Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
EBMEDIC
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-11-2008, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Gillbo64 View Post
I swear by them for personal use (it does help that my OH has a degree in complimentary medicine!) I haven't tried them on my dogs as such, but a friend brought her poodle back from death's door using homepathic medicine after eating something poisonous. The conventional vet had said there was nothing else that could be done & that the dog should be PTS as she would suffer a slow, painful death!
I have used locally produced honey in my dog's diet as a treatment for hay fever, this basically works in the same way as homeopathic remedies.
No not really, more like vaccination than anything though not exactly that either. homeopathy works?? on a discredited model of disease that breaks all know theorie of science including chemistry physics and logic
drmark
New Member!
Male 

09-11-2008, 08:59 PM
While true that higher potencys have "less" ingredient, it is MORE powerful. homeopathic remedies were develop by giving the remedy at higher and higher doses UNTIL symptoms showed up. this THEN became the remedy to treat those symptoms. a little wacky to understand, but thats the way it is. so higher doses can cause symptoms. thats why they are only available by prescription
dr mark
EBMEDIC
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-11-2008, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by drmark View Post
While true that higher potencys have "less" ingredient, it is MORE powerful. homeopathic remedies were develop by giving the remedy at higher and higher doses UNTIL symptoms showed up. this THEN became the remedy to treat those symptoms. a little wacky to understand, but thats the way it is. so higher doses can cause symptoms. thats why they are only available by prescription
dr mark
IN the US it is not the strength that defines which are prescription but the disease which it is aimed at treating. Ie if it is going to self cure then you can get OTC if it REALLY needs treatment then you have to go to a doctor anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulat...#United_States

In the UK homeopathy is not regulated at any dilution. The regulation of water doses being too much even for the labour government.

The law of similars is a poor model of disease that is discredited and makes very little sense as it only describes the superficial symptoms and fails to understand or move on with the understanding of the pathology of disease. Administering lots of washing soda (which induces vomiting) will not provide a cure for vomiting
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by EBMEDIC View Post
In the UK homeopathy is not regulated at any dilution. The regulation of water doses being too much even for the labour government.
They still funded a £10 million homeopathy clinic - think it's in London - makes me want to cry!
drmark
New Member!
Male 

10-11-2008, 06:20 PM
wow. slow down people. this was an attempt to talk to laymen on how basic homeopathic principles were founded. this is not a discussion of classical homeopathy vs symptom relief. relax!
dr mark
EBMEDIC
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by mse2ponder View Post
They still funded a £10 million homeopathy clinic - think it's in London - makes me want to cry!
I know I know, couldn't agree more
EBMEDIC
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-11-2008, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by drmark View Post
wow. slow down people. this was an attempt to talk to laymen on how basic homeopathic principles were founded. this is not a discussion of classical homeopathy vs symptom relief. relax!
dr mark
Why should we relax? Animal health is important to everyone here - All that can be given here is advice; so it should be sound advice. In that spirit I commend a thorough reading of
http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/20...nt=channellink

There are other links that explore the reasons people cling to outmoded concept in my other posts. We as people are unable to evaluate evidence in the medical/biological field without appropriate tools.

There is a reason scientists vets and doctors set these hurdles for investigation. I don't think people realise that
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-11-2008, 09:21 AM
As with everything, you will get some scientists telling you one thing, and then another bunch of scientists telling you the opposite.

All are equally "qualified" and all seem just as plausible as each other.

For me, I have tried homeopathy on my dogs when all else failed. It worked and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

The main problem with homeopathy and herbal remedies as I see it is that because it is still seen as 'fringe' medicine, there are more sceptics than converts, and he who shouts loudest tends to "win". As homeopathy grows with popularity and correspondingly evidence of cure, so will the number of sceptics diminish.

Remember, the world used to be flat.....
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by Ziva View Post
As with everything, you will get some scientists telling you one thing, and then another bunch of scientists telling you the opposite.

All are equally "qualified" and all seem just as plausible as each other.

For me, I have tried homeopathy on my dogs when all else failed. It worked and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

The main problem with homeopathy and herbal remedies as I see it is that because it is still seen as 'fringe' medicine, there are more sceptics than converts, and he who shouts loudest tends to "win". As homeopathy grows with popularity and correspondingly evidence of cure, so will the number of sceptics diminish.

Remember, the world used to be flat.....
Have any scientists offered any proper research detailing the positive effects of homeopathic medicine in animals?

I'm afraid I'm a skeptic with regard to homeopathy. To me, diluting an active ingredient to the point where few or no molecules of it are in the resulting solution seems completely illogical, bordering on ridiculous. Herbal remedies however, aren't they a completely different kettle of fish? Many modern medicines are derived from naturally occurring compounds arent they? So I have no problems with these at all.

I can almost begin to see why some doctors are now recommending homeopathic medicine; it's pretty cheap (just giving people sugar tablets), pretty harmless (just giving people sugar tablets) and it does get results (via the placebo effect - patients positivity enabling them to feel 'better'). It's been proven that the placebo effect can have positive results in humans, so I wonder whether people 'observe' positive effects when they've treated their pets with homeopathic medicine? I'd love to conduct a study! I'm not trying to sound harsh, but I couldn't 'treat' my dogs with something that, at best, might make me feel better.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2008, 10:19 PM
This thread got so technically, i decided to stay away for a bit, as i haven't a clue and thats why i asked some basic questions.

I have spent £8,000 on a op and dealing with an open wound that wouldn't heel up after surgery.

~I have had about 5 vets input and they are at a loss as what to do next.

It was suggested, by my vet, that munuka honey had good healing properties and although he knew nothing about it might be worth giving it a go.

~The results where/are amazing. Nothing the vet has done has healed this wound like the honey does. Within 24hrs of applying it, it improves drastically.

My question as i know nothing about homeopathy. Would using honey come under the homeopathy umbrella or is this something completely different.

~Am i right in believing that homeopathy medicine is based on a lot of natural products. Going back to nature so to speak.
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »