Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Hi Kirstie

Sorry to hear the vets have kind of given up on Jess I haven't used homeopathy myself, or with the dogs, but my dog walker swears by it. She had a GSD several years ago that had just about every health problem known to man. SHe was treated conventionally as far as possible by the vet but the vet also recommended giving homeopthy a try for certain ailments as well and by all accounts, it worked well.

In your situation with Jess, I wouldn't hesitate to give it a go. I can't see that you have anything to lose. I fully intend to investigate it further (particularly acupuncture) for Shay in the event that his arthritis worsens or he stops responding to the supplements that appear to be keeping it under control at the moment.

Poor Jess has been through such a lot since her op...I really hope this works for her if you decide to pursue it...fingers crossed!
drmark
New Member!
Male 

13-10-2008, 10:50 PM
homeopathy is experiencing a large resurgance. for those of you in the philadelphia area, did you know that Hahnamen hospital is actually named after the father of homeopathy, Samuel Hahnamen? And it was one of the biggest homeopathic hospitals in the country?
low potencys are fine for home use, such as arnica for bruises and sprains. Higher potencys are prescription as they can be powerful
dr mark
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2008, 10:57 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies, we have all been away last week for a little holiday so haven't sorted anything out yet. She was belting around the beach at full speed, so it doesn't stop her.

There is a bit of me that thinks her poor leg needs to be left alone and all the fiddling around seems to have done very little good.

But i haven't wiped out the thought of homeopathy, will make some decisions in the next couple of weeks and just see how her legs doing naturally. Thanks for everyones input though.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-10-2008, 10:57 PM
I've never used it, but am very interested in after having a lecture on it at Uni a while ago - very interesting!

I'd love to become a Homeopath one day, but it ain't cheap to train! I'm a huge fan of natural remedies and would urge anyone just to give them a try. I managed Woody's arthritis very well on natural remedies right until a couple of months before he died.

It's worth a try, you've got nothing to lose. Except a few quid of course!

Let us know how you get on.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2008, 09:25 AM
A previous vet (she moved away ) was really into `alternative` stuff so she would always try less invasive measures where possible - homeopathy, acupuncturem chinese herbs etc. She prescribed homeopathic stuff for my dogs instead of boosters and also for flare-ups of arthritis. My attitude is that it can`t hurt, so why not?
I know lots of people who swear by it for their dogs and that can`t be down to the placebo effect.
junetan7
New Member!
Female 

27-10-2008, 04:10 PM
I'm studying this up currently. Will be using this on my westie soon, to help him with skin problems.
drmark
New Member!
Male 

30-10-2008, 09:14 PM
remedies like psorinaheel, cutis comp. hepar sulf are all good for skin.
you need to work with a vet who knows what they are doing. especially at higher potencies, homeopathic medications can cause adverse effects. just because something is "natural" doesn't mean its always safe!
dr mark
Gillbo64
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-10-2008, 10:32 PM
I swear by them for personal use (it does help that my OH has a degree in complimentary medicine!) I haven't tried them on my dogs as such, but a friend brought her poodle back from death's door using homepathic medicine after eating something poisonous. The conventional vet had said there was nothing else that could be done & that the dog should be PTS as she would suffer a slow, painful death!
I have used locally produced honey in my dog's diet as a treatment for hay fever, this basically works in the same way as homeopathic remedies.
urbangypsy
New Member!
Female 

31-10-2008, 12:26 PM
there is a book called 'homeopathy for dogs' which gives you all the remedies and ailments and how to treat them. It gives you the recommended dosage. All the tablets I purchase give the strength of each tablets ie 10mg arnica and the book tells you what dosage. I was told many years ago that you couldnt overdose on homeopathy as what your body didnt need, it rejected. I will check this out.
Ive used homeopathy for going on 20 years without any problems and with great success.
EBMEDIC
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-11-2008, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by drmark View Post
homeopathy is experiencing a large resurgance. for those of you in the philadelphia area, did you know that Hahnamen hospital is actually named after the father of homeopathy, Samuel Hahnamen? And it was one of the biggest homeopathic hospitals in the country?
low potencys are fine for home use, such as arnica for bruises and sprains. Higher potencys are prescription as they can be powerful
dr mark
Surely higher potencies have less active ingredient??? beside I thought homeopathy had no side effects and was very safe???
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »