Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2008, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Panacur is a dog wormer too.
http://www.intervet.co.uk/Species_Pa...og_Wormers.asp
It is the one.

I really wouldn't worry about Giardia too much. A lot of dogs carry it and chances are if your dog has it, it won't be having that much of an impact if his condition has been diagnosed by surgery for your vet to have gone down that road I am sure they will have ruled giardia out as the cause.
Oh I didn't realise this dog has had surgery and has been diagnosed already with inflammatory bowel disease. I just want to point out here, that MY vet did not think of Giardia with my own dog until I mentioned it to him myself (oh the joys of t'internet!)and he readilly said "yes, could be", so maybe some vets wouldn't think of it either??? You never know do you!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2008, 07:53 PM
well he was give metronidizole on a 2week course just before surgey(about three months ago) and as he didnt improve after that he then had surgery and ibd was confirmed-so i would of thought that if metronidazole would of cleared up any guardia he may have had then.
how long do wormers usually take to clear out the burden-i do worm on a regular basis-but more preventative so havnt really had to see if it is cleared??
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2008, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Oh I didn't realise this dog has had surgery and has been diagnosed already with inflammatory bowel disease. I just want to point out here, that MY vet did not think of Giardia with my own dog until I mentioned it to him myself (oh the joys of t'internet!)and he readilly said "yes, could be", so maybe some vets wouldn't think of it either??? You never know do you!
Fair point, but I have had a few dogs to the vet with runny botts and they have all suggested giardia very early on, infact they have all imediately wormed with Panacur just to be on the safe side.

With this dog having passed lots of worms and having had investigative surgery with the result being a conclusive diagnosis for the problems,I just don't think Giardia comes into play necessarily, unless it makes any outbreaks of dire rear worse...I don't think the giardia, in this case, would trigger a relapse, but it could make it last longer/make it worse. Having said all that I'm not a vet...
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2008, 07:56 PM
A wormer should work overnight, with dead worms being deposited next morning. Is that what you mean?? Is he back on the Metronidazole now then?? He may have needed a much longer course than 2 weeks? Ask your vet about SIBO too when you next speak to them, and also ask about the possibilities of this Giardia just to be doubly sure. After all, you're paying the bill (or the insurance co. are!), so ask all you want!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
well he was give metronidizole on a 2week course just before surgey(about three months ago) and as he didnt improve after that he then had surgery and ibd was confirmed-so i would of thought that if metronidazole would of cleared up any guardia he may have had then.
how long do wormers usually take to clear out the burden-i do worm on a regular basis-but more preventative so havnt really had to see if it is cleared??
I think you can rule out giardia then
Page 7 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7