat MVD)

Vetmedin kicks in about a week after treatment starts & is used to treat DCM after clinical symptoms are seen.

It kept my Kaycee(Cavalier)alive for 4 years.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2009, 09:31 AM
Vetmedin and Pimobendan is the same drug Dyane. vetmedin is the trade name.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Vetmedin and Pimobendan is the same drug Dyane. vetmedin is the trade name.
I do know that Dawn , just very surprised that a vet wouldn not put a Dobermann with symptomatic DCM on it that's all.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I do know that Dawn , just very surprised that a vet wouldn not put a Dobermann with symptomatic DCM on it that's all.
Yep I agree thats why I mentioned it. We were thinking along the same lines.
Wanda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Had to respond on this topic, as my little Minnie Gremlin, 14 year old Yorkie, is now in final stages of cardiomyopathy.

She is on a cocktail of drugs - Fortekor, Vetmedin, Frusemide and Spironolactone, plus 3 10mg Piriton per day. The Piriton, for some reason, helps her breathing, which is a mystery to everyone, but at this stage we have nothing to lose and the only objective is to keep her as comfortable as possible.

Her exercise tolerance on a scale from 1 - 10 is about 2, but she insists on coming out on "walks" with my other two dogs. However, she only toddles for a few minutes, then I put her into her pet carrier (like a baby carrier) and she rests for a while, then has another little toddle, and so on.

I have discussed her condition with my Vet, and we have agreed that while she still takes an interest in the world around her, eats well and enjoys herself in her own way, and is not in pain or discomfort, she can carry on. I know it will not be long before the drugs can no longer help her, and then she will have to take that final journey, but we just take each day as it comes.

I do sympathise with you, particularly as your dog is not very old, and I do hope the drugs help as they have done with Minnie.
Murphy
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Hi sorry for no replying sooner - I did discuss the Pimobendan with the vet but because it needs to be prescribed with other drugs he didn't really recommend it ( he agreed it was a very good drug but just not the one for Murphy )
There has been some improvement -his heart beat is slightly stronger and his extremeties are warmer -he is showing more of an interest in things and had a short walk yesterday -today he dosn't seem to bothered so far ( but then again there is a slight drizzle and he is made of sugar )
He was reluctant to give me a time scale but said whatever drug Murphy was on he did not think we had more than a year but was more likely to be months. but as long as he's happy enough and not in any pain or distress then we'll take each day as it comes

Wanda I'm sorry to hear about your little dog it sounds like she's living out her days in style
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >