View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2012, 08:07 AM
That winking smilie just went right over your head there didn't it?
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2012, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
And if you could not afford those foods?
I would feed what i could afford at that time. If I was forced to feed cheaper dry food i'd prob try opt for Skinner's and top off with cheap and free meat/bones from the Butchers as much as I could.
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-08-2012, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
That winking smilie just went right over your head there didn't it?
I was thinking that... lol
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2012, 10:17 AM
There are plenty of brilliant dog foods available very cheaply.
Skinners and CSJ are the first that come to mind. CSJ is defo cheaper than a lot of terrible foods like pedigree/iams/bakers etc
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2012, 11:00 AM
We are so bloody lucky in this country that food is in such abundance we can judge people on what they feed their pets.
Of course if someone was feeding their dog entirely on cream cakes they'd need telling. Supermarket own brand kibble, if that's what they can afford? What is the issue? It's not poison.
I'm pretty skint atm, I'm feeding dirt cheap Gusto for the main, supplemented with Butcher's tins, suitable leftovers and the odd bit of raw. I'll send my poor neglected dogs your way, shall I Pippa?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by PB&J View Post
We are so bloody lucky in this country that food is in such abundance we can judge people on what they feed their pets.
Of course if someone was feeding their dog entirely on cream cakes they'd need telling. Supermarket own brand kibble, if that's what they can afford? What is the issue? It's not poison.
I'm pretty skint atm, I'm feeding dirt cheap Gusto for the main, supplemented with Butcher's tins, suitable leftovers and the odd bit of raw. I'll send my poor neglected dogs your way, shall I Pippa?
Completely agree with this. I don't understand dog food snobbery myself. My dogs eat sh*t and dead rotting things so I am certainly not going to be spending silly money on foods like Orijen and other such expensive brands. If I were to feed those brands and even ones like James Wellbeloved (with retails for £50+ a 15kg sack) it would cost me far more to feed my dogs per month than to feed myself. That is just silly. I love my dogs but I am certainly not going broke just to feed them something someone tells me is "the best".

I can't help but feel most of these expensive brand are marketed at us and nothing else. Does a dog care if it is eating wild caught Atlantic salmon? or free range Norfolk Black turkey? no, it doesn't.

Cheap doesn't always equal rubbish. Cheap also doesn't mean that the dogs suffer for it. Most people I know feed their dogs cheap food and their dogs look super.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2012, 11:29 AM
PB&J and Labradork I agree with you both. Provided the dog does well on the food they are on what is the issue?

The best dog food is the one that suits dog and owner, and I don't think you should feel pressured to feed your dog the best food. I don't think many people eat 'the best' My BMI is 21, I run marathons, ride several horses a day and my skin/hair/health is good, I defo do not eat what nutritionists insist you must eat, and I'm no worse for it. I think a lot of it is a marketing ploy, and cheap doesn't always = terrible and I don't understand why people think it does.
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2012, 11:55 AM
The offer's still there, Pippa. Don't worry, I'll pack Gracie's muzzle. You might find them a bit challenging but at least they'll be eating proper food, eh.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Totally agree with PB&J and Labradork but I'm confused I thought pippam was still out of work so surely cam't be feeding expensive food?
Roofs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-08-2012, 01:53 PM
God, Orijen made my puppy fart like you wouldn't believe! I feed him on a mix of Wainwrights wet and dry, he looks superb (vet said he was an excellent example of a good weight for his breed!) and it costs me about £20 a month, if that!
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >