Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-09-2008, 08:12 AM
Tun had his ribs accompanied by belly pork

LOVED them! He always enjoys belly pork and ate 2 ribs and when I tried him with a few more a day or so later he buried them a few times before eating them.

Hes not a big eater so i find belly pork a great way to get fat into him!
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Jamie has just eaten his first lot of pork ribs!! This is a boy who doesn't do bones He absolutely loved them too, Deacon loves them too.... just need to get Remy to join in!!
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Cally you can't just quote figures like that without saying where they have come from. And just because some pork is slightly high in fat (although as we said before i wouldn't be feeding mine whole slabs of bacon) doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't feed it to a dog. As the others have said, pork has great nutritional value and it;s not like we are talking about giving a dog a diet purely based on pork products. It's part of a balanced diet.

I don't know why you seem so determined to find a problem with pork and if it's off the back of what your vet said, well you know my opinion about him.

I think you need to do some serious research and reading (from a REPUTABLE source) before coming out with some of the daft comments you have. Please don't ruin the valuable advice that many on this forum have by posting these half baked old wives tales.
scarter
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-09-2008, 04:22 PM
I recently tried my dog on a raw food diet and did lots of reading from a variety of different sources. There is a great deal of contoversy over the feeding of raw pork. Some give dire warnings against it whilst others maintain that it's completely safe.

Some of the explanations that I came across were:

In Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats but Kymythy R. Schultze, C.C.N., A.H.I doesn't recommend pork and says:

Althought some animal caretakers successfully feed raw pork, many animals find it difficult to digest
From this site:

http://www.katberard.com/hol_bonesandfood.htm

A Note About Feeding Pork to Dogs. Recently in my monthly newsletter I stated that Pork should never be fed raw to dogs. The United States is NOT free from a swine disease known as Aujeszky's Disease or pseudorabies. This disease is incurable in and fatal to dogs. If you feed pork, be sure it is well cooked.
However, she also points out that it can be killed by freezing and that for a variety of reasons the risk isn't that high.

From the ukbarfclub.co.uk:

Do not feed pork. If your dog has a skin or bowel problem
Others claim that raw pork is very bad for dogs for the same reason that it's bad for humans to eat poorly cooked pork - there is a risk of getting worms.

However, in his book "Work Wonders" Tom Lonsdale says that it's a suitable food for most dogs. However, I notice that he points out that chicken wings should only be given to the smallest of dogs. He claims that larger dogs tend to swallow pieces whole leading to a possible risk of blockage.

At the end of the day even the experts have very differing ideas of what's good, bad or dangerous. There is no 'right' or 'wrong' approach simply because there hasn't been any research - just differing opinions. Some people have letters after their names that might cause us to put more faith in their opinions; others claim to have years of experience of raw feeding. Yet still people WITHIN these groups disagree over these matters.

Whatever you want to feed your dog you'll find an 'expert' that says it's fine and and 'expert' that says it's the worst thing you can do.

I never came across anything that scared me off feeding raw pork...and I searched long and hard. You get lots of dire warnings about feeding raw salmon too, but provided you know the source I think that's quite safe to. I had more doubts about chicken wings yet pretty much EVERYONE (except Tom Lonsdale) seems to think that's fine.

When it comes to humans there are lots of regulations and lots of thorough clinical testing before anything is let loose on us. We're used to being given guidlines that we can trust from a single governing body. There is no such luxury when it comes to our pets. All the 'experts' are squabling amongst themselves and there are no satisfactory studies or research for us to rely on.

All you can do is choose a food that you feel comfortable with and hope for the best.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 08:41 AM
Pork won't be suitable for all dogs, but then some dogs don't do well on chicken or beef. Mine can't tolerate white fish. On the whole though, if you've tried it and your dog is not consipated or sick, it's suitable.

With regard to high fat content in pork, no one is suggesting feeding solely pork. A good raw diet has variety. I eat healthily, but I do eat some food which are higher in fat than others. The point is to keep it balanced. And I can't imagine any raw feeder whose done their homework feeding bacon and sausages!!!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Pork won't be suitable for all dogs, but then some dogs don't do well on chicken or beef. Mine can't tolerate white fish. On the whole though, if you've tried it and your dog is not consipated or sick, it's suitable.

With regard to high fat content in pork, no one is suggesting feeding solely pork. A good raw diet has variety. I eat healthily, but I do eat some food which are higher in fat than others. The point is to keep it balanced. And I can't imagine any raw feeder whose done their homework feeding bacon and sausages!!!
I have never fed raw, but our family dog could eat any cooked meat apart from POrk, it always gave her bad runs. ANything else was fine.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2008, 09:53 AM
I've decided against feeding both my dogs pork ribs as I'm not convinced that the bad bout of diarrhoea Molly had a wee while ago was unrelated to the pork ribs. I don't want to risk it again. I followed the advice on freezing them for a couple of days before feeding as well.

They don't need the pork ribs anyway. I have a few in the freezer, not many, that are going straight in to the bin!
mandydog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Wise move, Westie. I think pork is too rich and fatty for dogs. I don't feed it at all.
Kyle2008
New Member!
Female 

13-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Pork ribs are a type of food dish popular in North America and Asian cuisine. Pork and bones from a pig's ribcage are cooked by smoking, grilling, or baking together (usually with a sauce, primarily barbecue sauce), and then served.
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-10-2008, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by Kyle2008 View Post
Pork ribs are a type of food dish popular in North America and Asian cuisine. Pork and bones from a pig's ribcage are cooked by smoking, grilling, or baking together (usually with a sauce, primarily barbecue sauce), and then served.

er... thanks for that. I think we all just about figured out what they were!!!!
Page 6 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >