Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hailstr0m
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by Pawsonboard View Post
I would hope it is better than bakers! Bakers is an awful food!
Ha ha I have never really fed a dog exclusively on dry food so I am not qaulified to argue that. We just got Bakers as it seemed to be popular but they seemed to always leave the black kibbles. Not sure what they are but there always seemed to be a layer of black kibbles left at the bottom of the bowl. I hear Asda Hero is made by Pedigree Chum so it should be fairly decent.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by Pawsonboard View Post
I would hope it is better than bakers! Bakers is an awful food!
It is freaky that every single person who has said to me they are having problems with a hyper dog are feeding them bakers, you can almost see a bakers fed dog as the one out of control zooming around the park totaly unable to listen to their owner
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-08-2012, 04:35 AM
One of the rescues I was looking at before we got Guinness has written into their rehoming contract that the dogs are not to be fed on Bakers.
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-08-2012, 07:03 AM
Originally Posted by Hailstr0m View Post
Ha ha I have never really fed a dog exclusively on dry food so I am not qaulified to argue that. We just got Bakers as it seemed to be popular but they seemed to always leave the black kibbles. Not sure what they are but there always seemed to be a layer of black kibbles left at the bottom of the bowl. I hear Asda Hero is made by Pedigree Chum so it should be fairly decent.
Pedigree is also full of rubbish., Sorry! Easy to see how the media can make people think otherwise isnt it.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2012, 07:14 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
It is freaky that every single person who has said to me they are having problems with a hyper dog are feeding them bakers, you can almost see a bakers fed dog as the one out of control zooming around the park totaly unable to listen to their owner
Obviously im not implying Bakers is in any way a decent food, but just to.add an.opposite view my Ben was on it for years (before i knew any better) and he was never hyper.
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-08-2012, 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
Obviously im not implying Bakers is in any way a decent food, but just to.add an.opposite view my Ben was on it for years (before i knew any better) and he was never hyper.
A family friend has his gundogs on it, they are all in top shape. I think it does depend on the dog though, when we used to live with my OH's parent their dog was on bakers and rox was on wainwrights. Rox used to steal rogers food when he would get distracted by something shiny lol. She was never hyper on it but roger was. I guess its like us, some people can eat crap food all the time and be fine while others really have to watch it.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2012, 07:26 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I used it for a while
TBH I looked at it and it didnt seem any worse than lots of the premium dry foods - I fed their premium one which really was a cheep as chips
He ate a whole bag of it before going off it and he looked as good as he did on any dry - really seems OK
Cant rem the ingredients now
http://groceries.asda.com/asda-estor...questid=143550
Cereals , Meat and Animal Derivatives (min. 4.0% Beef in Red Chunk) , Oils and Fats , Derivatives of Vegetable Origin , Minerals , Vegetables (Peas min. 4.0% in Pea Kibble) , Lucerne , Yeast (0.08%) , Citrus Extract (0.03%) , Yucca Extract
Wouldn't say it was comparable to a premium product, but on par with your usual lower end ones really. Probably better than Bakers but I would check whether it is actually a cheap food to feed - on another forum someone's relative was having issues with a dog and allergy type symptoms, they switched from Hero (wet) to Autarky salmon flavour and the symptoms all cleared up - but not only that, they've found the Autarky better value for money as they have to feed less of it.
lynni
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-08-2012, 07:32 AM
I stopped feeding Benji Baker's food as it made him itch and very hyper.I use Arden Grange kibble along with raw meat/bones/the odd bit of cooked liver and the difference in Benji and his coat is amazing!
Hailstr0m
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-08-2012, 07:54 AM
What's your recommendation? We've only really ever gone by what you can get in Supermarkets but a trip to Pets at Home wouldn't be out of the question.
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-08-2012, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by Hailstr0m View Post
What's your recommendation? We've only really ever gone by what you can get in Supermarkets but a trip to Pets at Home wouldn't be out of the question.
James wellbeloved
Wainwrights
Arden Grange
Orijen
Fish 4 dogs

James wellbeloved and wainwrights you can get from pets at home, arden grange you can get from waitrose and the other 2 you can order online. Have a look on here, there are loads of threads with reccomendations for good kibble
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »