View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

20-05-2009, 05:17 PM
If they ever get too much - just send them to me !
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by BigBearsRule View Post
2 puppies in the house is much less work than 3 kids!!lol.

Truthfully Im not finding it that much work - they are very loving and affectionate- you get twice the trouble at times but are repaid by more than double the love. I wouldnt swap them for the world.
Rofl so what your saying is, if i have 3 kids i can handle 2 puppys lol. Think i may try the puppy thing first lol.

Ive got one springer at the min, and hope to get the other when she is over a year old. I hope training will be a bit easier as the pup will have someone to learn off hehe.

Yours are sooo fluffy and already so big.
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 06:51 PM
They are lovely

I have to reiterate about the exercise - you really cannot be too careful with young giant breeds.

I'm quite surprised that you found a breeder that would let you have two together. That's very rare amongst the breeders I know.
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 07:03 PM
Beautiful babies

and a BIG DITTO on the exercise from me too ....

So much damage can be done to those bones for up to 18mths old, especially the impact of tackling stairs/steps, a small price to pay now for their future health
BigBearsRule
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2009, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by ShaynLola View Post
They are lovely

I have to reiterate about the exercise - you really cannot be too careful with young giant breeds.

I'm quite surprised that you found a breeder that would let you have two together. That's very rare amongst the breeders I know.
I will bow to the greater knowledge of more experienced owners.

The issue of exercise is confusing, as even on this site opinions differ. Some people advise 10 mins twice a day, some 5 mins per month of life and some only 1 min per month.
I mistakenly allowed my puppies to set the rule of thumb, as what they felt comfortable with.

My breeder was more than happy to sell me 2 pups, because I had done all my research before even approaching her. I knew all about illness and life expectancy of the breed. I had spent hours reading articles and sites connected with Newfoundlands before ever trying to buy one.
I accept that as a newbie NewfieNut I will make mistakes, but boy are we going to have fun learning together.
BigBearsRule
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by DippyLeo View Post
Beautiful babies

and a BIG DITTO on the exercise from me too ....

So much damage can be done to those bones for up to 18mths old, especially the impact of tackling stairs/steps, a small price to pay now for their future health
My girls are never allowed upstairs, we have them securely gated off. They only walk on a large grassy field and on the 200 yards of path it takes me to get there.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Gorgeous big fluffy pups More pics soon please x
DippyLeo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Thats the thing with having two, they just romp around with each other and its hard to stop them cos its so great to see them playing together

I must admit I avoided all areas that had steps & stairs for the longest time, its always better to air on the side of caution

You have fun with your babies enjoy them whilst they're small (ish) its truly amazing how quickly they grow!

Keep the piccies coming (please )
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 07:44 PM
What gorgeous cuddle monsters
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by BigBearsRule View Post
I will bow to the greater knowledge of more experienced owners.

The issue of exercise is confusing, as even on this site opinions differ. Some people advise 10 mins twice a day, some 5 mins per month of life and some only 1 min per month.
I mistakenly allowed my puppies to set the rule of thumb, as what they felt comfortable with.

My breeder was more than happy to sell me 2 pups, because I had done all my research before even approaching her. I knew all about illness and life expectancy of the breed. I had spent hours reading articles and sites connected with Newfoundlands before ever trying to buy one.
I accept that as a newbie NewfieNut I will make mistakes, but boy are we going to have fun learning together.
I'm not questioning your knowledge, committment or level of research at all. It's just that two pups of any breed together bring the potential for certain issues. Not only are they much more work at this age (as I'm sure you are discovering ) but there is a chance that, when they reach adolescence they may fight for 'position' of dominance over one another. Now, sometimes this is something that they sort out between themselves with the mimimum of drama but it is equally likely that there could be a serious falling out which may never be resolved. This is true of any breed but obviously the potential for physical damage to the dogs (and any human that happens to get in the way) is immense with such big dogs. That would be my main concern and is the primary reason that the breeders I know don't recommend two together to all but the most experienced of homes.

Anyway, I'm sure your breeder will have prepared you for this but thought I should explain it for the benefit of anyone else who happens upon the thread
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2