Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
brandy barrel
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-07-2006, 08:05 AM

Please understand!

As many of you will know we took in Samson the rescue dog the other week. I have some sad news to report. We were not given the full picture before we got him and subsequently he has had to be returned.

We are absolutely heart broken, but it turns out he violently killed three sheep at his old home and he also appeared to have severe hip problems. The main issue for us was that he would not stop attacking our ST Bernard. In the end my OH nearly got seriously hurt trying to separate them.

We have a young child and couldn't take the risk that Samson would turn on him. He is now living, as I understand it, in a rescue centre near Blackpool and will not be PTS. However, I am really concerned that this is a truely aggressive dog and he may never find a safe home to live in.

We feel terrible about his situation, but could not risk our family by keeping him and probably wouldn't have offered him a home in the first place had we known his background.

Please don't hate us. We feel we tried our hardest and had the best intentions.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-07-2006, 08:12 AM
No-one is going to hate you BB.

You took him on in good faith. If you were not informed of his full history then you should have been

I hope that the re-homing centre will take full notice of your experience and inform any future potential home of the likely problems.
brandy barrel
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-07-2006, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by Shadowboxer
No-one is going to hate you BB.

You took him on in good faith. If you were not informed of his full history then you should have been

I hope that the re-homing centre will take full notice of your experience and inform any future potential home of the likely problems.
Thanks SB. Samson also nearly killed our cat. Thankfully, I think he only lost one of his lives.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-07-2006, 08:19 AM
OMG how awful for you all. They could have saved you and the dog a lot of trouble had you known the facts.
How did you find out what had happened previously? Did they know his history and just kept quiet or did they themselves not know?
brandy barrel
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-07-2006, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by trouble21
OMG how awful for you all. They could have saved you and the dog a lot of trouble had you known the facts.
How did you find out what had happened previously? Did they know his history and just kept quiet or did they themselves not know?
The lady who rehomed him said she didn't know. We received a call from the previous owners partner. She told us everything, but we had had him a few days by then.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

15-07-2006, 08:25 AM
I have to say I agree with the others no one will hate you you took him in good faith and did all you could for him. Hope the rescue learns from this.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2006, 08:25 AM
aww (((hugs))) no -one would hate you for the inadequacies of what sounds like a ver very poor rescue it was entirely their fault - and very very irresponsible to home a dog like Samson to a home with children and other pets.

best wishes

xx

ETA - if you say the rescue didn't know then that's fair enough - bnut I really think they should have assessed him better :/
Katrina342
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-07-2006, 08:28 AM
That must be heartbreaking for you. You took him on in good faith, and the right questions should have be asked/answered well before you became involved, so that you could make a considered decision on the real facts. There's obviously been a slip-up between the previous owners and the lady who re-homed him.

Don't blame yourself, you've done nothing wrong. I think you've done the right thing by giving him back. You can't put your family at risk, including your own pets. xJx
brandy barrel
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-07-2006, 08:56 AM
Thanks everyone for your support.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-07-2006, 09:11 AM
Awww I'm so sorry it didn't work out with Samson, you did the right thing, you can't keep an aggressive dog with children and other family pets - it's just not fair on them Don't feel guilty about it, you have done nothing wrong. I am just glad you found out before he caused a serious accident to your kids or other animals. (((((((((((((((((((BIG HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))))
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >